Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #3,481 of 5,992
Hey does anyone know if Ultrasone could replace the metal branding on the headphones. Mine are all beat up and scratched, shoulda got them ghost armor'd or something.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,483 of 5,992
I normaly just use the cleaning spray for my Oakleys. It works great, but mine have dents and scratches from being used and abused.

I knew I should have bought that headphone stand...

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,487 of 5,992
Well for my PC I only have a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound card. Let me know what else I need if it is not enough. Also, my phone is an HTC Thunderbolt and I was wondering if any one could recommend me a nice portable amp to drive these phones. I am all ears. (no pun intended).

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #3,489 of 5,992
Quote:
Well for my PC I only have a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound card. Let me know what else I need if it is not enough. Also, my phone is an HTC Thunderbolt and I was wondering if any one could recommend me a nice portable amp to drive these phones. I am all ears. (no pun intended).

Just wait for the ZO2. It should be well priced at $100 to $120, making it a great, yet affordable amp.

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #3,490 of 5,992
Oh and I just did a No Mod vs. Kees Mod comparison. I had my left driver modded and my right one was free of mods. Also did have both modded and unmodded for each track.

Opening Statement:

Now I first did the comparison through my laptop using uncompressed WAV music files. No Amp, DAC, or fancy cables, NADA! The sound was honestly the same, but that is because without an amp or DAC the Pro 900 sounds weak and muddy. Now when I pluged it into my rig, the sound change became more obvious. The Kees Mod essentially does what the Pro 2900 does only with a closed back. The mids are moved forward ahead of the bass and I sense a slight (but noticable) increase on the treble. I also noticed the instrument seperation and imaging were also improved. The Bass did take a heavy hit from the Kees mod, but not in a bad way (depending on how you like it). The bass is now tighter and punchy, but it doesn't have that slam and vibration the Pro 900 are known for.

From Here on end I will refer to the mods as "Kees Mod" and "No Mod", let us begin.

Track - Genre:

1. Benny Benassi - Cinema (feat. Gary Go) (Skrillex Remix) - Dubstep

On this track I actually perfered it using the Kees Mod. Now I know it reduced the bass (for Dubstep its MADNESS), but since there's so many sounds going on at once it made it more clean and sepertated all the sounds. The No Mod just sound like a mess and everything blended poorly.

2. Afrojack - Take Over Control (feat. Eva Simons) - Electronic/Dance

The Kees Mod won me over here aswell. Eva Simons voice lacked the passion and clarity on the No Mod. I did feel the track needed bit more bass on the Kees Mod, but Eva's voice just made me forget that.

3. Kanye West - Power - Hip-Hop/Rap

The No Mod was the winner in the Hip-Hop department. I felt Kanye's voice was moved a few spaces back on the Kees Mod. It also lacked the bass quantity which made the song sound weak and boring.

4. Lady Gaga - Born This Way - Pop

I felt it had the same effect as it did on the Kanye track. So No Mod wins.

5. Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise - Pop/Rock

I really like the Kees Mod on this track. It brought out intruments in the background that were clouded by the bass on the drum before. It also moved Phil's voice slightly more forward which made me appriciate the song more as it gave me more of an intimate feeling.

6. Coldplay - Speed of Sound - Pop/Rock

It sounded like magic on the Kees Mod. The better speration of instruments made the felling that the soundstage was wider, while keeping the lead singer's voice right in the center of the stage. I actually listened to the whole X&Y album later on, great stuff.

7. Rob Zombie - Superbeast - Industrial/Metal

Rock is where the Kees Mod really shined for me. It made the guitars sound much more cleaner and moved them a bit forward and instrument sepertation was amazing. But I do listen to a lot of metal tracks, so I do miss the slam I get from the double bass drums. I honestly can't tell which I like more when listening to rock on the Pro 900.

Conclution:

The Kees Mod is great if your looking for more of a studio refrerence/analytical headphone and slightly more natural sound. Though if you are a basshead and can't get enough of it, I wouldn't recommend doing the Kees mod. But if you find the bass overbaring on the Pro 900, the Kees Mod might be your one way ticket to audio nirvana.

I will continue to edit this post if needed and if you'd like me to give an opinion/review on a specific song using (and not using) the Kees Mod feel free to let me know.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #3,493 of 5,992
^ Just  made me DL flac versions of Don't Say Lazy because of that comment.
Mio fans >.< haha.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #3,494 of 5,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Luckily, I found somebody who will lend me his PRO 2900 so I can do a side by side comparison...
I will create a new thread with a detailed comparison, as I have not yet written a full review of the PRO 900 (on English) yet.

Change of plans. :frowning2:

Just got a new work contract and I'll be jumping between Munich and Düsseldorf for the next few weeks. So, no home + no time = no review :frowning2:

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #3,495 of 5,992
Received the AKG K701 and I'm not very impressed. It doesn't really work for many genres. The Pro 900 is a much better all-rounder. Even at the genres where the K701 does well the Pro 900 is not far behind. What surprised me the most was that the Pro 900 has a better soundstage on most of the genres the K701 doesn't do well at (i.e. rock). It wasn't even the lack of bass that turned me down, it was how unimpressed I was with how the K701 was supposed to handle mids and soundstage. Totally not worth it. I'm going to get rid of the K701 as quickly as possible. What would be a good price point taking in mind the phones are 3 years old and the ear pads are slightly worn out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back