ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Jul 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,111 of 2,431
The only downside of the EF-5 is that it's powerful for the Sig Pro and the volume pot is incremental, not smooth, so I end up using iTunes volume for finer adjustments

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,112 of 2,431
Hmm, I guess you have a new EF-5? I have one of the first ones (I think). The volume pot is continuous, not stepped.

And yea, I figured the EF-5 would serve way more voltage than the Sig Pro needs. I don't even go past 9 o'clock with my HE-4 plugged in!

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,113 of 2,431
i think i have the newer one.  the gain switch on mine is on the bottom of the amp.  i couldn't find it for awhile!  I got it for my LCD-3 because it has pretty high current.  ​
I have Schiit's Mjolnir on pre-order.  It'll hopefully be ready to ship out in mid-July.  I'm eager to try the LCD-3 balanced.​

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,114 of 2,431
Ugh, now I'm tempted to buy an HE-500. Ultrasone, please make an OPEN back Signature!

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,116 of 2,431
Just got my 2nd pair of Signature PRO's and I love them! I think my previous pair was defective or something because the bass section was flat and nearly absent compared to Edition 8. Now the bass is deep and punchy, on par with the Ed 8 sound. I love everything about them now except for the harsh highs. Hope it will be gone with the burn in I'm going to give to them.

Finally, after half a year of searching for the ultimate full sized closed headphone, I think I've finally found the perfect one. So I think I'll be preparing a comparison review between all the stuff I've managed to get during this half a year research. It will be Sig PRO vs Ed 8 vs Denon D7000 (full LA mod) vs Sony Z1000 vs Shure 840. Maybe I'll add my old Sennheizer HD280 just for fun :D

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #1,117 of 2,431
Quote:
Just got my 2nd pair of Signature PRO's and I love them! I think my previous pair was defective or something because the bass section was flat and nearly absent compared to Edition 8. Now the bass is deep and punchy, on par with the Ed 8 sound.

Congrats, that's good to hear.  

But concerning for Sig pro owners in general if QC is all over the shop...

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,119 of 2,431
This may sound like an odd comparison, but has anyone compared the Sig Pro to the PSB M4U2?  I have, but about a month apart and from what I recall, the M4U2 hold their own (even unamped) at 1/3 the price, just want to see if anyone else feels the same.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,121 of 2,431
The HE500's need amping a lot more than the Signature Pro's, but the amp used doesn't have to be anything stellar.  They're a much better value, though, if you're just looking for a home headphone. 

Although they do sound good, I think most of the Signature Pro's price premium is for how well they perform as portables. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,122 of 2,431
Much better value? here they are both at the same price. SP even cheaper.
Lets say I have very good DAC and Amp and Im searching home HP with "big" but neutral sound with great PRaT, dynamics but still lots of details. My main Hp were Beyerdynamic DT880 and I need something more involving than, lets say monitoring. Not so fun sounding and boomy as Denons though. I also found HD800 too "boring" for longer listening even these are great overall. Much better preferred K1000 bass heavy.
Never heard Hifimans and only had Pro2500 from Ultrasones which had very harsh highs.
Closed or open it doesnt matter. If anyone could give me even more details in comparisions HE500 to SP and even HE400 that would be nice.
Thanks

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,123 of 2,431
Quote:
The HE500's need amping a lot more than the Signature Pro's, but the amp used doesn't have to be anything stellar.  They're a much better value, though, if you're just looking for a home headphone. 

Although they do sound good, I think most of the Signature Pro's price premium is for how well they perform as portables. 

I agree, for the money the HE500 is a great deal.  It ranks well with the $1,000 headphones for much less.  The Sig Pro is much easier to drive, lighter, and since it is closed I can use it with a portable player in bed. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #1,125 of 2,431
Quote:
Guys, here where I live both HP costs about the same amount of money. Are you going to say that for home use, properly amped Hifimans would be better sounding HP?

I don't know what prices you are talking about. If you are in the EU, then compare EU prices from anywhere that ships to you, nothing else makes sense.

Hifiman HE-500 is max 599€  (I haggled it 550€ from my local hifi shop and it's 599€ everywhere in Germany etc webshops).

Signature Pros are 830-880€ from Thomann. I'm pretty sure you can't find them cheaper than HE-500!

If you don't need closed headphones, IMO HE-500 is a no brainer (haven't heard HE-400). If you want lots of bass and very small soundstage, another matter then..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back