Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #826 of 5,992
I'll probably pick up a set of Pro 900s some time during summer/fall since I'm in love with the Ultrasone sound. My first was the hfi-15g(late model) then I moved a to the hfi-2200 (late model). I did't have the short cable so I had to butcher some old $25 sony's headphone cable because the threads on that fit right into the 2200s. Later I had bought the nuforce transient cable for my tma-1's but later sold them, which I sorta regret because I love their bass.

Quick question, has any of you tried the nuforce transient cable with the Pro 900? I'm afraid my setup (asus u1 -> bsg cmoy) and my ears aren't quite up to the task of picking out minute details yet. The nuforce cable just slides in snuggly into my 2200s and doesn't even come in contact with the threads.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #827 of 5,992
How is the build quality and overall durability of them? It kinda concerns me that they have so much plastic, even if it's supposed to be high quality plastic.
Since I come from a rather solid set of headphones, my beloved XD-53
beyersmile.png
, along with being reinforced with a metal strip through the headband, it does worry me about doing the transition to the Pro 900s.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #828 of 5,992

Quote:
How is the build quality and overall durability of them? It kinda concerns me that they have so much plastic, even if it's supposed to be high quality plastic.
beyersmile.png
, along with being reinforced with a metal strip through the headband, it does worry me about doing the transition to the Pro 900s.

ultrasones are built for war, easily the most durable build that I've ever come across.

On another note my denon J$ pads came in today, I'm just waiting to get my hands on a hot glue gun now so I can attach them to the swivels 
blink.gif

I'll be sure to post my impressions and a review within the next week!

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #829 of 5,992
I'm going to get the Pro 900 at the end of the month, but that does make me feel more relaxed.

Another thing, how tall are the pads? Are they closer to the Sony XB series pillows or more like supra aural flats?

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #830 of 5,992
Awesome, can't wait for a second opinion on these pads for the 900!

-Daniel

Quote:
ultrasones are built for war, easily the most durable build that I've ever come across.

On another note my denon J$ pads came in today, I'm just waiting to get my hands on a hot glue gun now so I can attach them to the swivels 
blink.gif

I'll be sure to post my impressions and a review within the next week!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #831 of 5,992
I didn't use a ruler, but I'd guess the earcup's diameter is about 8.5cm +/- 0.5cm.
Quote:
I'm going to get the Pro 900 at the end of the month, but that does make me feel more relaxed.

Another thing, how tall are the pads? Are they closer to the Sony XB series pillows or more like supra aural flats?

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #832 of 5,992

Quote:
beyersmile.png

Build quality is sold, however the tendency for the pads to fall off  1/10 times when picking them up is a little annoying.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #834 of 5,992
Well, I have and they do.  I screw them on clockwise but it doesn't feel all that tight when I do them up.  Maybe if I did nip them up a bit more they would be fine but I don't want to over do it.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #835 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, I have and they do.  I screw them on clockwise but it doesn't feel all that tight when I do them up.  Maybe if I did nip them up a bit more they would be fine but I don't want to over do it.

You have to align them carefully first (the lips on the pads with the indentations in the cups). Then press the pads firmly on the cups (full hand) to make shure all lips "catch", and then firmly twist clockwise (about one inch).
No way they'll come off if they're fitted like that. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #836 of 5,992

Quote:
I didn't use a ruler, but I'd guess the earcup's diameter is about 8.5cm +/- 0.5cm.

I see, but what about their height? Are they tall enough to envelop the ears and being comfortable at the same time or will the ear be pressed against the driver?

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #837 of 5,992
My right ear slightly touches the fabric covering the driver, but its not annoying.  The earpads are decently thick, but nowhere near Sony XB status.  As for the earpads falling off when you pick the headphones up, I too have never encountered this problem.  I think the earpads fit quite securely within their locking mechanism, and I'd have to twist a decent amount in order to loosen them up.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #838 of 5,992

Quote:
beyersmile.png

I haven't received my Pro 900's yet because of them being on backorder but I do have the Pro 650's and I can tell you that they are built like a tank. I've used them with a portable cd player for 2 yrs and now the HiFi-Man 601. I only use them when I'm out and they even have the same pressure on your head that they had when first purchased.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #839 of 5,992
Well I'm listening to the pro 900's with the denon J$ pads right now... and my initial impressions are WOW these changed the sound alot more than I was expecting!

I will be writing a full review later this week once I've had some more time with them, I'll be sure to post some pictures aswell 
dt880smile.png

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #840 of 5,992

Um, changed for the better? If so how? At least give us some clues before the review!
L3000.gif

-Daniel

Quote:
Well I'm listening to the pro 900's with the denon J$ pads right now... and my initial impressions are WOW these changed the sound alot more than I was expecting!

I will be writing a full review later this week once I've had some more time with them, I'll be sure to post some pictures aswell 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back