Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #5,776 of 5,992

http://shopworld.ultrasone.com/us/category.php?id_category=20

Moon audio I believe still has removable blue and silver dragon.

Cheers!

I've been using ADL iHP-35 for 6 months now. Sounds surprisingly better than stock cable, even for me which I didn't believe that cables made a difference, until I heard it.

It's a very good cable. Just have to unscrew the aluminum termination sleeve slightly to get it on there and it stays in without any worries. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #5,777 of 5,992
I have Ultrasone Pro 750 which I bought after I had to sell my Beyer DT880 pro (250ohm). I feel the Ultrasone "needs" better amplification more than the Beyer. The Beyer would probably benefit from a good tube amp but otherwise is so smooth that changes in sound dont jump out at you as much. The Ultrasone seems to have a bit loose and wooly bass with a hard edge or glare in the upper frequencies on cheap portable devices but sounds warmer, smother and a more defined bottom end with better amplification. However I only find it better than the Beyer on specific bass heavy music. Massive Attack - Mezzanine is spectacular on the Ultrasone. In all other ways including comfort, I prefer the Beyer.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #5,778 of 5,992
I have Ultrasone Pro 750 which I bought after I had to sell my Beyer DT880 pro (250ohm). I feel the Ultrasone "needs" better amplification more than the Beyer. The Beyer would probably benefit from a good tube amp but otherwise is so smooth that changes in sound dont jump out at you as much. The Ultrasone seems to have a bit loose and wooly bass with a hard edge or glare in the upper frequencies on cheap portable devices but sounds warmer, smother and a more defined bottom end with better amplification. However I only find it better than the Beyer on specific bass heavy music. Massive Attack - Mezzanine is spectacular on the Ultrasone. In all other ways including comfort, I prefer the Beyer.

Yes, the Pro 900 deff improves with amplification, it's important.

Though I wouldn't say they sound "bad" without it, just more detailed, tighter, better overall with it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #5,779 of 5,992
Hello there

I have been searching for a good pair of headphones for awhile now. I wanted to upgrade form my XB700's so I ended up gong with the Pro 900's.  I wanted a good all a rounder that still maintains a good bass signature

I really enjoy the sound signature over my XB700's at the right volume,  the highs are nice and bright and the mids are really nice too. I couldn't really hear any mids in the xb700's because the bass drowned them out.

The bass is nice and tight and has a little sub bass but I must say to anyone who ever thought that these even came close to sounding as deep as the XB700 needs to get their ears checked lol.  With that being said though there is a 10mm difference in driver size so it makes sense.  

There are frequent occasions when I like to blast my music whilst at work when hooked up to my Mangi and a 9 band EQ, these seem to distort at very high levels where as the XB700's didn't really do that to often.   Anytime there would be a big bass drop with like DUBSTEP and RAP the highs in Pro 900's would sound like you're speaking through a fan that's turned on.  As far as New Age and Vocal type of music like Enigma and Loreena Mckennitt these Pro 900's blew my XB700's out of the water, they just have an overall better soundstage and I think its the mids that did it for me there. 

Overall I am satisfied and may try to get some leather pads on them, I hear that helps with the bass some (which makes sense cause they'll seal much better). I would try the kees mod but im not to sure that will do much in the bass realm, It looks like it does more for the highs as far as not making then pitchy (by muffling them) which some people have complained about.

That is my review, im sorry its not as detailed as others in the audiophile world but im still a newbie and ill catch on :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #5,781 of 5,992
Hello there

I have been searching for a good pair of headphones for awhile now. I wanted to upgrade form my XB700's so I ended up gong with the Pro 900's.  I wanted a good all a rounder that still maintains a good bass signature

I really enjoy the sound signature over my XB700's at the right volume,  the highs are nice and bright and the mids are really nice too. I couldn't really hear any mids in the xb700's because the bass drowned them out.

The bass is nice and tight and has a little sub bass but I must say to anyone who ever thought that these even came close to sounding as deep as the XB700 needs to get their ears checked lol.  With that being said though there is a 10mm difference in driver size so it makes sense.  

There are frequent occasions when I like to blast my music whilst at work when hooked up to my Mangi and a 9 band EQ, these seem to distort at very high levels where as the XB700's didn't really do that to often.   Anytime there would be a big bass drop with like DUBSTEP and RAP the highs in Pro 900's would sound like you're speaking through a fan that's turned on.  As far as New Age and Vocal type of music like Enigma and Loreena Mckennitt these Pro 900's blew my XB700's out of the water, they just have an overall better soundstage and I think its the mids that did it for me there. 

Overall I am satisfied and may try to get some leather pads on them, I hear that helps with the bass some (which makes sense cause they'll seal much better). I would try the kees mod but im not to sure that will do much in the bass realm, It looks like it does more for the highs as far as not making then pitchy (by muffling them) which some people have complained about.

That is my review, im sorry its not as detailed as others in the audiophile world but im still a newbie and ill catch on :)

I grafted/glued a pair of Mr Speakers Alpha pads on the speed switch rings on my Pro900. The bass and isolation was improved.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #5,782 of 5,992
Yes I will try the Alpha Pads out and see how it goes. If that doesn't work then i've been considering the Fostex TH600. Maybe ill get the best of both worlds since that's a 50mm driver. 

Its not that I don't like these at all. I think they sound wonderful I just was wanting a little more bass but like I said I didn't expect a lot of sub bass due to the size of the speaker.  They do have really good mid bass though.  I think they far out weigh my XB700's in every other aspect though, with that being said I think they should given the vast price difference.  

As far as the XB700's go I don't want to verbally downgrade them because I really enjoy what they have to offer when listeing to the right music. The bass is really good and deep but unfortunately its a little muddy and drowns the mids out. I do however enjoy the highs. I think they are nice and crisp for what it is 

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5,783 of 5,992
  Yes I will try the Alpha Pads out and see how it goes. If that doesn't work then i've been considering the Fostex TH600. Maybe ill get the best of both worlds since that's a 50mm driver. 

Its not that I don't like these at all. I think they sound wonderful I just was wanting a little more bass but like I said I didn't expect a lot of sub bass due to the size of the speaker.  They do have really good mid bass though.  I think they far out weigh my XB700's in every other aspect though, with that being said I think they should given the vast price difference.  

As far as the XB700's go I don't want to verbally downgrade them because I really enjoy what they have to offer when listeing to the right music. The bass is really good and deep but unfortunately its a little muddy and drowns the mids out. I do however enjoy the highs. I think they are nice and crisp for what it is 

By the way, even though I installed the Alpha pads by attaching them to the speed switch ring, they do stretch enough to just mount around the cup if you don't want to sacrifice a pair of the stock velours. 

Thought I'd pass that on to anyone interested in at least trying the Alpha's.

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #5,784 of 5,992

If sub bass is what you want, a D2000/5000 might get you farther than the Fostex 600. I still need to try the 600 at some point, but compared to my (lawton modded) TH-900, the Denons have more sub bass.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #5,785 of 5,992
Thank you ill definitely look into those. I've not had the opportunity to hear the Denon's. and I do like my sub bass but I don't want it to drown into the mids and all of that stuff like my much cheaper but still good XB700's do.   Thanks again for the advice

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,786 of 5,992
  Thank you ill definitely look into those. I've not had the opportunity to hear the Denon's. and I do like my sub bass but I don't want it to drown into the mids and all of that stuff like my much cheaper but still good XB700's do.   Thanks again for the advice

If you like EDM music, Denon AHD-XXXX series are fantastic. The bass does not drown out the mids, but it is strong in both quality and quantity. Much improved over the XB700 in that regard. Has to be my favorite headphone of those I've tried, though I also like my PRO 900.

Denon sound is more warm and full than Ultrasone sound. The Ultrasone sound is kinda metallic/robotic which works really well for some EDM stuff.

D2000 is slightly less amazing than D5000, but they aren't too different. Mids sound better on the D5000. The sound is overall a little more rich and liquid smooth. Some D2000's go for like $300 on here, which at that price, I don't think you could get a better closed back. They also sound very good straight out of a laptop or ipod.

Keep us updated on your progress. I hope you find a headphone to love.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #5,788 of 5,992

If sub bass is what you want, a D2000/5000 might get you farther than the Fostex 600. I still need to try the 600 at some point, but compared to my (lawton modded) TH-900, the Denons have more sub bass.

Yup, subbass from the D2000 is stronger if I recall correctly, but a certain part of its treble was a bit too strong for me. I chucked D5000 cups onto my D2000 and it was better overall (well, warmer and less airy), but the subbass was less prominent.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5,789 of 5,992
  Yup, subbass from the D2000 is stronger if I recall correctly, but a certain part of its treble was a bit too strong for me. I chucked D5000 cups onto my D2000 and it was better overall (well, warmer and less airy), but the subbass was less prominent.

+1 the wooden cups seem to give it a warmer overall tone. I don't notice any less sub-bass jumping from D2000 to D5000, though. Mids are improved in D5000. It sounds fuller.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #5,790 of 5,992
If you're amped and have a 9 band EQ for making suttle adjustments do you think it's worth the 300$ to 400$ difference between the D2000 and D5000 provided sub bass is relatively the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back