Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #751 of 5,992
oh man, they truley sound like the headphones I need, they truley sound amazing.
my only problem is the amp/dac, thought about RSA predator.. are there any better options you know of? the predator costs 470$ ;o

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #752 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks, when you buy amp and a dac seperately, what's the difference i nterms of sounds compared to an amp/dac that is sold all together?

You could probably get a slightly better preforming combo for around the same price but I'm not sure of that, and that should be the only difference.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #754 of 5,992

Quote:
oh man, they truley sound like the headphones I need, they truley sound amazing.
my only problem is the amp/dac, thought about RSA predator.. are there any better options you know of? the predator costs 470$ ;o

While I've never used the Predator, it looks like a very solid choice. I like my D12 a lot (both as a dedicated DAC and as a DAC/Amp combo), but have pretty limited experience in this area, so take it for what it's worth.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #755 of 5,992
what I know is the predator has 3 gain levels and the d12 has 2.. the predator seems like a well-built piece, It looks good and from reviews it sounds good too.
I know that each amp/dac matches different headphones and depends on the listener's taste..
so I have no idea how these models match the pro 900 for my kind of taste.. or general taste.

How did the d12 effect your listening experience with the pro 900 cans?

Quote:
While I've never used the Predator, it looks like a very solid choice. I like my D12 a lot (both as a dedicated DAC and as a DAC/Amp combo), but have pretty limited experience in this area, so take it for what it's worth.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #756 of 5,992
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #758 of 5,992
Agreed.  I wouldn't worry too much about buying anything when you can use paypal.  Obviously be careful who you buy from, but don't lose sleep over it as long as they look reasonably legit and accept paypal.

Quote:
They're verified through PayPal, so they should be OK. If not, then Paypal's really good about refunding money.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #759 of 5,992
Out of curosity, has anyone done THIS to their Pro900s?  I did a partial Kees mod to mine (just the felt pad and cotton behind the driver) and I can tell the bass is much more subdued.  Would Dynamat have a similar effect?  Also, is Dynamat reversible?  I am concerned that once I put that in there it will be near impossible to get all of it out.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #760 of 5,992
Hi,

I'm new to the forums (first post :)). Nice to meet you all.

So I've just upgraded from a DT770/80 to the Pro 900 and I have a few questions... 

I've let the Pro 900's burn in for about 72 hours now, and whilst they are better then out of the box, I'm finding the sound very 'thin'. For example on vocals, and the highs to be way overly bright on cymbals and details. There seems to be a gaping hole between the bass (which is lovely btw) and the treble (harsh).

I'm not saying there is no mids, this is what confuses me. Occasionally a song will sound amazing, and i love their sound, then on another listen to some differently produced music they will sound terrible. They seem extremely unforgiving sometimes.

I'm wondering whether these will produce more of the sound i'm looking for when burnt in, or whether they are just not for me (or my system...?). From what you guys say about them, their exactly what I want to hear, but i'm just not hearing it (yet?). Could the mids really transform and come out, and the highs chill out a tad, that much after more burn in?

Many thanks for your opinions..

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #761 of 5,992
The mids are recessed a little, that's just how these headphones work. They are also known to be bright. If you find them bright you can perform the Kees mod, which tames the highs and bass slightly, bringing a more balanced tone. If you don't want to do this, they might just not be for you.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #762 of 5,992
Give it a time though, burn in changes sound significantly.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #763 of 5,992
Quote:
I've let the Pro 900's burn in for about 72 hours now, and whilst they are better then out of the box, I'm finding the sound very 'thin'. For example on vocals, and the highs to be way overly bright on cymbals and details. There seems to be a gaping hole between the bass (which is lovely btw) and the treble (harsh).

I'm not saying there is no mids, this is what confuses me. Occasionally a song will sound amazing, and i love their sound, then on another listen to some differently produced music they will sound terrible. They seem extremely unforgiving sometimes.

I'm wondering whether these will produce more of the sound i'm looking for when burnt in, or whether they are just not for me (or my system...?). From what you guys say about them, their exactly what I want to hear, but i'm just not hearing it (yet?). Could the mids really transform and come out, and the highs chill out a tad, that much after more burn in?

Many thanks for your opinions..

I don't own them, yet, but give them a little more time. LISTEN to them more. As you get used to their sound, you'll find that your ears "burn-in" to the sound. Other than this, your headphones aren't changing, but your listening most certainly does. Also keep in mind that you hear differently on different days and different times. At times, my HD650s don't suit me. Is it because they're not "burned in." Certainly not! I'm just not in the mood for their mellow sound. That's when I'll be reaching for the 900s!

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #765 of 5,992

Quote:
Give it a time though, burn in changes sound significantly.

X2!!!

Digiman, what you described was what exactly happened to me. For some songs, which seems quite unpredictable to me, the sound was unbearable. Too much base and too harsh high like stabbing my ears. 
After a month or so, I don't even think pro 900s have too much base. The tremble has been tamed as well. So, just give them time
smily_headphones1.gif

FYI, just make sure the headphone is properly positioned to enjoy the full sound stage and detail : arranging the headphone housing so that your ears are located right in front of the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back