ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Dec 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #181 of 2,431
Yes, the earpads and headband are top quality leather.

I suspect the Signature PRO was purposefully kept as utilitarian in design as possible, and that Ultrasone is directly responding to the criticism they've faced from their Edition series. That is, people are quick to target the Editions as being about luxury image and little else. Ultrasone is oft cited as being all sparkle and no substance.

The Signature PRO isn't a cheap feeling headphone. Holding it in your hands, you can feel that it has some heft and that it's built rock-solid. Even though it lacks the metal of the Editions, it feels stronger, and it's actually a headphone I wouldn't worry about taking out and about. It's not a headphone you have to baby, and personally I really like that.

It's not like Ultrasone doesn't make a distinctive looking, nice sounding headphone already. It's called the Edition 8. The Signature PRO has a somewhat different sound, but sounds just as good---if not better---and addresses different needs.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #182 of 2,431
Ugh. Thanks for the information, MuppetFace. I'm debating between the edition 8's and these headphones. I'm new to audiophile grade sound, at least from headphones, and am looking for something that will be best suited towards the largest variety of music possible. They must be closed and isolate both in/out extremely well. Is there any difference in that aspect between the Ed 8's and these? Would you say these are better for a more narrow range of music? I believe someone has posted comments to that affect in this thread.

Keep those impressions coming. I do so love to be tortured endlessly on which headphone to spend a thousand dollars on.

:frowning2:

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #183 of 2,431

Quote:
Ugh. Thanks for the information, MuppetFace. I'm debating between the edition 8's and these headphones. I'm new to audiophile grade sound, at least from headphones, and am looking for something that will be best suited towards the largest variety of music possible. They must be closed and isolate both in/out extremely well. Is there any difference in that aspect between the Ed 8's and these? Would you say these are better for a more narrow range of music? I believe someone has posted comments to that affect in this thread.

Keep those impressions coming. I do so love to be tortured endlessly on which headphone to spend a thousand dollars on.

:frowning2:

Do you listen to a lot of pop, electronica, hip hop, dub, reggae?

Some rock works well, other rock acts sound a little strange.

If so - Signature Pro is an avenue. If not, it could end up being 
 a disappointment, but that's my two cents, Muppetface appears
 to have spent the most amount of time with them.

Might give them a quick audition again tomorrow with varied
 material myself.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #184 of 2,431
Yes, the earpads and headband are top quality leather.

I suspect the Signature PRO was purposefully kept as utilitarian in design as possible, and that Ultrasone is directly responding to the criticism they've faced from their Edition series. That is, people are quick to target the Editions as being about luxury image and little else. Ultrasone is oft cited as being all sparkle and no substance.

The Signature PRO isn't a cheap feeling headphone. Holding it in your hands, you can feel that it has some heft and that it's built rock-solid. Even though it lacks the metal of the Editions, it feels stronger, and it's actually a headphone I wouldn't worry about taking out and about. It's not a headphone you have to baby, and personally I really like that.

It's not like Ultrasone doesn't make a distinctive looking, nice sounding headphone already. It's called the Edition 8. The Signature PRO has a somewhat different sound, but sounds just as good---if not better---and addresses different needs.

How is the comfort vs the Ed. 8?

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #186 of 2,431

Quote:
How is the comfort vs the Ed. 8?

I find them more comfortable than the Edition 8 personally. The shape of the earpads on the 8s makes them feel a bit awkward on the ears for me, whereas the Signature Pro has more ovoid pads like the Edition 9. The Signature Pro also has a one-sided detachable cable, whereas the Edition 8's double sided cable with small Y split is irritating to me at times.

Quote:
So what sort of tonal balance does the Sig Pro have? Is there any point in even considering it if one has a Pro900 and E8?

I feel the tonal balance of the Signature Pro is fairly neutral for an Ultrasone. It will probably be closer to the Edition 8 than the PRO 900 in this regard. I prefer it to the Edition 8 however as it lacks its top-end glare. I've heard the PRO 900 without a Kees-type mod is quite sibilant, and I find the PRO 2900 to be pretty sibilant too. The Edition 8 is less sibilant, but it can still creep up now and then on certain recordings. The Signature Pro has no sibilance problems at all to my ears.

I'm still trying to figure out the extent of the Signature Pro's bass response. It seems fairly close to the Edition 8's at the moment. Less plentiful than the Edition 9.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #187 of 2,431
It really seems like a toss-up between the two pairs. I listen primarily to electronic(pretty much all kinds) music, but I also listen to movie soundtracks, rock, rap, jazz. Pretty much everything but country. I also do a TON of gaming, so the better performer in that regard would also carry alot of weight. Whichever headphone that handles the most things well will likely end up getting my vote, assuming they isolate sound in/out just as well, are both able to be driven with the same relative ease, etc. I'm not looking for a headphone that does a few things REALLY well, but is found extremely lacking in other areas. I personally prefer the looks of the Ed. 8's to the PRO's, but I just haven't seen enough reviews on them to get a good handle of what they're capable of.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #188 of 2,431
Personally, I find the Signature PROs sound just fine with any genre, not just a limited few. Also fine with female vocals. Not sure if Gwarmi just has different preferences, but these sound pretty neutral to me vs. Gwarmi's impressions (not hearing quite the bass emphasis), so maybe it's an issue with production variation (an earlier prototype?). I'd be curious to hear Gwarmi's impressions when he tries a second pair at a retailer.

If given the choice personally, I'd take the Signature PRO over the Edition 8. I just prefer it now because it offers the same over all balanced sound without the slightly harsher upper registers of the Edition 8.

Of course, I'm also incredibly uncomfortable giving advice to people when $1,300 to $1,500 is on the line. So if and when you do buy either pair, make sure it's from a retailer with a good return policy. Like HeadRoom or SoundEarphones.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #189 of 2,431

Quote:
Personally, I find the Signature PROs sound just fine with any genre, not just a limited few. Also fine with female vocals. Not sure if Gwarmi just has different preferences, but these sound pretty neutral to me vs. Gwarmi's impressions (not hearing quite the bass emphasis), so maybe it's an issue with production variation (an earlier prototype?). I'd be curious to hear Gwarmi's impressions when he tries a second pair at a retailer.

If given the choice personally, I'd take the Signature PRO over the Edition 8. I just prefer it now because it offers the same over all balanced sound without the slightly harsher upper registers of the Edition 8.

Of course, I'm also incredibly uncomfortable giving advice to people when $1,300 to $1,500 is on the line. So if and when you do buy either pair, make sure it's from a retailer with a good return policy. Like HeadRoom or SoundEarphones.

Just spent a bit of time with them today ~ and I have to say, they have grown on me. Everything from Nino Rota's 'Godfather Waltz'
 to Johnny Hates Jazz 'Shattered Dreams' came across quite convicingly without too much coloration, but then I threw in some
 Stones with 'Start me up' and Jagger sounds distant and even a little white washed by Keith and Ronnie's strumming.

Hmmm, I do like them but going through a track selection shuffle there always appears to be a landmine
frown.gif

Having said that, in a two horse race - I agree, I'd pick these over the Edition 8's. Just not sure if i could live
 with them for every genre but then I say that about every 'phone!

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #190 of 2,431

Bit more of a snippet regarding impressions for female vocals.

Overall these do not fare too bad with one of my reference female vocals - none other
 than :-

The contender up against the Signature Pro was none other
 than the Shure 940. Both were run from a humble iShuffle
 with no further amplification to see how idevice friendly
 the results would be.

The clear difference lay in my previous comments regarding bass
 emphasis which is a little more pronounced on the Signature Pro
 with 'Crazy's' beatline, this beat was not at the fore on the SRH940
 - highs were more extended yet occasionally a little sibilant throughout
 the track on the SRH940 - The Signature Pro never becoming harsh
 suggesting a softer treble overall.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #192 of 2,431

Quote:
Can you tell me about Pro2900 Vs Signature Pro?

Thank you Very much!!!

Keep in mind my impressions of the PRO 2900 don't seem to mirror a lot of peoples' who praise them. To my ears, they're sibilant and very artificial sounding. The Signature PRO is a huge improvement for me. The bass is more controlled, well articulated, and more textured but still has enough presence to have nice impact. I'd rank them with the Edition 8 in terms of bass presence. The PRO 2900 has more bass. Mids are definitely better on the Signature PRO and sound more life-like. They're neither distant nor particularly forward and aggressive. Separation of instruments is clearer on the Signature PRO and in comparison the PRO 2900 sounds a bit muddled. The highs are superior on the Signature PRO as well and lack the harshness the PRO 2900 can exhibit on many recordings. No glare, no sibilance.

Overall, to my ears at least, it's no contest. The Signature PRO is the superior headphone. Keep in mind it's also more than double the price.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #193 of 2,431
I bought the Ultrasones when they just came out (some time ago).  Had great hopes but got rid of them pretty quickly...hated their sound!   I have a few others since I own & operate a recording studio.....my favorites right now are the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros......quite good.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #194 of 2,431
You bought the signature PROs when they first came out? Or some other model of Ultrasone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back