Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #5,822 of 5,992
Do you know, how thick are they, or what type of foam is used(open cell, closed cell, mix of both)?  And I think of doing the same for ED12 and SigPro (1-2mm increase for ED12 and 4-5mm for SigPro). Since I do not think it will cost for me more than 80US per piece, plus no sending fees since it is local craftman. I see some quality issues with that company too, for now at least.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #5,823 of 5,992

this pad is about to give up its soul....measure off whatever u can gauge from the ruler,
it is not rocketscience, the other pad doesnt look as pleasing :p
Open or closed cell? ..hmmm cant tell, but it is quite firm...dun think it could breathe..all sealed up.

( bought this canwithpads fromheadfier brrgrr...if u need more info, u might wanna check with him....the backplastic ring is glued onto the leather. During its glorydays..

All the best !!

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5,825 of 5,992
  People have to accept on this thread that the Pro900 is more a polarizing headphone than most. It's not for everyone. I completely understand what some people are describing as harsh highs. The Pro900s are the headphones I listen to most at the moment because they are unmatched in their presentation of bass heavy music. I haven't found any headphone that can beat them - any. However, there are many times that I switch between them and my other headphones and realize just how distant the mids can be in comparison to more neutral headphones. It is what it is, and I love the Pro900s for what they are; and they are a very polarizing headphone. I haven't heard anyone say yet "The Pro900s are OK, just about what I expected." It's always more along the lines of the following two: "These things absolutely ROCK" or "Earbleeding trash/overpriced junk." That's ok for me because I belong to the former group rather than the latter. 

EDIT: Upon further thought of my post, maybe the TH900/TH600 can actually match the Pro900's presentation of bass heavy music - that I would probably agree with. 

Count me in the latter group.  You are absolutely right about them being polarizing.  The main issue though is that these perform the best with bass heavy music and many people were proclaiming how wonderful they were with movies, games and metal (LOL yeah right).  Then when someone would bring up the terribly recessed mids and ear piercing sibilance you would get replies of "Oh, you just need to burn them in for ten years" or "just adjust the ear cups and make sure you aren't a micrometer off in how they are positioned because they will radically alter the sound!".  Exaggerations of course, but there were a lot of claims along those lines.  These were the first item I've ever had buyer's remorse on.  The bass on them is quite amazing, but that's all these do well IMO. 

Not sure if you've ever heard them, but the Alpha Dogs have a really close, but not quite bass response as these, but are much more detailed among the rest of the frequencies without making it feel like the highs are driving nails into your ear drums.  They are also quicker and just as punchy.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #5,826 of 5,992
Still have these, although I was thinking about selling them recently because I don't really use them that much (at all).

What drew me into these most of all was the whole s-logic thing, which turned out to be not so revolutionary (big sucker for marketing!), although they sound pretty damn spacious for closed headphones. Problem is because of the very same s-logic I am very conscience about the positioning of them on my head and find myself fiddling with them a lot and the circular cups are quite shallow, and not too comfortable.

When I got into these I was coming from the ATH-M50 and thought that the V shaped sig. was all that. These do have delicious bass, and to me the highs are detailed and mostly not too sibilant, but compared to more mid centric phones, the differences in sound presentation are quite staggering.

These don't sound bad to me by any means and can be quite enjoyable depending on what you are listening to.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #5,828 of 5,992
  Still have these, although I was thinking about selling them recently because I don't really use them that much (at all).

What drew me into these most of all was the whole s-logic thing, which turned out to be not so revolutionary (big sucker for marketing!), although they sound pretty damn spacious for closed headphones. Problem is because of the very same s-logic I am very conscience about the positioning of them on my head and find myself fiddling with them a lot and the circular cups are quite shallow, and not too comfortable.

When I got into these I was coming from the ATH-M50 and thought that the V shaped sig. was all that. These do have delicious bass, and to me the highs are detailed and mostly not too sibilant, but compared to more mid centric phones, the differences in sound presentation are quite staggering.

These don't sound bad to me by any means and can be quite enjoyable depending on what you are listening to.

I had those phones for a couple years and loved them but I put Mr Speakers Alpha pads on them.  Just removed the stock pads and stretch the Alpha's around the earcup. 

do they make iPhone remote talk cable

V-Moda does and works great with the Pro 900. 

May 20, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #5,829 of 5,992
I have to admit a guilty pleasure here:

Lately I've mainly been listening to electronic music, so I've gotten addicted to listening to my Pro 900 while wearing them backwards and pushing them as far back on my head as they can comfortably fit.

Since Ultrasone makes their headphones in a weird configuration that is both assymetrical and at an angle towards the cup, this radically changes the depth of the bass and the entire soundstage.

If you thought the Pro 900 were bass heavy before, this basically reaches into your head and massages your brain, similar to what a good in-ear headphone can do.

It's absolutely crazy, and contary to all audiophile principles, but I love it! :D

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #5,831 of 5,992
Hi guise

Had my pro 900's for a couple of years now and still love them, i have now gone through both sets of the ear pads, the fabric has started to come away :frowning2: dosen't effect the sound but they look bad and one is getting worse.

Can anybody recommend some pads that are easy to fit? and don't cost too much?

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,832 of 5,992
  Hi guise

Had my pro 900's for a couple of years now and still love them, i have now gone through both sets of the ear pads, the fabric has started to come away :frowning2: dosen't effect the sound but they look bad and one is getting worse.

Can anybody recommend some pads that are easy to fit? and don't cost too much?

I put MrSpeakers Alpha pads on my Pro900.  Remove the stock pad and fit the Alpha pads over the ear cup.  Cost is $59.  Loved the comfort and the bass was awesome. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #5,833 of 5,992
Are there any leather pads that directly fit on these phones without having to stick something to the plastics etc?

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #5,834 of 5,992
  Are there any leather pads that directly fit on these phones without having to stick something to the plastics etc?

I put Alpha pads on them, straight on the headphone driver mount area.  Hard to explain but I removed the stock pads and rings they come with and fitted the Alpha pads around. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #5,835 of 5,992
Hey, thought I'd post this here as well: If anyone is interested in the Pro 900's brother Pro 2900 headphone, I just saw that there's a Cyber Monday deal on Amazon.de starting in half an hour for Prime members an one hour for regulars. Might be worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back