Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #796 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, they ended up having to refund my money due to them being backordered. I'm thinking that the sudden upsurge in popularity has left Ultrasone with a bit of a supply problem that won't be fixed for a little while. Completely ridiculous, yes, but I don't think they expected a Head-Fi thread to go head over heels with their top PRO-brand AFTER Christmas.

I've been waiting for 2 months myself. I'm trying to be patient. I guess it helps because I'm listening to my Pro 650's right now.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #799 of 5,992
I have the fiio combo and the e9 powers them effortlessly. The e7 with my ipod touch can power them, just not as strong. I stick with the m50's and e7 for portable use because they pair so nicely. There are probably a lot of amps that will work the Pro's nicely, since they aren't really hard to drive.

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #801 of 5,992
The m50 is a great 100 dollar headphone, but it is on a completely inferior level to the Pro 900.  As for amps that pair well with the Pro 900, any amp that isn't bright will do fine.  I wouldn't want the highs of the Pro 900 exaggerated any more, so an amp like the Matrix M Stage or one of Audio GD's offerings that are slightly warm work great.

Quote:
How's the m50 ? how does it compare to the pro 900?

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #802 of 5,992
The Pro 900 is better than the M50, but for the e7 I prefer the M50 simply because it is a shade easier to drive and it just pairs with the e7 remarkably for a cheap set up. The M50 has just as much bass IMO, just not the same quality as the Pro, the highs to me, are the biggest improvement on the Pro compared to the M50. But also consider your comparing a $120 headphone to a $400 headphone. I think the Pro is a remarkable headphone, but at the same time I also think some people blow it out of proportion. I think this headphone sometimes gets more credit than it should. With that said, I would 100% recommend it to any bass lover, and particularly anyone that listens to a lot of trance, dubstep, etc. The Pro 900 is not an "all around" headphone, if you have specific needs, this headphone will do a great job. To my ears the M50 and the DT 990 has just as much bass impact as the Pro, just all have different quality, tone, and speed.

Also if anyone is looking to purchase this headphone and have never saw it in person, do not be fooled, the Pro 900 is a lot bigger than some pics online. Pictures over the internet look deceiving, this headphone to me was a lot bigger when it arrived at my house. It's not monstrous, but just surprised me initially.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #803 of 5,992
I ordered the Pro 900 mainly for elecronics, dubstep, hiphop but, I do alittle bit of mixing and monitoring. I bought it along with a Focusrite pro 24 DSP which is a great combo for that but, I'm interested in jazz, it's a new genre that I was exposed to and I like it very much, it's different but it's amazing by itself. Do you think they fit for jazz aswell? Or I should be looking to buy another set of headphones for that part?
Thank you

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #804 of 5,992
I think you should try them with jazz first. They have very good detailing and bass, which is very important for jazz. However, they are quite cold and analytical. I like them for jazz, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #805 of 5,992
Any electric these cans will rock. I think you should try it first. I'd say the AKG  K701, 702 work very well with jazz, but that's just an educated guess. The problem I'd see with jazz and the Pro 900 are mids are very important with that genre. The mids are recessed on the Pro 900, you would probably want to go with a more balanced headphone, and more natural sound. This is an just opinion tho. Just out of curiosity, what kind of jazz do you like? (artists)

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #806 of 5,992
Yes, the K702s are good for jazz. I can vouch for that. On the Pro 900s, the bass might be a bit overwhelming for jazz, which can overshadow the other instruments. You should try it yourself, though. If you're satisfied with how jazz sounds on the 900s, there's absolutely no reason to get the K702s, especially considering the latter's amplification requirements.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #807 of 5,992
so am I the only one who finds watching the driver excursion on the pro 900 from bass heavy tracks addicting??? 
dt880smile.png

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #808 of 5,992
Still debating between the 2900 and the 900. I'm mainly wondering which one would possibly bring out the mids a little more. Does an open or closed design tend to favor this?  Also, is either design supposed to be better for long-term hearing than the other?  Anyone try these from a Schiit Lyr yet? Impressions? Sorry for the semi-OT. :)

-Daniel

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #809 of 5,992
I don`t agree with Pro 900 not been "all around" headphone.

Quote:
The Pro 900 is better than the M50, but for the e7 I prefer the M50 simply because it is a shade easier to drive and it just pairs with the e7 remarkably for a cheap set up. The M50 has just as much bass IMO, just not the same quality as the Pro, the highs to me, are the biggest improvement on the Pro compared to the M50. But also consider your comparing a $120 headphone to a $400 headphone. I think the Pro is a remarkable headphone, but at the same time I also think some people blow it out of proportion. I think this headphone sometimes gets more credit than it should. With that said, I would 100% recommend it to any bass lover, and particularly anyone that listens to a lot of trance, dubstep, etc. The Pro 900 is not an "all around" headphone, if you have specific needs, this headphone will do a great job. To my ears the M50 and the DT 990 has just as much bass impact as the Pro, just all have different quality, tone, and speed.

Also if anyone is looking to purchase this headphone and have never saw it in person, do not be fooled, the Pro 900 is a lot bigger than some pics online. Pictures over the internet look deceiving, this headphone to me was a lot bigger when it arrived at my house. It's not monstrous, but just surprised me initially.

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #810 of 5,992
That's fine. Everyone has there opinion. I just mentioned it to help people who are planning to get the Pro 900, just don't want them to be dissappointed. But I'm not the only one that said the Pro's aren't an "all around" headphone. There is no way the Pro can play say acoustic,classic rock, jazz, even modern R&B better than a more balanced headphone. They are not a natural sounding headphone in any way, the mids are without a question recessed, and the soundstage is not wide.

I'm not bashing these headphones at all, I wouldn't own them if I didn't love them. But I love them for what they are great for, and to me they are not my go-to headphone if i'm listening to a variety of different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back