Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #3,436 of 5,992
You are telling me! I told myself to hold back for a day or 2 on getting these to see if the PR0 750s were a better buy. I now regret it. That is unless the PRO 900 are not worth an extra 200 bucks.

Folks what do you think? Should I get the 900s over the 750s? I will be playing BF3 and music will be electronic such as...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5arFuwxJky8&feature=related and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZg8_uZ7Luk&feature=related

I also listen to pop and metal such as 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7ACSyxWS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7ACSyxWS0

I want the most bass that can be controlled (tight yet full and fun) as possible if that makes any sense. I am a newb in the pro audio world so go easy on me. lol!

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #3,438 of 5,992
You can't really put "most bass" and "controlled" in the same sentence. But the 900 offers an excellent bass "package".

Having said that, the Pro 900 will serve you electronic heaven but what's wrong with the 750??. My last can was the Pro 900, but sold it due to its midrange recession and narrow soundstage.

I've got my eye on the Pro 2900 if you haven't got this on your short list. Could be the ultimate headphone. If you're interested in slightly less bass, but more prominent midrange and expansive soundstage with better separation with details, consider it. That is the general consensus of the Pro 2900 compared to the Pro 900.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #3,440 of 5,992
Guys relax, just go on the "For Sale" thread and pick up a used pair for around $300. There's pleanty to go around, plus they probably are already burned in. And if you want a tight controlled bass, be prepaired to buy an amp. Gotta be a nice powerful one with lots of voltage to get these puppies to BARK! And by bark I mean give that nice, full, ear rattling bass these are known for. Might I suggest waiting for the Digizoid Zo2
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #3,442 of 5,992
Care to share? For now I still haven't seen an objective review of the PRO 2900. It's difficult to value the opinion if the same guys tries to convince me that a cable (not only changes but even) improves the sound quality immensely.
I have wasted quite some cash on these forums for allegedly "best bang for the buck" 'phones that turned out to be as awkward sounding as possible.

By now there are a few reviewers I trust, of which I think they have similar ears to mine, but they haven't reviewed the PRO 2900 yet.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #3,443 of 5,992
Hey could anyone unscrew both their left and right drivers and take a pic of the inside of the shell. Specificly the holes where the screws go in.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #3,444 of 5,992
At the end of the day, you can never trust anyone's evaluation and liken it to yours, but I can understand where you are coming from. Personally, I found the Pro 900 a little overrated, but that's my opinion. I liked it, but didn't rave about it as much as some people.

There's an Aussie retailer I've been dealing with here. Obviously he sells the product so he is going to "sell" it to me, but I did make him compare the cans to the Pro 900, and himself and other staff agreed there is a noticeable difference with midrange and soundstage/detail impressions. I spoke to Headroom a few times, and they seem to channel similar thoughts. Added to that, I got him to compare the AD900 to it, and he liked the Pro 2900 a lot more. (I didn't mention that I OWN the AD900). 

I can return the cans and exchange if I am not 200% pleased with them, so that's some consolation. If I have time, I might post some impressions if that helps.

I don't bother with cable upgrading. 

Quote:
Care to share? For now I still haven't seen an objective review of the PRO 2900. It's difficult to value the opinion if the same guys tries to convince me that a cable (not only changes but even) improves the sound quality immensely.
I have wasted quite some cash on these forums for allegedly "best bang for the buck" 'phones that turned out to be as awkward sounding as possible.

By now there are a few reviewers I trust, of which I think they have similar ears to mine, but they haven't reviewed the PRO 2900 yet.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #3,445 of 5,992
Ok, thanks for further positive impressions. I'm highly interested in the PRO 2900. I'm not sure if it's maybe worth it to jump to the T1 right away (the Beyer I've had for one week, so I don't need any reviews). Right now I'm leaning towards the PRO 2900 although I know about one owner who says they are also very special sounding and do quite a few CDs not so well. I will have to try them out, but my next purchase is the PFE 232.

Now this is getting too off-topic, though. Sorry about that. Carry on! :)

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #3,446 of 5,992

Quote:
I'd be very cautious about "the general consensus" if it only consists of two members.

rolleyes.gif
 Do some more research then...there's five or six of us on Head-fi that have posted quite a few impressions on the 2900s-not necessarily a full review. At the end of the day you do have to listen with your own ears and make your own judgement. I've posted quite a few comparisons in this very thread, and so have 2 or 3 others. If our impressions aren't valuable enough for you to take into consideration then:
cool.gif

-Daniel

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #3,448 of 5,992
Cheers, Daniel! I don't want to step on your foot or anything. I've read on a German board that the 2900 and 900 sound very very much the same, but on this forum people say it's the most natural sounding headphone yet - these two opinions just don't match!

But I have nothing to say myself as I haven't heard them yet. For now, your impressions are the most detailed yet and I will have to go with them.

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #3,449 of 5,992

Quote:
ordered a zo2, will tell you how it fares with the Pros.

Ordered one as well. I'm actually pretty satisfied with the bass of the Pro900's but doesn't hurt to try anyway. 
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #3,450 of 5,992

Quote:
You can't really put "most bass" and "controlled" in the same sentence. But the 900 offers an excellent bass "package".

Having said that, the Pro 900 will serve you electronic heaven but what's wrong with the 750??. My last can was the Pro 900, but sold it due to its midrange recession and narrow soundstage.

I've got my eye on the Pro 2900 if you haven't got this on your short list. Could be the ultimate headphone. If you're interested in slightly less bass, but more prominent midrange and expansive soundstage with better separation with details, consider it. That is the general consensus of the Pro 2900 compared to the Pro 900.

Nothing particularly wrong with the 750s except maybe the color. Its just that I am trying to figure out if the 900s will fulfill my needs better than the 750s. I hear that the 900s have a better sound stage than the 750s and not has crazy on the highs. It sounds like I am  trying to justify getting the 900s over the 750s but I have the money and I want the best experience as possible. The reason I am not looking at the 2900s is because need closed headphones to be isolated and to keep from disturbing other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back