ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Jul 2, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #1,096 of 2,431
LOL @ the double cable entry on the Signature Pro. Looks even more like the Edition 9 now.

For portable use, a detachable single-entry cable makes so much more sense to me. The wired double-entry cable on one of my Edition 9s has started to crack down the middle seam of the jacket, exposing the wiring underneath.

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #1,097 of 2,431
The double entry cable on Edition 9 is terrible. I feel strangled when I wear them. Along with the small ear cups, clamping headband with the bit that presses on top of your head- make them some of the most uncomfortable headphones to wear.  I hope the Signature Pro improves on that ( single entry is a good start, one plus point for them).

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,098 of 2,431
I think the Edition 8 is even worse: awkwardly shaped, small earpads and an L-split that isn't low enough and causes that choking feeling.

My biggest qualms with the Edition 9 are build quality related. Considering that's the main marketing point of the Edition series, it's quite silly: the black chrome coating gets spotty and flakes in spots (usually around the edges of the earcups), the brass weave coating on the logos and lettering flakes and fades leaving behind a rather unattractive muddy undercoating, and then the cable splitting open as previously mentioned.

The Signature Pro is really sensibly built by comparison. It terms of comfort it's definitely a step ahead of the Editions (aside from the Edition 10). There's a bit of clamping pressure, but that's partially responsible for their amazing isolation.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #1,099 of 2,431
I have to try these sometimes...

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #1,100 of 2,431
When done right the dual entry would be just fine. I also think that to use them balanced (mainly concerned with balanced portable amps here) you'd have to recable. 

Depending on what cable you use single entry cans feel awkward to some because of the weight of the cable being on one side. The coiled cable did this with the Pro 750 for me.

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,101 of 2,431
Quote:
I have to try these sometimes...

Just registered really to say thanks to everyone posting on here. Really good information.
These are my first good quality headphones - I wanted the best sound possible from closed ones for use on the train and to not disturb others at work etc. These sound great listening to FLAC files on the HiFiMan 801 player. They also are not too flashy which is a bonus, although to try to make them even less noticeable I've been playing with a 50mm wide roll of black electrical tape (hope that's not too out of order!).

I wanted to have a listen before buying, but found it difficult via the web to find a listed stockist in the uk. A quick email to the uk distributors elicited a reply advising that Harrods in London have them available to demo. So a trip there revealed quite a few headphones on demo, including the SPs, ED8 and ED10s, along with a variety of Senheiser (including HD800), and Grados. The place was pretty noisy at the time so useless for checking out the open HPs, but in many ways ideal to listen to the SPs as I intended using them in a noisy environment. The best bit was that the list price was £750 - same as the cheapest I could find on the web, but they were having a 10% off event so I left with what I thought was a bit of a bargain at £675. 

Although I've had a reasonable hifi for years, these are my first pair of "good" headphones. So my inexperienced impression is that they are very detailed but also deliver what I'd describe as very good "attack" when (for example) drums come in. They also are really fun with plenty of energy on stuff like The Shamen - En-Tact. They don't have a very wide soundstage (as has been mentioned previously). Initially on some tracks female voices were a little bit annoying/irritating/rough (Suzanne Vega - The Queen and the Soldier, some Tracy Chapman tracks). However this has pretty much entirely disappeared after the first 20 or so hours of listening. I now find them to sound basically "brilliant" (sorry it's not very descriptive), so if they last (and they seem very well built), I cannot see me changing them for many years.

As I said at the start, thanks to this forum for helping me find these headphones!

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,102 of 2,431
Quote:
The best bit was that the list price was £750 - same as the cheapest I could find on the web, but they were having a 10% off event so I left with what I thought was a bit of a bargain at £675.

FYI, thomann.de has it for £716 with free shipping. There is also B-Stock (customer returns, several of them it seems, soon mine will join it) for £660, full 3 years warranty and no questions asked 30 day free returns..

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,103 of 2,431
That's the spirit!
Ultrasone is so proud of their glass on the earpieces and that is the first thing you hide from the world....
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,104 of 2,431
Quote:

Looking forward to hearing that Sonosax of yours. Looks interesting. Where did you get it in the UK?

Thanks...

I won't derail this thread but the Sonosax is a real gem.  It will make you realise how good 16 bit can really be.

I bought it from a European seller.  HAven't seen one for sale for the last 2 years though.

It drives everything from JH13's through to the Ed 9 with no problems at all so I'm sure it will match the Sig Pro too.

In short, I'd describe it as a Nagra quality portable DAC  / Amp.  It just happens to offer balanced output too!.

See you in September in Cambridgeshire!

Regards

Sceptre

PS - may find myself in Harrods soon to hear the Sig Pro and Ed 10. 

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,105 of 2,431
I just got the Sig Pro today!  I've had the Pro 2900 for a number of weeks now.   
I'm a total noob when it comes to being able to analyze how headphones sound with sophistication and being able to articulate this.  With this in mind, and that I've only listened to the Sig Pros for about three hours so far, I'm struck by how much clearer it is than the Pro 2900.  To me, the Pro 2900 has more bass but it's relatively muddy.  Strangely, I'm not finding the Sig Pro to be any darker than the Pro 2900 (given that the Pro 2900 seems to have harsh treble to a lot of people).  I do find the Sig Pro's treble to sound much better to me.  Also, I'm finding the Sig Pro to be much more resolving across the board.
So far, I'm happy.  I wanted a portable, closed, easily driven headphone that sounds great and this seems to fit the bill.  

​

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,106 of 2,431
My Sig Pro's serial # is SP 01036.  Just in case anybody is looking at possible trends in variations among different units' sound signatures.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,107 of 2,431
Nice to see that your enjoying them. Congrats.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,108 of 2,431
Thanks!
Hey, I was wondering if you guys have noticed significant differences driving the Sig Pros with different amps.  I think I've noticed quite significant differences, but I'm still quite inexperienced, and so I don't trust my ears that much.  
I've used two portable amps, RSA SR-71b (single ended because I have the stock cable) and Alo National, as well as Hifiman's EF-5.
Driven by the National, compared to the SR-71b, it sounds brighter and also sharper (more detailed).  I like the darker sound of the SR-71b but don't like what I perceive as the relative muddiness.
Driven by the EF-5, to me, it sounds awesome; much better than on the two portable amps I have - more powerful and impactful at volumes that I subjectively approximate as equal (to what I listen to on the portable amps), with tight/powerful bass, and super smooth yet detailed.  

Quote:
Nice to see that your enjoying them. Congrats.

​

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #1,109 of 2,431
Quote:
Thanks!
Hey, I was wondering if you guys have noticed significant differences driving the Sig Pros with different amps.  I think I've noticed quite significant differences, but I'm still quite inexperienced, and so I don't trust my ears that much.  
I've used two portable amps, RSA SR-71b (single ended because I have the stock cable) and Alo National, as well as Hifiman's EF-5.
Driven by the National, compared to the SR-71b, it sounds brighter and also sharper (more detailed).  I like the darker sound of the SR-71b but don't like what I perceive as the relative muddiness.
Driven by the EF-5, to me, it sounds awesome; much better than on the two portable amps I have - more powerful and impactful at volumes that I subjectively approximate as equal (to what I listen to on the portable amps), with tight/powerful bass, and super smooth yet detailed.  

​

Nice to hear that the Sig Pro pairs well with the EF-5. I have an EF-5 myself!

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,110 of 2,431
Quote:
Thanks!

​

I have only tried with a FiiO E11 since I primarily listen on the go, but it makes sense that the Signature Pro would sound noticeably different with different amps since they are so detailed, transparent and responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back