Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #3,467 of 5,992

Quote:
I have heard this several times, just as often as "they are completely different." So, luckily, I found somebody who will lend me his PRO 2900 so I can do a side by side comparison. I will send him my PRO 900 first, though, so it won't be before at least another week.

I will create a new thread with a detailed comparison, as I have not yet written a full review of the PRO 900 (on English) yet. So in two weeks from now, I hope to bury this topic once and for all. Stay tuned!

* My impressions will be different to the others, as I think the PRO 900 are not musical at all - although they have great qualities! I also don't believe in cable magic, that silver pads sound much much better ("deeper bass"? Seriously?!) and I also think that amp-synergy is highly overrated. Prepare for a harsh, objective and down-to-earth review without any emotions/hype.

Why is it so hard to believe that different pads sound different?? Surely you don't think we're saying it because they are 'silver' and not 'black'.
rolleyes.gif
 They are very clearly made out of a different material...which obviously is softer so it compresses more than the black ones, and even sits differently on the ears-ALL of which can and will change the sound characteristics! This isn't rocket science here. And I don't care if some ignorant Ultrasone rep claims differently-I owned them both and saw with my own eyes, and heard with my own ears.

I do agree however that amp synergy is overrated, and that the Ultrasones specifically don't react to amp changes as much as other headphones-probably because of the still titanium drivers-who knows. I can tell you there is a very obvious (if not extreme) difference between my C-2.1, Qinpu Q-2, and E-9 with these Ultrasones though-but certainly the changes are more obvious with other 'phones I feel. What's the sensitivity of these anyway-like 98dB if I recall?

-Daniel

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #3,468 of 5,992
Quote:
Why is it so hard to believe that different pads sound different??

It is not, but it is absolutely illogical if sub-bass becomes more prominent with fewer isolation. Also notice that whoever switches from black to silver pads says how much better the silver pads sound - not different, but better! (There was one comment on here not too long ago, from somebody who switched back to black pads saying they sounded more detailed - which makes a lot more sense.)
Same goes for XB700 or J$ pads. I just don't buy it.
On Head-Fi, there is this tendency that everything different automatically is better. In this regard, I trust Ultrasone - or any other company - to have done more research. Did you know they call this place Hype-Fi everywhere else?

However, I will leave these aspects completely out of my review (as I cannot prove they are wrong - I have not bought the silver pads and I will not mod my headphones with Sony pads).

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #3,469 of 5,992
I thought that my opinion on the XB700 pad mod was very restrained and honest.  I don't buy into minor modifications making a significant change to the way a can sounds, period.  The XB700 pad made exactly the changes in the sound that you would expect from an improvement in isolation--and nothing else.  Nothing magical happened--mids didn't suddenly appear more forward, the soundstage didn't become the same as a K701.  Outside noise was blocked out better, short term wear comfort was improved, and the bass became a little more prominent.

I don't understand what there is in that to "not buy".  It's a matter of physics...you eliminate sound leakage, you get a slight change in sound.  Nothing was affected negatively, except my ears got a little hot after a couple of hours.  I'm sure US had a good reason not to go with leather pads...maybe it was because every other headphone in the upper end of the midrange uses velour pads?  I dunno, i'm not privy to their engineering decisions.

Now, the difference between silver and black pads?  They must be exaggerated by dint of the above.  Swapping a velour pad for a velour pad of nearly the exact same dimensions--even if it's made of a very slightly different material--cannot possibly completely alter the sound of a headphone, unless a driver swap accompanied the new pads.

I do have to agree that tons of stuff tends to get exaggerated around here...for example, massive changes in the sound of a DAC or amp by simply changing the tubes or an opamp seems more than a little ridiculous from an engineering standpoint.  But not every review of every change is blown out of proportion.  If a claim sounds ludicrous, it probably is--just ignore it and try to find a more sensible opinion on whatever it is.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #3,470 of 5,992
Yes, I'm sorry about generalizing too much just about now. I don't want to criticize any of you.
I also agree that your impressions were honest and they do sound logical. However, I can imagine that the reason Ultrasone sticks to less isolation and uses velours pads is because it makes the sound more airy. I take this feat over any other for my purposes. To me, the PRO 900 does not sound closed, yet it still isolates much better than any open back design.

After all we all are PRO 900 fans so we have to stick together! Cheers! :)

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #3,471 of 5,992
You're right about the bass-the silver pads merely toned it down compared to the black, both in quantity and impact. I never suggested otherwise though-maybe someone else had. I also stated numerous times that a basshead would still prefer the black pads more than likely, but that they are still a great bassy headphone with the silvers. I suggested that for my personal tastes-they were unequivocally...better. Mainly because they became much more balanced across the spectrum, much more detailed in the mids (i.e. less bass boom/bloat), and thusly were a much better all-around headphone that I could enjoy with far more genres than I previously had with the black stock pads.
deadhorse.gif

I still highly recommend those pads if people can find a decent deal on them, and if they think those sonic changes would suit them well.

-Daniel

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3,472 of 5,992
hey guys, i have a quick question about the Pro 900s. i've had mine for a while and want to make a cable for them, but i can't find out where to get the damn termination they use (on the headphone side, the threaded 3.5mm type). anyone capable of pointing me in the right direction?

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3,473 of 5,992

I believe I claimed neither really trumped the other. The difference is there and I do prefer the silver pads, but I can see how someone would prefer the black ones...

Quote:
It is not, but it is absolutely illogical if sub-bass becomes more prominent with fewer isolation. Also notice that whoever switches from black to silver pads says how much better the silver pads sound - not different, but better! (There was one comment on here not too long ago, from somebody who switched back to black pads saying they sounded more detailed - which makes a lot more sense.)

BornePerfect: "Mainly because they became much more balanced across the spectrum, much more detailed in the mids (i.e. less bass boom/bloat), and thusly were a much better all-around headphone that I could enjoy with far more genres"

Everything in moderation, my friend.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3,474 of 5,992
Double Post

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #3,475 of 5,992

Quote:
hey guys, i have a quick question about the Pro 900s. i've had mine for a while and want to make a cable for them, but i can't find out where to get the damn termination they use (on the headphone side, the threaded 3.5mm type). anyone capable of pointing me in the right direction?

Qables.com has threaded 3.5mm. This is what most people use for their Ultrasone cables. I don't know of any other alternative. I wish I knew what Moon-Audio terminated their cables with. Apparently they don't use a threaded plug.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #3,476 of 5,992
Originally Posted by Voohoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Qables.com has threaded 3.5mm. This is what most people use for their Ultrasone cables. I don't know of any other alternative. I wish I knew what Moon-Audio terminated their cables with. Apparently they don't use a threaded plug.

awesome, thanks

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #3,477 of 5,992
Just got my Pro 900's today.  I literally cannot take this off. I'm listening to classical right now I can hear every breath on the stage.  which actually gets kinda annoying but is really cool.

Btw I'm thinking about doing Kee's mod, J$ mod and Dynamat mod but does anybody have any suggestions or tips?

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3,478 of 5,992

Quote:

SHABAM! http://www.head-fi.org/t/559724/ultrasone-cable-what-connector-do-you-use

You could buy them from Drew directly at Moon Audio, though you'd have to email him as he does not have them posted on his website. Wish I had my cable on me to show you what mine look like, though I can tell you I FREAKING LOVE THEM! Never have to twist my cable counter clockwise so I can put them in properly ever again.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #3,479 of 5,992
Quote:
Just got my Pro 900's today.  I literally cannot take this off. I'm listening to classical right now I can hear every breath on the stage.  which actually gets kinda annoying but is really cool.

Btw I'm thinking about doing Kee's mod, J$ mod and Dynamat mod but does anybody have any suggestions or tips?

Kee's Mod... mehh. I have it done, but I heard no differences. Plus you don't want to void your warranty.

J$ Mod... I have the XB700 pads on mine and it improves the isolation, which in turn gives a more fuller/intimate sound. And lets not forget comfort. I assume the J$ Pads will be more comfortable, especialy if you have a big head like me
tongue.gif

Dynamat Mod... What is that? *Begins using the search tool*

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #3,480 of 5,992

Quote:

Edit:  nevermind.  Didn't see krod's post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back