Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #5,806 of 5,992
I owned it twice...u need to amp it for the bass to shine.
Hard to tame.

Hv u read up on Philips A5Pro? Looks exciting...New product:)

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5,807 of 5,992
You could always keep checking eBay, just make sure their rating is above 90-95 and you should be fine, I've occasionally seen the PRO900 on eBay for a pretty decent price. It's probably worth a determined look for a few days.

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #5,811 of 5,992
  People have to accept on this thread that the Pro900 is more a polarizing headphone than most. It's not for everyone. I completely understand what some people are describing as harsh highs. The Pro900s are the headphones I listen to most at the moment because they are unmatched in their presentation of bass heavy music. I haven't found any headphone that can beat them - any. However, there are many times that I switch between them and my other headphones and realize just how distant the mids can be in comparison to more neutral headphones. It is what it is, and I love the Pro900s for what they are; and they are a very polarizing headphone. I haven't heard anyone say yet "The Pro900s are OK, just about what I expected." It's always more along the lines of the following two: "These things absolutely ROCK" or "Earbleeding trash/overpriced junk." That's ok for me because I belong to the former group rather than the latter. 

EDIT: Upon further thought of my post, maybe the TH900/TH600 can actually match the Pro900's presentation of bass heavy music - that I would probably agree with. 

I will be receiving my 900s tomorrow and I will chime in on here with my pre burn-in comparo between the th600 and the Usones 900. Right now I feel the TH-600 are a tad too bass light but over all a great sounding headphone. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #5,812 of 5,992
Got my Pro 900 for a while now, the bass is simply amazing. However, you can definitely heard the different when it plugs into difference sources. I owned iPod classic, Sony ZX1, and AK100. When it plugs into ZX1 (Normal EQ, no clear bass enable), I can clearly heard the difference between the quality of the bass when compares to iPod Classic and AK100. I mostly listening to heavy-bass electric musics, when it plugs into iPod classic, the bass is strong; however, the bass is kind of mixing with the mid. When it plus to ZX1, I like easily tell that the bass is getting deeper and more separate from the mid tone. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #5,813 of 5,992
Hey guys I am doing a project to make my Pro 900s wireless, but I need to make two very short 3.5mm male  to 3.5mm male cables. Does anyone know where I can get 3.5mm diy plugs that are thin and very small so they can fit inside the funky threaded barrel entry area of the pro 900 headphones? It's very annoying because most cables don't fit inside the weirdly tight threaded cavity of the pro 900 so I really need to make sure the plug is thin and very small like the vmoda plugs. Anyone know? Highly appreciate it. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #5,814 of 5,992
Sennheiser actually has them. A guy made me a 22" 3.5 to 3.5 connector with the same requirement (very slim plug) and they are about the same size as the V-Moda cable. Can't remember his user name but the name Sennheiser is printed on it for sure.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #5,815 of 5,992
Sennheiser actually has them. A guy made me a 22" 3.5 to 3.5 connector with the same requirement (very slim plug) and they are about the same size as the V-Moda cable. Can't remember his user name but the name Sennheiser is printed on it for sure.

Excellent. I'll look around the sennheiser website. Do you have a picture of the cable or just the plug? Or maybe a link to the page for the plug? It would really help me find which plug you are talking about so I don't accidentally purchase something that looks compatible, but can't be sure. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,816 of 5,992
  Excellent. I'll look around the sennheiser website. Do you have a picture of the cable or just the plug? Or maybe a link to the page for the plug? It would really help me find which plug you are talking about so I don't accidentally purchase something that looks compatible, but can't be sure. 

I'll take a picture and post it later. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #5,817 of 5,992

Cable is from a different source.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #5,819 of 5,992
I just received a pair of used Pro 900's, after being curious for the past ~3 years, from a fellow head-fier.

Back-story:

I remember reading every bit of info that I could about these... But I ended up buying the Pro 750's instead, because I jumped on a great deal for about $200 brand new. At the time, all the comparisons between the Pro 900 and Pro 750 indicated that they were very, very similar headphones.

I wanted a pair of headphones that were specifically suited for bass-heavy electronic music, and after receiving the Pro 750's I was a little bit disappointed. The bass presence and impact was better than my other headphones at the time (DT880's, AD700's and Alessandro MS1's), but not THAT much better. They definitely didn't match up to the descriptions of people with Pro 900's. They were decent headphones, and I used them for a while, but they always left me wanting.

Since then, I've acquired HE-400's, Q701's, a Matrix M-stage amp and a Matrix M-stage DAC (I had previously used a Xonar Essence STX soundcard). Both of these headphones became my main pairs, as they're both very complementary and have their own strengths. The HE-400's did very well for EDM - a significant upgrade over the Pro 750's (but still not the perfect sound I was looking for). They also have a more natural tonality that makes them excel with pretty much ALL genres of music. Surprisingly, the Q701's were also quite good all-rounders and offered their own unique portrayal of music (including EDM) - they actually hit low enough to make the bass enjoyable, they just somewhat lack presence/impact.

Pro 900 VERY First Impressions:

PC ----> USB ----> Matrix M-Stage DAC ----> Matrix M-Stage amp -----> Pro 900's
Foobar2000 playing 320kbps MP3 or FLAC (flat EQ)

These are very early first impressions of the Pro 900 - I've only listened to a few tracks - but it seems like these are what I've been looking for (when it comes to EDM). These Pro 900's have many hours on them, so burn-in shouldn't be a potential factor anymore.

The bass presence, impact and texture is phenomenal. I'm hearing elements in bass lines that I could never hear before. Normal, neutral audiophile headphones generally do NOT reproduce bass music adequately, and the Pro 900's are a testament to this. The treble is bright, clear and detailed - definitely emphasised, but not as much as the Pro 750's. These are very detailed headphones, but they aren't too sharp or aggressive for me - I think the Pro 750's are a bit too much. Mids are a little recessed, vocals aren't beautiful, but they aren't bad at all imo. The soundstage and imaging are excellent for closed headphones; the stereo separation on Ultrasone headphones have always been a strong point imo. The characteristics of these headphones make them EXCELLENT for bass-heavy electronic music, which is exactly what I want them for, and so far the only genre I've tested them on!

Some of the artists I've been listening to so far:
deadmau5
Spor
Feed Me (same guy as Spor)
Noisia
Flume
KOAN Sound
Gesaffelstein
Infected Mushroom
ZHU
RL Grime (I've never really liked trap, especially because no headphones I owned ever did it justice, but it's actually enjoyable with these)

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #5,820 of 5,992
Im in the process of gathering materials for making new pads for 900 and other models of ultrasone(ears too big). Plan is to increase thickness to about 23-25mm when compressed. That is the thickness of ED10 and ED12 as shown in those pictures. Ill try to get leather for the pads, so will try to make a comparison too - no less, then 30 days away. Anyway for average person 200 worth of pads are close to half the price of 900's so would be overkill, even ED12's. I understand no one tried to use memory foam for ultrasone yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back