ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Jun 24, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #2,206 of 2,431
Thank you Levaix. After seeing your reply, I read the reviews of ZMF Blackwood on this site and it seems its sound is more like what I might love. Someone even thinks it's on pair with th900 and beats Lcd-xc, which is quite interesting. So now my options might be Sig Pro, Alpha Prime, ZMF Blackwood.
How do you find its isolation and leakage? I can imagine Sig Pro must be better in this area. I bought one pair of hd600 but just found that I couldn't use it in office because of sound leakage. So isolation/leakage is a quite important factor. I don't consider th900 seriously just due to their poor isolation/leakage performance(from what I have read so for).
Portability is another thing to consider. It's not critical but will be a big plus. I spend 2 hours on public transport everyday, and currently and currently I am happy with my fx850. My understanding is that Sig Pro is easily portable but Blackwood is almost not.
To me, sound is definitely the most important thing, then isolation/leakage/portability. I don't mind adding an amp. I will probably buy one even for Sig Pro.
So what would be your option taking sound/isolation/leakage/portability into account? I know this is a subjective thing, but I'd like to hear your opinion:)

Sig Pros would fit the bill here, and they have the benefit of being very easy to drive. If you're okay with something a little bigger, I'd highly recommend the ZMF Blackwood. The former is a bit more detailed and has extremely extended but flat highs, and the latter has a more natural, richer tonality. I do have to say if you're okay with the size and having a small amp, the Blackwood is really an excellent option. I did end up deciding on the Sig Pros between the two, but the decision might have been different if I didn't already own them.

I haven't heard the AP yet, but from what I understand the treble is a bit more forward.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2,207 of 2,431
Sig Pro's are probably one of the best full sized headphones in the world if you're looking for headphones with minimal sound leakage. Just like Ultrasone Edition 8's, they are dead silent and can be used at work without any issue at all.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,208 of 2,431
I have both the Ed 8 and sig pro. They each have their own sound sig but one thing is for sure, the Ed 8 is so much more comfortable that it's sick. One is about my most comfortable phone((ed8) and the other is without a doubt my least comfortable(sigpro). That said, the sigpro does isolate better in my book so in noisy house it is what I grab.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #2,209 of 2,431
Thanks, guys.
ED8 is not in my option list is because it looks too fashionable to me and its sound signature may be not what I might like.

I am still considering only Sig Pro, Alpha Prime, ZMF Blackwood. I could see that Sig Pros have the best isolation/leakage/portability among them, but I'd like hear more opinions on those who have listened more than one of them and share some opinion/impression in terms of sound, isolation/leakage.

If Alpha Prime or ZMF Blackwood is not significantly better than Sig Pro in terms of sound, I might go with Sig Pro. For the sound part, I'd like to hear the comparison in sound stage, resolution, detail retrieval, or anything you'd like to share.

I may want too much, thanks for your patience reading my posts:)

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #2,210 of 2,431
Thank you Levaix. After seeing your reply, I read the reviews of ZMF Blackwood on this site and it seems its sound is more like what I might love. Someone even thinks it's on pair with th900 and beats Lcd-xc, which is quite interesting. So now my options might be Sig Pro, Alpha Prime, ZMF Blackwood.
How do you find its isolation and leakage? I can imagine Sig Pro must be better in this area. I bought one pair of hd600 but just found that I couldn't use it in office because of sound leakage. So isolation/leakage is a quite important factor. I don't consider th900 seriously just due to their poor isolation/leakage performance(from what I have read so for).
Portability is another thing to consider. It's not critical but will be a big plus. I spend 2 hours on public transport everyday, and currently and currently I am happy with my fx850. My understanding is that Sig Pro is easily portable but Blackwood is almost not.
To me, sound is definitely the most important thing, then isolation/leakage/portability. I don't mind adding an amp. I will probably buy one even for Sig Pro.
So what would be your option taking sound/isolation/leakage/portability into account? I know this is a subjective thing, but I'd like to hear your opinion:)

Isolation is actually quite excellent with the Blackwood. At least as good as Sig Pros, which is saying something.

I wrote some comparisons between these two models in the review that's up here, but here's kind of the breakdown:

-SP are very detailed throughout all registers; Blackwood is slightly rolled off in the upper end but still plenty of clarity
-Blackwood has a bigger soundstage, but something about the SP sounds very cool and "holographic" thanks to S-Logic
-Both headphones are fairly "forward", but SP is more exciting while Blackwood is a better all-rounder
-Blackwood is a fairly large headphone... heavy and kind of obtrusive; I'm not actually sure whether I would take them on the train or not
-In spite of the larger size and heavier weight, the Blackwood is significantly more comfortable (with either leather band or pilot pad)
-Both headphones benefit significantly from a good amp; the SP is good without and gets better, but the Blackwood pretty much needs it
-The SP is a bit more "hi-fi" while the Blackwood is more natural

Honestly, they're both excellent choices. Probably my top two recommendations for good isolating headphones. I think if I were doing it over at this point in time I might have gone for the Blackwood, especially with the current price difference. The Ultrasones are definitely a lot better portable solution, though.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #2,211 of 2,431
Levaix, thanks for the detailed information. I really appreciate that!
It sounds like sound-wise they are almost on par with each other but ZMF Blackwood might be slightly better. If that's the case I might go with Sig Pro, which has much better portability. For the price part, I am going to buy used ones, it seems there is no big difference in terms of used ones.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #2,212 of 2,431
It doesn't just have portability, it also has durability. Seriously, Sig Pro's are built like a freaking tank. You can throw them, abuse them (please don't) and they'll still sound like they did before. I have Edition 8's, Sig Pro's and a TH900 and I would say that my Sig Pro's get the most headtime. By far. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,213 of 2,431
lethe27, thanks for your information, it's really intriguing to hear that you listen to dig pro more than th900. Actually th900s are the ones I most want to buy, but the concern is it may leak too much to use in office (from what I have read). I see many people who own both lime th900 more, and I can understand that th900 is technically superior to sig pro. Could you explain why you use sig pro more? How would you compare sig pro and th900? Is th900 really leaking as open phones? I tend to listen to a relatively high volume to be fully immersed in music.

It doesn't just have portability, it also has durability. Seriously, Sig Pro's are built like a freaking tank. You can throw them, abuse them (please don't) and they'll still sound like they did before. I have Edition 8's, Sig Pro's and a TH900 and I would say that my Sig Pro's get the most headtime. By far. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #2,215 of 2,431
Just an quick update:
I bought Sig Pro in store just 30 minutes ago.

Great sound even just out of my DX90, great build quality, really portable. Sound-wise I may prefer Alpha Prime slightly more, but not a big difference to my ear to sacrifice the portability. I also like Sig Pro's look more.

I now understand why Sig Pro get the most head time for some of you. They are really just GREAT!

Thank for all of your opinions and information.

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #2,216 of 2,431
They are phenomenal, i dont use any of my other headphones since i bought them. I listen to about 2 extra hours music a day because of them too! Enjoy Jacky!

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,217 of 2,431
TH900 is undoubtedly better, but I only get to listen to it when the stars align (no disturbance from Fiance/job/games/movies) etc. On the other hand, my Sig Pro's get headtime at work, during commutes, at coffee shops etc. If I had to only pick ONE headphone, it'd sadly have to be either Sig Pros or Edition 8. 

Edition 8s are as portable and possibly better sounding than Sig Pros, but my ears are just too big for Edition 8s earcup size and my ears start hurting after a while. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #2,218 of 2,431
Hi lethe27,
How does this improve the comfort? I am having comfort trouble with sig pro. My right ear touches the inside of the right cup, and it makes my ear hurts after listening for a while. Not sure if this could help or if there is any other solution for my issue. Seems my right ear is larger than my left one which is fine with sig pro.

For those who are having comfort issues, check out http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862522A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't fit the ultrasone signaure's exactly, but the ends of the flap fit the ends of the headband resulting in a secure, but not that great looking fit. It has increased my listening comfort by over a 100 times and I can't recommend it enough. Especially for the people who are vary of even a little bit of DIY (the Sennheiser 650 mod). 

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,220 of 2,431
Headband works fine with me. I just have issue with the right ear cup.
I bought Sig Pro for portable use, but now I still prefer my fx850 for portable use which I can simply put into my pocket with my dx90. So if there is deeper pads that could help with comfort but don't change the sound much at least not in bad way, I am willing to give them a try. Could you help to share what pads you have tried and worked?
For the Omni, yes, I am interested in them because it seems I may prefer their sound signature more, which is slightly warmer, more open and spacious. I look forward to hear your impression once you have chance to compare them. I was thinking putting up my Sig Pro for sale if I cannot solve the comfort issue. For the Omni, my main concern would be sound leakage. With Sig Pro, I can listen at whatever volume I like without bothering others.

The headband causes a hot spot for some. Not me. Although the earpads being a tad shallow and the s-logic plate/padding cutout causes my outer ear some soreness/fatigue similar to your experience. I can listen to them for about 3 hours or as long as I don't take them off; the most I can endure being upwards of 6 hours. Taking them off is when the surge of discomfort makes itself known.

As for a fix... I don't think you can do anything to alleviate that pressure sore with these due to the proprietary s-logic technology. Deeper pads may have worked otherwise. I myself have gone out of my way to order a different pair just for longer listening sessions when I don't need portability or as extreme isolation.

I did see you post in the Omni thread. I pre-ordered a pair myself hoping that they sound as enjoyable or more with the added benefit of 3 potential earpads + 2 headband options (or combine them). I won't know until next month though.

Sorry for not being able to offer much help.

IIRC from reading, the Ultrasone ED8's are supposed to be larger earpads and thus more comfortable for some users. I have no first hand experience. Maybe try looking into that/them as a potential alternative as well.

Nevermind that... found these dimensions from:
http://ultrasone-shop.com/uk/ear-pads/77-ear-pad-for-edition-8-limited-headphones.html and http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/ultrasone-replacement-ear-pads-for-signature-prodj

Sig DJ/Pro: Outer diameter: 100 mm x 90 mm
Inner diameter: 56 mm x 45 mm
ED8: Outer diameter: 93 mm x 73 mm
Inner diameter: 58 mm x 38 mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back