Ultrasone pro 750 vs pro 900
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #31 of 54
I listen to rock, instrumental, piano, anything with beautiful female vocals and electronica. Feel free to ask me to listen to anything and I'll try to get to it. I have a few jazz tracks that I listen to from recommendations but I'm no expert at it (but they sound great!). My sources are mostly lossless with some mp3 -v0 and ogg coming from my laptop (wasapi) to a SoundBlaster X-Fi HD to a FiiO e7 (soon to be upgraded to a D6). I know my amp may be lacking to bring out the last few bits of potential out of these cans but I'm still getting great sound.

I'll go in depth at a later date, but I'll say that the bass on the Pro 900 - like the 750 to me - although strong isn't overwhelming or intrusive. If I weren't A/Bing the two it'd be difficult to tell the difference on the bass.

Quote:
What types of music do you listen to? What format (lossless, MP3, etc)?
I would certainly be interested in your comparisons between the two.
Any more bass than I get from my 750's may be too much for my tastes.
(edited spelling)

I'll definitely write one up once I've gotten more experience with them. So far - they're both great. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but there are some slight differences. I had a friend on a recent trip to Hong Kong bring them back - he had a friend in the business and got me a great deal for ~$310.

Quote:
Just because you're "new" doesn't mean you can't write a review! Few people here have both the PRO 750 and 900's; a review and comparison from you could be extremely helpful to the community.

Also, how much did you pay for each? The PRO 900 can be had for $320 via buyauthorized on eBay. They are a trusted seller who have sold legit PRO 900's to many Head-Fi'ers, including me.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #32 of 54
Does the Pro 900 still have the harsh, sibilant and ultra forward treble of the pro 750?

For this reason I couldn't use the 750 for rock or metal.  Its like the treble is right in your face, in front of the rest of the music obscuring it.

I'm hoping this trait is a one off pro 750 thing, not a mainstay of the Ultrasone house sound.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #33 of 54
Does the Pro 900 still have the harsh, sibilant and ultra forward treble of the pro 750?

For this reason I couldn't use the 750 for rock or metal.  Its like the treble is right in your face, in front of the rest of the music obscuring it.

I'm hoping this trait is a one off pro 750 thing, not a mainstay of the Ultrasone house sound.

Firstly, Madpierrot would have to agree with your perception of the Pro 750.
I have the Pro 750 and do not hear aggressive treble or sibilance , just clarity.
It may be my gear (tweaked DIY) or my ears (getting older), but I do know some others have found the same problem of sibilance, so you would need to establish a base of comparison first.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #34 of 54
I'll be writing up a short review and comparison of the two very soon. The 900s should now have a decent amount of burn-in. My experience is like Murrays in that I never found the 750 to be too harsh on the treble although on some songs I could hear sibilance. The 900 does pull back in this area though. The treble and upper mids are pulled back and sounds more veiled although still present and clear. Check back soon, I may write up a review tonight! 

Quote:

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:
I'll be writing up a short review and comparison of the two very soon. The 900s should now have a decent amount of burn-in. My experience is like Murrays in that I never found the 750 to be too harsh on the treble although on some songs I could hear sibilance. The 900 does pull back in this area though. The treble and upper mids are pulled back and sounds more veiled although still present and clear. Check back soon, I may write up a review tonight!

If you do make it a separate thread; as this one is really old.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 54
Here's a cursory review while I wait for my amp to come in. My setup is currently SoundBlaster Titanium -> FiiO e5 -> Ultrasone Pro 750/900. Immediately you can tell that my amping component needs some upgrading, but I can say confidently that I'm still getting good sound although I'm not sure how much the sound will change with proper amping. I'll write up a better review (and a new thread) once the amp arrives.

Build Quality, Comfort & Isolation for both:
First the build quality of both the Pro 750 and 900 is excellent. They feel sturdy with high grade plastic on the outside of the headband and a soft touch coating at the top. Picking up the headphones one can tell that it's a quality product. Both cans also have the ability to fold up quite nicely for transporting.

Both headphones are comfortable. Clamping force feels a little stronger on the Pro 900, but only ever so slightly. They both provide a good seal and the velor pads don't get too hot. There's also a velor cushion at the top of the headband so they can rest comfortably on your head.

Isolation is similarly excellent for both headphones with very little outside noise getting in, although some noise does get out but it's low enough that you should be able to wear these in a quiet environment without disturbing anyone.

Pro 750 Mini Review:

Right off the bat these feel like some aggressive headphones. Presentation is forward with guitars and vocals coming to the front hitting hard but still controlled. Many people on the forums think the upper mids and treble are harsh on the 750 and although I don't agree with them I can see why they would feel like that. The upfront mids and treble make me feel involved with the music, but can get fatiguing after a few hours. I've heard some slight sibilance on some tracks, but it is a rare and minor occurrence.

The bass has a strong kick and presence without sounding bloated. It is tight and well controlled. I can clearly feel the bass drum being hit. On some electronica tracks where the low end is prominent I swear I can feel my ears vibrating to the deep bass. These are definitely wonderful cans for electronic music - Infected Mushroom has never sounded so good. Don't be mistaken though - the bass rarely overpowers - mids and treble come through clearly.

S-Logic seems to work for me as these have a much wider soundstage than other closed cans I've listened to.

Pro 900 Mini Review:

As soon as I put these on I can tell they are more laid back than the Pro 750. Everything feels more balanced and smoother than the 750. The big criticism with the 750s (harsh treble and mids) should be solved for most people with these. While it still present and clear the mids and treble feel further away and are no longer far in front of everything else, due in part probably to the slightly wider soundstage. This makes certain tracks less involving than the 750s, but the 900s offer more of the sound signature that I think most head-fiers are looking for.

Like the 750s bass is strong. In fact it's a little bit stronger, but not by much and it feels less aggressive. If I weren't A/Bing the two it would be very difficult to point out differences in bass. Still tight and controlled the bass goes deeper than the 750s, but doesn't feel as "in-your-face" as the 750s on some tracks.

S-Logic Plus seems to widen the soundstage. I feel like this helps the 900s have a more balanced sound.

Major differences:
The Pro 900 feels more balanced with a slightly wider soundstage. Where the 750 feels like front row, the 900 takes you a couple seats back. Bass reaches slightly deeper on the 900 as well but not by much.

If I had to choose between the two I'd take the Pro 900, although there are quite a few tracks, particularly electronica, where the 750s more forward presentation beats out the 900.

I'll have more to say once my amp comes in! I'm a novice so if there are any details I've left out or people would like to know please let me know.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #37 of 54
Having my first listen to the 900s this afternoon. Man they're bassy! Later tonight I will do some A/B'ing with my Mogami recabled HFI-780s.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #38 of 54
Thanks for the review.  Glad to hear the treble is less forward and harsh on the 900.  My poor bank balance.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #40 of 54
The 900s are darker than the 750 but because of the better balance you actually hear more detail. With the 750s everything is more forward with lead guitar, bass guitar and vocals coming through very strong. The 900s have more bass but the overall presentation of it is laid back compared to the 750s. The 750s are amazing cans and the 900s feel like a more refined version. I have yet to try kee's mod on either of them.

Quote:
Thanks for the review, Madpierrot. I am still happy with the 750's. I wouldn't want to lose mid/treble at the expense of gaining more bass.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #41 of 54
I certainly wouldn't want something much brighter than the Pro 900s at this point! So far they strike a very good balance of detail/resolution, top end extension, and sparkle, while still being reasonably well behaved. Some of my notorious harshness/sibilance test tracks were fine through my new pair....

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #43 of 54

The cups are the same size and are both velor, but according to another post each Ultrasone has it's own specific pad that can alter the sound:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-review/210

I'll try switching out the cups tonight to see what the results are.

Quote:
what about the cups on these ?
are they exactly the same size ?

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #44 of 54
I have both. I like them both. The 900's do have more range and after I got them stopped listening to the 750's. The physical form seems identical (except for the color). I think the mid/treble are very similar between them, but the 900's bring in more bass, giving a great top to bottom sound. Ultrasone do have a bright & defined high end, which I like. The 580's (with 50mm drivers) have exceptional bass (GREAT for trance/electronica, a bit muddy for jazz/classical), the 750's have exceptional mids/highs. I found the 900's to have all the definition of the 750's in the high-end, with more of the 580's great bass (but still not as low, the drivers are 40mm like the 750's). They are my 2nd favorite closed phone. Go with the 900's. Check Buyauthorized on eBay for open box - best price, great quality.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #45 of 54
What's your favorite closed phone?....the 580s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back