Ultrasone pro 750 vs pro 900
Jan 21, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #46 of 54
If any pro 900 owner feels adventurous, try removing the two black stickers on each cup bufferboard. I believe ultrasone put them there to reduce treble, and increase bass and mid presence, at the expense of high freq spatiality. Imo, less musical and engaging, but more like neutral studio headphones.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #47 of 54
Apologies but I may have made an obvious mistake on my review. I'm still very new to this world so bear with me. My amp still hasn't come in because of shipping delays so I haven't been able to give any new insight on these two, but after listening to more tracks and A/Bing the two I actually feel like the 750s have more bass and I have to turn on bass boost on the 900s and I still don't get the same ear-shaking feeling of the 750s. Now I'm wondering if the 750's bass presentation is deceptively strong, my setup is too poor to drive the 900s (both cans should be driven the same though), or if my 900s are somehow flawed.

Some low frequency flac bass test files can be found here: http://sinan.ussakli.net/basstest/

I'm not sure how I missed this the first time through except that the 900s do have great bass and I was perhaps following the trend of the numerous comments I've read about the 900 having more bass. It's still true that 900s have a far more rounded and balanced sound, but the difference in bass now has me worried. Any comments or test suggestions would be appreciated.

edit: I may have found the culprit. The earpad on the 900 may have shifted because when I took it off and put it back on the bass increased greatly. It still feels like the 750s may have slightly more bass, but now they're in the same league. This is probably the bass I heard on the 900s before the earpad shifted somehow.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #48 of 54
Actually my favorite closed phones now are the Denon D5000's, altogether very comfortable and lovely warm sound. For complex music, the 900's might still beat them, they have superior clarity & definition at the high end.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #49 of 54

Quote:
I have both. I like them both. The 900's do have more range and after I got them stopped listening to the 750's. The physical form seems identical (except for the color). I think the mid/treble are very similar between them, but the 900's bring in more bass, giving a great top to bottom sound. Ultrasone do have a bright & defined high end, which I like. The 580's (with 50mm drivers) have exceptional bass (GREAT for trance/electronica, a bit muddy for jazz/classical), the 750's have exceptional mids/highs. I found the 900's to have all the definition of the 750's in the high-end, with more of the 580's great bass (but still not as low, the drivers are 40mm like the 750's). They are my 2nd favorite closed phone. Go with the 900's. Check Buyauthorized on eBay for open box - best price, great quality.

if they are the same. and bass is the only thing that keeps these two aparts then ill be getting the 750. why waste another 300$ for 900

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #50 of 54
Apologies but I may have made an obvious mistake on my review. I'm still very new to this world so bear with me. My amp still hasn't come in because of shipping delays so I haven't been able to give any new insight on these two, but after listening to more tracks and A/Bing the two I actually feel like the 750s have more bass and I have to turn on bass boost on the 900s and I still don't get the same ear-shaking feeling of the 750s. Now I'm wondering if the 750's bass presentation is deceptively strong, my setup is too poor to drive the 900s (both cans should be driven the same though), or if my 900s are somehow flawed.

I'm not sure how I missed this the first time through except that the 900s do have great bass and I was perhaps following the trend of the numerous comments I've read about the 900 having more bass. It's still true that 900s have a far more rounded and balanced sound, but the difference in bass now has me worried. Any comments or test suggestions would be appreciated.

edit: I may have found the culprit. The earpad on the 900 may have shifted because when I took it off and put it back on the bass increased greatly. It still feels like the 750s may have slightly more bass, but now they're in the same league. This is probably the bass I heard on the 900s before the earpad shifted somehow.

Yes, you must ensure that the pads are wedged on tight to get the full sound. The pads are designed to be "quick release" and sometimes they work loose by themselves due to movement. I have had to cure that by adding some small strips of PVC tape around the edge to keep the pads locked on tight. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #51 of 54
I've had the 900s for about 2 weeks now and love them. I've noticed that I get some slight microphonics when I open my jaw wide and close again - it appears to be coming from the cup stretching away from the headband (jaw open) and when it comes back it makes a slight tap (jaw closed).

The sound can be recreated by lowering your jaw a little and moving it left and right - this should cause the cups to tap against the headband. It's not a deal breaker but it is annoying and I didn't notice this problem on the Pro 750. Anyone else have this issue or similar?

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #52 of 54
Hinges can do that. It happens a little on all three of my headphones actually, most on my used SA5000. I haven't really tried to fix it, but I think a lot of silicone ear plug puddy can fix it. Lol I think in the last year 30% of my advice on headphones has been to use silicone puddy. Or just ignore it or stop your gum chewing ways.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #54 of 54
Comfort and construction are the same. Some people say the Pro 900's pads are bigger and comfier - I don't know if those were earlier models but when I had both I compared the two and noticed no difference.

Quote:
How do they compare on comfort and durability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back