Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #3,451 of 5,992

Quote:
Have you actually try putting the dj1 pro earpads on the Pro 900? Cause I have emailed recently ultrasone asking this specific thing and they have replied that velour pads are the only pads that go on the Pro900 and that the dj1 pro earpads do not fit.

well i can't get you a pic because i dont have the dj1 pro and pro 900 right now, but i'm pretty sure it fit, even the whole pro line pad, that share identical housing design, are interchangeable.. well unless ultrasone has changed the pad design of the dj1 pro..

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #3,452 of 5,992
You can tell they are based on the same driver, but they definitely do not sound very much the same. I have had many people listen to both my pro900 and pro2900, and I'm yet to have anyone claim they sound nearly identical. Perhaps it's down to their respective closed and open designs, but they differentiate themselves rather vastly. 

Quote:
Cheers, Daniel! I don't want to step on your foot or anything. I've read on a German board that the 2900 and 900 sound very very much the same, but on this forum people say it's the most natural sounding headphone yet - these two opinions just don't match!

But I have nothing to say myself as I haven't heard them yet. For now, your impressions are the most detailed yet and I will have to go with them.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #3,453 of 5,992

Quote:
You can tell they are based on the same driver, but they definitely do not sound very much the same. I have had many people listen to both my pro900 and pro2900, and I'm yet to have anyone claim they sound nearly identical. Perhaps it's down to their respective closed and open designs, but they differentiate themselves rather vastly. 

They do sound nearly identical..
One thing that you notice though is that the mids are far more forwarded on 2900.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #3,454 of 5,992

Quote:
Nothing particularly wrong with the 750s except maybe the color. Its just that I am trying to figure out if the 900s will fulfill my needs better than the 750s. I hear that the 900s have a better sound stage than the 750s and not has crazy on the highs. It sounds like I am  trying to justify getting the 900s over the 750s but I have the money and I want the best experience as possible. The reason I am not looking at the 2900s is because need closed headphones to be isolated and to keep from disturbing other people.

Get the PRO900 used.  I have owned both and the PRO900 is enough of a step up to justify the price increase...doubly so if you can get a decent deal on it.  I got mine from Amazon Deals Warehouse for $285 shipped, and it was still in all of the original packaging.  If it means you have to wait a bit to pick it up, do so.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3,455 of 5,992
I called Ultrasone, prior to my purchase of the pro2900, and they told me that the pro2900, pro900, and edition 8 share the same driver, however the drivers are tuned differently for every aforementioned model. Like I said earlier, they definitely share a similar presentation, however both differentiate themselves enough to justify the owning of both.

If I remember correctly, you claimed that the pro2900 has equal bass impact to the pro900. If you stand by that, I suggest that you audition them again side by side. Their bass has similar texture, extension, and emphasis, but impact is very different. The pro2900's bass is also positioned slightly different in the soundstage, yet this might be a consequence of the larger soundstage.
Quote:
One thing that you notice though is that the mids are far more forwarded on 2900.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,457 of 5,992
The Pro 900s definitely DO NOT sound very similar at all to the 2900s imo. And the bass impact isn't even close-in favor of the 900s of course. But everything else is much better on the 2900s imo, I've posted plenty of comparisons in this thread if anyone is interested. I'd have a hard time believing someone (no offense though!) who owned both who say that they sound very similar...they just don't. The mids are MUCH MUCH better-and it's not just that they are brought out more either. The 'fake' tonality of the 900s are gone, replaced with a much richer, realistic timbre. They are NEVER sibilant to my ears-even straight out of the box either-those piercing highs can never be extinguished on the Pro 900 from my experience....and on and on...

-Daniel

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #3,458 of 5,992

I agree with everything, but this quote. The pro2900 aren't as colored as the pro900, but the metallic sound is still present on poorly mastered recordings. It's not nearly as bad as with the pro900, but it is still slightly noticeable; especially, if I go from listening to the w1000x, which do timbre rather well. Perhaps, it is something that all titanium-plated drivers share...
On the flip side, if you feed them with well mastered music, you'll be treated to a sound that is incredibly detailed, smooth and rich. 
Quote:
The 'fake' tonality of the 900s are gone, replaced with a much richer, realistic timbre. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #3,459 of 5,992
Well I hope you are right on this. Cause I am trying to get the XB700 headphones just for the pads, but can't find anything for a reasonable price. But the DJ1 Pro ear pads seem quite all right for the price. If I am not able to obtain the XB700 in the next lets say week to two weeks I will pull the trigger on the DJ1 Pro ear pads. And then I will be able to give comparison of the stock pads and the later ( if they fit) and hopefully confirm that using the DJ1 Pro ear pads we can increase isolation, reduce sound leak and maybe get better comfort 
tongue.gif

Quote:
well i can't get you a pic because i dont have the dj1 pro and pro 900 right now, but i'm pretty sure it fit, even the whole pro line pad, that share identical housing design, are interchangeable.. well unless ultrasone has changed the pad design of the dj1 pro..

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #3,460 of 5,992
When I'm listening to older Darkthrone it can get a little metallic, but it doesn't sound bad really.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3,461 of 5,992
Oct 25, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3,462 of 5,992
Damnit now I gotta go cut and paste my old impressions lol. Leander, Mohawk, take note and try to contribute in the 2900 thread if you can! Leander-I only meant to imply the tonal/timbre comment in direct comparison to the 900s. There are definitely not the final word in those aspects lol-and Ultrasone probably never will try to be either lol. I'll get my impressions in the other thread later tonight! Besides, I don't want the ssssibilance in this thread to ring my ears any longer from the 900 feedback! lolz

-Daniel

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #3,463 of 5,992

Quote:
Well I hope you are right on this. Cause I am trying to get the XB700 headphones just for the pads, but can't find anything for a reasonable price. But the DJ1 Pro ear pads seem quite all right for the price. If I am not able to obtain the XB700 in the next lets say week to two weeks I will pull the trigger on the DJ1 Pro ear pads. And then I will be able to give comparison of the stock pads and the later ( if they fit) and hopefully confirm that using the DJ1 Pro ear pads we can increase isolation, reduce sound leak and maybe get better comfort 
tongue.gif

not only that,, it will transform your pro 900 to ed 8... 
biggrin.gif
 j/k

@MetroBBOY

nice!! this unknown under-appreciated pro 2900 need that.. 
tongue.gif

hopefully someone can write some comprehensive review of it,,  sorry if i cant write much about it,, because i think its unfair to me to write a comprehensive review since mine has already sound much different than stock and i currently don't have a "fair" headphone as a straight comparison.. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #3,465 of 5,992
Quote:

I have heard this several times, just as often as "they are completely different." So, luckily, I found somebody who will lend me his PRO 2900 so I can do a side by side comparison. I will send him my PRO 900 first, though, so it won't be before at least another week.

I will create a new thread with a detailed comparison, as I have not yet written a full review of the PRO 900 (on English) yet. So in two weeks from now, I hope to bury this topic once and for all. Stay tuned!

* My impressions will be different to the others, as I think the PRO 900 are not musical at all - although they have great qualities! I also don't believe in cable magic, that silver pads sound much much better ("deeper bass"? Seriously?!) and I also think that amp-synergy is highly overrated. Prepare for a harsh, objective and down-to-earth review without any emotions/hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back