Ultrasone HFI-780 VS Beyerdynamic DT 770 (DT 880 VS DT 990)
Jun 14, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #16 of 23
Thanks for your replies!

The other problem is that i live in france and even tho it is a german made headphone, the price on amazon.fr (or .de for that matter) is outrageous compared to the price you get on the amazon.com(USA) + The price they charge for shipping is more then the amazon.fr offer.

Any good Worldwide distributer at the 165$ offer from amazon.com?

Thanks a lot

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #17 of 23
Hello Head-fi,

First of all i have to appologize for making a recommendation thread, I Promess to contribute when i receive my headphone by making a review and other contribution will follow when i get ideas.

I will first state that i am exited to leap into the higher end audio but i dont know much about it, this is why i came here.

I was told that for Bass Head like myself, Ultrasone HFI-780 would be great for my needs but i hear lots of controversies about them as well. (i hear that most of the shiny silver parts are actually plastic?)

Beyerdynamic DT 770 would seem to be a "Safer" choice just like the popular M-50.

I am looking for something semi portable for 150-200 Dollard and willl be building a CMoy amp.

Please feel free to recommand something completely different.

I hope you people can help me out and i will not forget to contibute

Hello fellow basshead! I own all the "basshead" headphones and honestly if you told me to chose one pair i would tell you to get off my property. Each one seems to have a mind of it's own and brings a certain something to the music. The beyers are by far the most comfortable headphones I own and fit nicely on my head, the m50 was the cheapest, and definitely gave me the most "bang" for the buck. The bass on the ultrasones (580) is very tight, but don't buy into any of their gimmicky crap. Someone above recommended the srh 440 and 840 models, although I'm not sure why these phones don't really have that much bass at all. If you want bass from a pair of shures grab the SRH750DJ. The v-moda crossfade lp's are the most impressive to non audiophiles, or people with an untrained ear but i only bought them because they were 90 bucks on newegg.

If i absolutely had to choose between them it would have to be the m50 or the dt770 pro with the dt990 in a close second and only because I have a huge bias towards closed headphones. The ultrasones really shine when you have an extremely fast beat and they are amazing headphones, I would just rather have the m50s for much less money.

I hope this helps!!

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Head-fi,

First of all i have to appologize for making a recommendation thread, I Promess to contribute when i receive my headphone by making a review and other contribution will follow when i get ideas.

I will first state that i am exited to leap into the higher end audio but i dont know much about it, this is why i came here.

I was told that for Bass Head like myself, Ultrasone HFI-780 would be great for my needs but i hear lots of controversies about them as well. (i hear that most of the shiny silver parts are actually plastic?)

Beyerdynamic DT 770 would seem to be a "Safer" choice just like the popular M-50.

I am looking for something semi portable for 150-200 Dollard and willl be building a CMoy amp.

Please feel free to recommand something completely different.

I hope you people can help me out and i will not forget to contibute

Hello fellow basshead! I own all the "basshead" headphones and honestly if you told me to chose one pair i would tell you to get off my property. Each one seems to have a mind of it's own and brings a certain something to the music. The beyers are by far the most comfortable headphones I own and fit nicely on my head, the m50 was the cheapest, and definitely gave me the most "bang" for the buck. The bass on the ultrasones (580) is very tight, but don't buy into any of their gimmicky crap. Someone above recommended the srh 440 and 840 models, although I'm not sure why these phones don't really have that much bass at all. If you want bass from a pair of shures grab the SRH750DJ. The v-moda crossfade lp's are the most impressive to non audiophiles, or people with an untrained ear but i only bought them because they were 90 bucks on newegg.

If i absolutely had to choose between them it would have to be the m50 or the dt770 pro with the dt990 in a close second and only because I have a huge bias towards closed headphones. The ultrasones really shine when you have an extremely fast beat and they are amazing headphones, I would just rather have the m50s for much less money.

I hope this helps!!

The M50's bass quantity hardly qualifies as "basshead material".

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #19 of 23

I have the HFI-580 and HD-25 IIs. Used to own the 780s and m50s as well but have sold them. I actually prefer the HD-25's for bass heavy music over the 580s. Like the 780, the 580, to me, has bright treble that prevents you from "rocking out" at higher volumes, should you get to that awesome song. Using the 580s with everything from pro audio amps to the Lyre to just plain unamped, I really did not notice any substantial quality increase with the 580s. The HD-25s however sounded better and better as I climbed the amp ladder. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 23
The Fact is that the design of both pair of headphone are what appealed to me the most. i picked couple pair of recommended headphones checked the price and design and made my choice.

Anything on those: (v-moda crossfade lp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back