Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #811 of 5,992
But he's not the only one to suggest they ARE a great all-rounder.
wink_face.gif
 Here's to hoping they are when I finally get some!

-Daniel

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #812 of 5,992
I don't think the mids are recessed once burn-in exceeds 400 hours. The deep and powerful bass and the crystallic treble might take the stage for their pompous presence, but I don't think their more modest mids hinder them from being great allrounders. It's more a question of whether their scrupulous detailing and their upfront presentation is suited for all genres. Some might think it's tiresome and artificial and some might like it.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #813 of 5,992
Leander7777-

I agree on the mids, with burn in, and especially with a re-cable and good amp. The combination of those things really livens up things and rounds out the overall sound. In the form I'm hearing things right now, I'd say they're perfectly fine for jazz and acoustic. They seem like decent all-rounders to me too. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #815 of 5,992

Exactly! Jazz is in fact fantastic.
Quote:
Leander7777-

I agree on the mids, with burn in, and especially with a re-cable and good amp. The combination of those things really livens up things and rounds out the overall sound. In the form I'm hearing things right now, I'd say they're perfectly fine for jazz and acoustic. They seem like decent all-rounders to me too. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #816 of 5,992
I agree that the Pro 900s do make pretty solid all-arounders, but I also concede that, if electronic dance music wasn't my preferred and most listened to genre, I would have picked up a different pair of headphones.  Everything these headphones excel at (bass, atmosphere, imaging, extended highs) make EDM such a pleasure to listen to.  I also happen to listen to metal, hip hop, classic rock, and some acoustic, and I find the Ultrasone's great at those genres as well.  Are they the best at them? Absolutely not.  Are the mids a bit recessed?  Yes.  But if you're someone who wants these for a genre like Drum N Bass or Dubstep and are worried they'll make your rock or jazz collection sound awful, stop worrying.  They sound great with all genres, its just they are amazing at electronica.

My two cents.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #817 of 5,992
Awesome, Ordered it from Lookat.com along with the Focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP
for 720$ shipping included to Israel.
I'm planning on buying a portable amp aswell along the way, not sure which one though.
as for recabling the headphones, I was browing moon-audio and they offer pretty good recabling options right? what's the difference in sound?has anyone tried ?
let's just hope that the package I just purchased arrives safe and sound. I'll update you guyss soon and post impressions!

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #818 of 5,992
This needed quoting for truth! My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
I agree that the Pro 900s do make pretty solid all-arounders, but I also concede that, if electronic dance music wasn't my preferred and most listened to genre, I would have picked up a different pair of headphones.  Everything these headphones excel at (bass, atmosphere, imaging, extended highs) make EDM such a pleasure to listen to.  I also happen to listen to metal, hip hop, classic rock, and some acoustic, and I find the Ultrasone's great at those genres as well.  Are they the best at them? Absolutely not.  Are the mids a bit recessed?  Yes.  But if you're someone who wants these for a genre like Drum N Bass or Dubstep and are worried they'll make your rock or jazz collection sound awful, stop worrying.  They sound great with all genres, its just they are amazing at electronica.

My two cents.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #819 of 5,992

Quote:

My two cents.

x2

they are very fun sounding yet shockingly crisp. They do excel in bass heavy music, but these are not a one trick pony. If your worried about the bass being overwhelming for rock, maybe for certain artists it will be but 90% of the time the bass will remain unobtrusive. That's part of what makes this headphone so special, the bass stays where it should.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #820 of 5,992
blue dragons sound fantastic!

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #821 of 5,992
Apr 6, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #822 of 5,992
That album really makes the Pro 900s shine. Thanks for the recommendation!
atsmile.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #823 of 5,992
     Quote:

My two cents.

I agree with this, there are alot of dubstep tracks that I prefer to listen to with the Pro 900 as opposed to my D7000, which gets the most headtime now. Caspa - Fabriclive 37 sounds preferable and marvelous on the Pro 900

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #824 of 5,992
Haha it is funny that you mention a song from a Fabriclive album, as my roommate just discovered that label last night and has been furiously downloading every album he can find!

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #825 of 5,992
Fabriclive mixes are great! don`t forget the fabric mixses as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back