ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,386 of 2,431
I just bought a new set of these for £350. I'm very happy. Early listening and they sound very good. Just wish they were balanced

Which amp are you using? I am looking for good matching portable amp for this HP

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,388 of 2,431
Which amp are you using? I am looking for good matching portable amp for this HP
I've used it straight out of a cayin n8 today. Sounded very good indeed

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2,389 of 2,431
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2,390 of 2,431
Out of my budget, any suggestions under 1k?
Hmm what about one of those ifi black label. Very under rated headphones anyhow. For just over £300 I'm very happy

May 30, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #2,391 of 2,431
I have listened to and owned a lot of headphones over the past 15 years or so, bought and sold well over 30. I have had the Sig Pros for around 7 years (longest I have ever kept a headphone by some margin) and I simply love their sound. They are a superb listen from either desktop electronics or a DAP. Sound wise I really don't have any complaints, they compare well against just about everything and are just a fun sound and reasonably realistic. Original pads are good quality but uncomfortable, so they have been replaced (Leather Brainwavz) and head band is a bad design (only limited contact with one's head) albeit still comfy enough not to cause me any issue. Ultrasone Signature Pro don't get much attention on Headfi, not rated when threads about closed headphones get discussed. That is the loss of the Headfiers that will never hear them IMO. IMG_0149.JPG

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #2,392 of 2,431
Original pads are good quality but uncomfortable, so they have been replaced (Leather Brainwavz)

Do you have the model number for the Barinwavz handy?

I still have the original pads that have long given up the ghost. I can't bring myself to change them due to the crazy high price of the stock ones.

How do these compare to stock?

May 30, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #2,393 of 2,431
Two things in response to the last two posts: in short, (1) I still find the Sig Pro to be a great headphone, and recently have sort of verified it objectively, and (2) I have recently replaced the earpads cheaply and so effectively that I prefer what I have now to the original ones.

Regarding the first thing: I have recently been upgrading my headphone-only computer audio transport-based system, which feeds into a Stax SRM-t007ii, Kimik-modified, and a Lehmann Audio Linear amplifier via a Chord DAC64 (using both the phono and the XLR outputs on the Chord). The Stax headphones I use in that system are the SR-007 Mk 1. The dynamic headphones that I use in that system are a set of modified Ultrasone Edition 9s (with Jena Labs copper cable put there by Ken Ball over 10 years ago, when ALO Audio did that kind of thing) and an unmodified set of Denon AH-D7000 headphones. The upgrades have been to the computer (adding a USB card and improving the USB-SPDIF converter, plus using a Wyred4Sound PS-1 power supply with upgraded DC cables). The sound is now very good from that system.

I use as my main portable headphones my Signature Pro headphones, and recently I replaced the earpads with the standard Ultrasone velour-covered ones that work on a whole lot of Ultrasone headphones, including the HFI-780. The Sig Pros are now much more comfortable than they were. I have also modified them in that I use an Oyaide HPC cable instead of the stock cable. When I tried them last night having perfected the sound from the DAC64-based system, the sound (with them fed by an iPhone XS, used as a streamer, using Qobuz, going via a Moon Audio Silver Dragon Lightning to USB A cable into a Teac HA-P90SD) was comparable (playing, of course, the same music on both systems, at the same time, but with the music on the computer on its SSD, so not streaming into the computer). That, for me, is quite an endorsement. Arguably, I have wasted my money on the computer-based system, but not really, because the Stax sound is sort of special. Anyway, the Sig Pro is definitely still, for me, the best portable headphone.

May 30, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #2,394 of 2,431
Do you have the model number for the Barinwavz handy?

I still have the original pads that have long given up the ghost. I can't bring myself to change them due to the crazy high price of the stock ones.

How do these compare to stock

Cannot remember the model of the Brainwavz pads, in fact I think they were discontinued when I bought them. How do they compare? Comfort is perfect, I can wear them for as long as I like with absolutely no problems whatsoever, even heat isn't an issue, very comfortable indeed, super cushion soft, YMMV however - different climates ears etc.

Sound - I don't think there is much difference. Due to the ears being further from the drivers, sound stage could be a bit bigger over original pads, however not a lot of difference.
The passive isolation although originally pretty good may have been improved as well. It has been a fair while since I changed the pads, so it is my memory from when i did it that I am using for context. I was conscious of not losing the sound signature that I liked so much and I didn't notice any negative aspects at all when I changed pads, very little difference at all apart form comfort. If you go down the Brainwavz avenue, simply consider the Sig Pro Pad dimensions-Below:
Outer diameter: 100 mm x 90 mm
Inner diameter: 56 mm x 45 mm

Based on the size looking at the current Brainwavz site I would say:
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...ucts/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin
Actually those pads linked are 110 X 90 so might be too big.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/prod...in-leather-angled?_pos=5&_sid=d90da8b3a&_ss=r
The link directly above is to smaller dimension pads 110 X 80 these will fit I am sure (although the listed headphones seems to be the same for the above slightly bigger pads) however these are angled. I don't think it will make any difference and you will be able to turn the pads to vary where the angle occurs. Contact Brainwavz they will be able to help.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #2,395 of 2,431
Cannot remember the model of the Brainwavz pads, in fact I think they were discontinued when I bought them. How do they compare? Comfort is perfect, I can wear them for as long as I like with absolutely no problems whatsoever, even heat isn't an issue, very comfortable indeed, super cushion soft, YMMV however - different climates ears etc.

Sound - I don't think there is much difference. Due to the ears being further from the drivers, sound stage could be a bit bigger over original pads, however not a lot of difference.
The passive isolation although originally pretty good may have been improved as well. It has been a fair while since I changed the pads, so it is my memory from when i did it that I am using for context. I was conscious of not losing the sound signature that I liked so much and I didn't notice any negative aspects at all when I changed pads, very little difference at all apart form comfort. If you go down the Brainwavz avenue, simply consider the Sig Pro Pad dimensions-Below:
Outer diameter: 100 mm x 90 mm
Inner diameter: 56 mm x 45 mm

Based on the size looking at the current Brainwavz site I would say:
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...ucts/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin
Actually those pads linked are 110 X 90 so might be too big.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/prod...in-leather-angled?_pos=5&_sid=d90da8b3a&_ss=r
The link directly above is to smaller dimension pads 110 X 80 these will fit I am sure (although the listed headphones seems to be the same for the above slightly bigger pads) however these are angled. I don't think it will make any difference and you will be able to turn the pads to vary where the angle occurs. Contact Brainwavz they will be able to help.

Cheers thanks for the help! I have had my set sitting in a box for far to long.

P.S. Nice to know there are other Tasmanian Headfi people out there!

May 30, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #2,396 of 2,431
Two things in response to the last two posts: in short, (1) I still find the Sig Pro to be a great headphone, and recently have sort of verified it objectively, and (2) I have recently replaced the earpads cheaply and so effectively that I prefer what I have now to the original ones.

Regarding the first thing: I have recently been upgrading my headphone-only computer audio transport-based system, which feeds into a Stax SRM-t007ii, Kimik-modified, and a Lehmann Audio Linear amplifier via a Chord DAC64 (using both the phono and the XLR outputs on the Chord). The Stax headphones I use in that system are the SR-007 Mk 1. The dynamic headphones that I use in that system are a set of modified Ultrasone Edition 9s (with Jena Labs copper cable put there by Ken Ball over 10 years ago, when ALO Audio did that kind of thing) and an unmodified set of Denon AH-D7000 headphones. The upgrades have been to the computer (adding a USB card and improving the USB-SPDIF converter, plus using a Wyred4Sound PS-1 power supply with upgraded DC cables). The sound is now very good from that system.

I use as my main portable headphones my Signature Pro headphones, and recently I replaced the earpads with the standard Ultrasone velour-covered ones that work on a whole lot of Ultrasone headphones, including the HFI-780. The Sig Pros are now much more comfortable than they were. I have also modified them in that I use an Oyaide HPC cable instead of the stock cable. When I tried them last night having perfected the sound from the DAC64-based system, the sound (with them fed by an iPhone XS, used as a streamer, using Qobuz, going via a Moon Audio Silver Dragon Lightning to USB A cable into a Teac HA-P90SD) was comparable (playing, of course, the same music on both systems, at the same time, but with the music on the computer on its SSD, so not streaming into the computer). That, for me, is quite an endorsement. Arguably, I have wasted my money on the computer-based system, but not really, because the Stax sound is sort of special. Anyway, the Sig Pro is definitely still, for me, the best portable headphone.

For me its would be amazing to do the balanced mod for use with my wm1z.

May 30, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #2,397 of 2,431
I have listened to and owned a lot of headphones over the past 15 years or so, bought and sold well over 30. I have had the Sig Pros for around 7 years (longest I have ever kept a headphone by some margin) and I simply love their sound. They are a superb listen from either desktop electronics or a DAP. Sound wise I really don't have any complaints, they compare well against just about everything and are just a fun sound and reasonably realistic. Original pads are good quality but uncomfortable, so they have been replaced (Leather Brainwavz) and head band is a bad design (only limited contact with one's head) albeit still comfy enough not to cause me any issue. Ultrasone Signature Pro don't get much attention on Headfi, not rated when threads about closed headphones get discussed. That is the loss of the Headfiers that will never hear them IMO.IMG_0149.JPG
I completely agree with your assessment! Best portable headphones I have ever owned. Also great for listening in bed without disturbing wife.

May 31, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #2,398 of 2,431
Any suggestion on Portable Amp to use with Sig pro.

I am driving from Mojo, it sounds good with Mojo but it may benefit from powerful amp

May 31, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #2,399 of 2,431
@musicinmymind The Mojo has more than enough power to drive the Sig Pro (based on specs). I don't think a more powerful amp is your quest, maybe a different signature. I love the sound of my Sig Pro through any device I have run it from, however for me it sounds amazing directly from the A&K SR15. Just a perfect sound synergy. I have never heard the Mojo, so I can't comment on the sound combination, however I am sure it is not more juice you seek.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #2,400 of 2,431
@musicinmymind The Mojo has more than enough power to drive the Sig Pro (based on specs). I don't think a more powerful amp is your quest, maybe a different signature. I love the sound of my Sig Pro through any device I have run it from, however for me it sounds amazing directly from the A&K SR15. Just a perfect sound synergy. I have never heard the Mojo, so I can't comment on the sound combination, however I am sure it is not more juice you seek.

See this post, he of view that Sig Pro scale with a powerful source

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ultrasone-new-announced-headphone-signature-pro.570388/post-15479719

I live in Dubai and cannot find any good portable amp locally, if anyone using and confirm portable amp good with Sig Pro, I can grab it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back