ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Jan 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #301 of 2,431
Jan 26, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #302 of 2,431

It will be interesting to hear whether the Edition 8 or Signature Pro ends up being your Ultrasone favorite 
smile.gif

It's the Signature Pro for me.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #304 of 2,431
really?

which genre of songs do you think ED8 would do better?

my signature is almost fully run-in, maybe a few days left

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #306 of 2,431

Quote:
I'd be interested in a comparison between the Signature Pro and Denon D7000, anyone heard/own both?

I own both, yes.

The D7000 is more colored, smoother, and has a bit more bass emphasis. The Signature Pro has more of a neutral sound, slightly more controlled / tighter bass, and has more of an analytic way of presenting details. Both are easy to listen to and not fatiguing imo.

The Signature Pro isolates much better and is better as a portable due to better build quality. Detachable cable on the Signature Pro vs. a rather annoying cable on the D7000 that is prone to twisting up easily despite claims by Denon to the contrary.

I like both for different reasons.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #308 of 2,431

Quote:
Thanks for that. Hmm sounds like a departure from Ultrasone's typical sound. I'd been keen to try an Edition 9 one day if that is like a Pro900 but "better".

The Signature Pro is a departure from Ultrasone's recent direction with the Edition 8 and 10, as both of those are brighter (especially the 10). The Signature Pro's upper end reminds me of the Edition 9 while the lower end isn't as massive as the Edition 9. The lower end is more like the Edition 8.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #309 of 2,431
The Signature Pro is a departure from Ultrasone's recent direction with the Edition 8 and 10, as both of those are brighter (especially the 10). The Signature Pro's upper end reminds me of the Edition 9 while the lower end isn't as massive as the Edition 9. The lower end is more like the Edition 8.

You guys prefer it being less bright? I think that's what I like the most about my Ed. 8.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #311 of 2,431
Yes, I personally find the Edition 8 to have a bit too much glare at the top end on certain tracks. The Signature Pro manages to keep it in check without sacrificing treble clarity and sparkle.

Interesting. I'd like to try it, but at this point I don't really care about headphones anymore. At the end of the day, headphones are still just headphones. IMO, they're useful for personal listening when you need isolation. For home-use, speakers are where it's at :wink:

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #312 of 2,431

Quote:
Interesting. I'd like to try it, but at this point I don't really care about headphones anymore. At the end of the day, headphones are still just headphones. IMO, they're useful for personal listening when you need isolation. For home-use, speakers are where it's at
wink.gif

That's cool. I can understand where you're coming from with that.

For me, it's just as much about the headphones themselves and collecting them as it is attaining high quality sound. Also I like experimenting with different sonic signatures and speakers would be much harder to collect for me right now.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #313 of 2,431

Quote:

For me, it's just as much about the headphones themselves and collecting them as it is attaining high quality sound. Also I like experimenting with different sonic signatures and speakers would be much harder to collect for me right now.

+1

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #314 of 2,431

That's a good point. You can't really collect speakers unless you have a lot of space (and money). You get pretty much the best you can afford and enjoy it. Headphones are cheap, so you can collect and experiment. I just suggest that you get a proper speaker setup that can match your best headphones. When you do, chances are you won't be using your headphones nearly as much :wink:

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #315 of 2,431

Quote:
That's a good point. You can't really collect speakers unless you have a lot of space (and money). You get pretty much the best you can afford and enjoy it. Headphones are cheap, so you can collect and experiment. I just suggest that you get a proper speaker setup that can match your best headphones. When you do, chances are you won't be using your headphones nearly as much
wink.gif

Chatting with a few blokes I know who are actually in the HiFi trade, even they admit (somewhat reluctantly) that the good ol' days of 2 Channel big spenders
 are waning. It's not just about the cash anymore, it's about space and the ability to enjoy the stereo setup without causing a ruckus with neighbours.

A city like Melbourne is growing like a mushroom, the legend of massive backyards and frontyards is becoming mythical now, most folk are living in
 smaller places with cardboard thin walls.

The only people on reasonable money who are truly doing what ever they want are usually out in country Victoria on their own property. Sure, crank
 'The Who' at 10 minutes past midnight and air guitar away - no one will know 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back