Ultrasone pro 750 vs pro 900
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 54
I have 750, never listened to 900.
But 750 is just fine.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they beat markl modded D5000 for sure.

Can you explain this further in terms of different sound signature? I've got a pair of 750 Pros and a pair of Senn 650s. Powering them with a WA6 and feeding it with Pico DAC. I've been thinking about markl modded Denons for a while but have no idea what to expect vs. my Ultrasone 750s. I'm considering recabling the 750s also, possibly with Moon Audio Silver Dragons. I find the Ultrasone's to be more fun than the Senns almost always but definitely they lack a lot in terms of neutrality and soundstage. With my current rig the bass is just generally too much on most tracks -- and I do appreciate bass. Just thinking that the silver recable might tighten the bass a lot and possibly add air / smoothness to the highs and bring the mids forward a bit. Any guidance?

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 54
I didn't have the chance to hear a markl modded D5000 but I do have a partially markl'd and recabled D2000 and did compare it to a Proline 750. I much preferred the sound out of my Denon as it's a lot more natural and smoother compared to the Pro 750 with its metallic/harsh/digital treble and painful sibilance. It's hard to be objective for me because that thing was almost painful to listen to but it's much more forward and faster compared to the D2000.

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 54
A lot of the time recabling on a cheaper model might give you better result than moving up to the next model. I have a pair of Pro 750 and a pair of HFI 650 with the Blue Dragon cable. They are both still new and not have the proper burn in but at least they are on a level playing field. Rightnow the recabled 650 sound better than the Pro 750- better clarity and bass. Don't know if it will still be the case when they are fully burnt in.
I am selling my HFI 650 on ebay as we speak to balance the book for my Edition 9. If I do keep the Pro 750 I will difinitely change the cable.

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 54
No recable can save that kind of unnatural high presentation. I honestly don't know what was on Ultrasone's mind when they decided to make the Pro 750 to sound like that.

On another note, I haven't had the chance to try the HFI series.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say bass boast, does it mean bom boom sound or more like mid bass sound from bookshelf speakers?

Yes...more boom boom for electronica if you are a little bass head will work good, and if you listen to rock or classic it's fine. The 900 overall are more balanced over the FR spectrum.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No recable can save that kind of unnatural high presentation. I honestly don't know what was on Ultrasone's mind when they decided to make the Pro 750 to sound like that.

On another note, I haven't had the chance to try the HFI series.

I think they made it sound like that on purpose because it aides in professional audio work and critical listening. If you do either of the two you should be satisfied with the Pro 750, but if you only sit back and enjoy music then you are likely to be disappointed. You gotta admit though, great detail ^_^.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am quite happy with the detailed sound from my Pro 750's - no problems with "harsh digital" or "sibilance" type distortions. I imagine they they could be quite merciless in the wrong situation. Perhaps you are hearing bad things from further up the audio chain and the 750's are not filtering them out for you? If you don't like the message you shouldn't blame the messenger.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #27 of 54
Any more input on this? I've had the Pro 750 for a week and love it. So much that it's got me eyeballing the Pro 900 already.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 54
So I couldn't resist and I bought the Pro 900 to compare it with the Pro 750. They're currently burning in so I can't give much of a review but initial impressions are that they are smoother and more controlled than the 750 right out of the box. Bass also seems to have a bit more kick to it. I haven't written any reviews and I'm still new to head-fi. These are my first set of headphones above $200 and so far I'm impressed with both of them, but I haven't determined if the Pro 900 is worth the extra cash compared to the 750.

If anyone has tracks that they'd like me to listen to and give impressions of on both cans list them here and I'll try to get to them.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #29 of 54
What types of music do you listen to? What format (lossless, MP3, etc)?
I would certainly be interested in your comparisons between the two.
Any more bass than I get from my 750's may be too much for my tastes.
(edited spelling)

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:
So I couldn't resist and I bought the Pro 900 to compare it with the Pro 750. They're currently burning in so I can't give much of a review but initial impressions are that they are smoother and more controlled than the 750 right out of the box. Bass also seems to have a bit more kick to it. I haven't written any reviews and I'm still new to head-fi. These are my first set of headphones above $200 and so far I'm impressed with both of them, but I haven't determined if the Pro 900 is worth the extra cash compared to the 750.

If anyone has tracks that they'd like me to listen to and give impressions of on both cans list them here and I'll try to get to them.

Just because you're "new" doesn't mean you can't write a review! Few people here have both the PRO 750 and 900's; a review and comparison from you could be extremely helpful to the community.

Also, how much did you pay for each? The PRO 900 can be had for $320 via buyauthorized on eBay. They are a trusted seller who have sold legit PRO 900's to many Head-Fi'ers, including me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back