Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #781 of 5,992
Does anyone know where to get replacement pads for the 900? I couldn't find parts on the Ultrasone site. And I can't find online retailers that specifically have Ultrasone pads. My earpads are becoming pathetically thin and it's putting the driver way too close to my ear; killing the soundstage. If anything, I'm will to try the J$ pads but I'd rather not spend that much.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #782 of 5,992
 You even went through the extra pads they supply?

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #783 of 5,992
Well the thing is I actually don't own the Pro 900s but the Pro 2500s. The 900s have thicker and nicer pads...and maybe last longer? I'm on my spare set right now of my Pro 2500s and I'd like to have nicer pads to upgrade to. My spare set, while fairly fresh, actually looks a bit shallow to me to begin with. Even my much older Senn HD 555s with way more head time have lusher, thicker pads.

I've been thinking of buying replacement pads of a different brand (Beyer? AKG?) and fitting them with the speed lock frames from my old worthless Ultrasone ones. But the problem is I don't know if they are the same sizes or not. I believe Ultrasone pads are 10 cm in diameter.

Nachkebia's J$ "mod" looks tempting but it's a bit expensive for a college kid like me. Also, leather pads on an open can is...odd? Actually I'm pretty curious now.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #784 of 5,992
Well, they ended up having to refund my money due to them being backordered. I'm thinking that the sudden upsurge in popularity has left Ultrasone with a bit of a supply problem that won't be fixed for a little while. Completely ridiculous, yes, but I don't think they expected a Head-Fi thread to go head over heels with their top PRO-brand AFTER Christmas.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #785 of 5,992
Well I just got my pro 900 today and am already in love with it's sound. The one concern that I have is the earpads... they seem very flimsy unlike the pads on the hfi-2400 which I previously owned. The pads on the pro 900 just feel cheap and uncomfortable. Also I got two black pads instead of a black and a silver?

Is there a place where I can order the hfi-2400 pads? I prefered those greatly over these pads.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #786 of 5,992

Quote:
Well I just got my pro 900 today and am already in love with it's sound. The one concern that I have is the earpads... they seem very flimsy unlike the pads on the hfi-2400 which I previously owned. The pads on the pro 900 just feel cheap and uncomfortable. Also I got two black pads instead of a black and a silver?

Is there a place where I can order the hfi-2400 pads? I prefered those greatly over these pads.

I believe people have tried pads from other ultrasones on these before and if I remember correctly they reported they didn't fit the cups properly.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #787 of 5,992
Nice to hear that you received your pro 900s and are already enjoying them.
beyersmile.png

Make sure you break them in properly. The sound alters greatly for the first 300-350 hours of break-in. From then on, I haven't noticed any significant changes. As for the pads, I suggest that you don't use ultrasone pads from a different model. Ultrasone explained to me that each model has its uniquely trailored pads, using the wrong model's pads will alter the sound, presummably, for the worse. A fellow pro 900 owner has modded his pro 900s with J$ pads for around 70 dollars. He seems quite satisfied with the results, but, so far, he is the only one to have tried the mod and thus no one has concurred...

On a side note, I have both the silver and black pads and I, personnally, prefer the look and feel of the silver pads. They are slightly softer, less rough and look slicker, but to be honest, the pro 900s  didn't win me over due to their looks...
wink_face.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #788 of 5,992
I think I'm guna go for the J$ pads... I had $500 saved for these and only spent $400 so why not. The current pads feel unbearably thin like cheap plastic. I saw the pics of the guy who did it and it looks like they fit quite nice, and I would assume that they would affect the soundstage abit aswell. 

I'll be sure to keep everybody posted on what I think about the mod once I have them!

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #789 of 5,992
Looking forward to a second opinion on the J$ mod.  Goodluck!

Quote:
I think I'm guna go for the J$ pads... I had $500 saved for these and only spent $400 so why not. The current pads feel unbearably thin like cheap plastic. I saw the pics of the guy who did it and it looks like they fit quite nice, and I would assume that they would affect the soundstage abit aswell. 

I'll be sure to keep everybody posted on what I think about the mod once I have them!

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #790 of 5,992
Great! make sure, you put at least one round felt pad outside side of the headphone, it tightens bass and over all fines up the range throughout.  

Quote:

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #791 of 5,992
Mar 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #792 of 5,992
I placed the order so they should be here within a week or so. Now I just have to find a camera for when they get here...
ahhhhhh the hardships of a poor student audiophile 
biggrin.gif

also any recommendations for the felt pad? Am I better off just cutting out a circle from a foam or felt sheet and fitting it or can I find something better online?

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #793 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, they ended up having to refund my money due to them being backordered. I'm thinking that the sudden upsurge in popularity has left Ultrasone with a bit of a supply problem that won't be fixed for a little while. Completely ridiculous, yes, but I don't think they expected a Head-Fi thread to go head over heels with their top PRO-brand AFTER Christmas.

Sorry to hear... at least they didnt scam you. Hopefully BH will have them in stock again soon.

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #794 of 5,992
Ok well J is taking forever to respond to my inquiry so I'm just going to pay the extra $10 and order from headroom.

But my main question/concern after reading this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491309/leather-ear-pad-for-ultrasone-pro-900s is whether or not the J$ Beyer pads have the same dimensions as the denon pads. I prefer the beyer pads because they arn't quite as big, but I want to make sure they will fit smugly on the pro 900.

I plan on doing what Nachkebia did and sacrifice the extra pro 900 pads for their switch base which I will glue the new leather pads onto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back