Ultrasone Edition 9 Owners' Amp Registry
Jun 9, 2007 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 174

slwiser

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to compile a list of the amps people are using with the Edition 9. This posting has liberally borrowed from the ATH-W5000 thread that has provided a source of good information that the W5000.

If you use multiple amps, please limit your post to the best one, or the top two if you feel they are at comparable level. I hope this will give everyone a better idea of the types of pairings that are preferred. Additionally, those posting responses in this thread are also requested to provide some simple impressions of why the amp they are using is satisfying you.

This thread will hopefully provide some answers to those wondering about what amps may work with these headphones. Once you pin-point a amp of interest for these headphones just do a search on the thread search function to see which post are associated with you amp of interest.

If possible, please also list the primary source used.

1. SPL Phonitor | Yamamoto HA-02 + Lavry DA10 (this is what I am using)
2. MAD Ear+ Purist HD with tube preferences + source.

Ultrasone Edition 9 Owners' Amp Registry
  1. Yamamoto HA-02: slwiser, Dartagnan
  2. SPL Phonitor: slwiser, Sceptre
  3. Woo Audio 6 (all versions): fkclo, Jamato8, HeadphoneAddict, charlie1, milezone, wfranklin, cAsEsEnSiTiVe, jamato8
  4. Rudistor RPX-33 (all versions): ghiberti, Sovkiller, shiosai, stevenkelby (sold UE9s), thread, themick, jetstream, hawat, pfillion
  5. SinglePower Extreme (all versions): ldj325, bdh, toonie, jetstream
  6. SinglePower MPX3 all versions; akabeth
  7. Meier Corda Opera: mdarnton, itsborken, arnaud, aRRR
  8. Rudistor RPX-100: fkclo, ldj325, drp (sold)
  9. Rudistor RP010B MkII; osgroth (ordered)
  10. Rudistor RP7b: Zuerst
  11. Rudistor NX-33: ldj325 (sold)
  12. Rudistor NKK-01; Toonie
  13. Rudistor NX-02; thathertz
  14. Rudistor MXM-03; tot
  15. RSA B-52: Quint, Torske, 4N6; dmk005, BigEat
  16. RSA Mustang P-51; pfilliion
  17. RSA Apache; Lee Brindley (coming)
  18. RSA Raptor: analog'd, MaloS, Darkkopi
  19. RSA HR-2: analog'd
  20. RSA Hornet: bdh
  21. RSA Tomahawk; dmk005, Toonie
  22. RSA Predator; pfillion, Darkkopi
  23. Rockhopper Audio balanced Beta22; cAsEsEnSiTiVe
  24. Naaman balanced Beta22; cAsEsEnSiTiVe
  25. Little Dot MKV; pfillion
  26. Beta22 (all models): steaxauce, GRUN
  27. Cary Audio SLI-80 F1: 4N6
  28. Perreaux SXH1: orkney
  29. MAD Ear HD-200: orkney, wfranklin
  30. CEC HD53R: Assorted (sold E9)
  31. Audio Technica AT-HA5000: slwiser
  32. Lisa III XP: lexnasa
  33. Headroom Desktop (all versions):Hardwired. steaxauce
  34. Headroom Home (all versions): Dan Milheim, tot(max)
  35. Headroom Micro (all versions): tot (Ultra)
  36. Headamp GS-1; Toonie
  37. Headamp Pico;
  38. DarkVoice 336i; HeadphoneAddict
  39. PS Audio GCHA: shiosai
  40. Heed Audio CanAmp: Dexdexter
  41. Zana Duex: bosebuttons
  42. Woo Audio 5: tyrion
  43. Meier Arie: hoosterw
  44. Meier Move: mdarnton
  45. Meier Opera: aRRR, Lad27
  46. Meier HeadFive; jetstream
  47. Littte Dot II+: jetstream
  48. Earmax AE: ghiberti
  49. Naim CD5i: VaughnH
  50. ASL Twin-Head: Piotr Ryka
  51. Graham Slee Solo: thathertz
  52. Darkvoice 336i:arielext
  53. Larocco PRII: lexnasa, hoosterw
  54. Xin SuperMicro V3: bdh
  55. Xin Supermacro (all versions); jetstream
  56. Headamp Pico:
  57. Headamp GS-1; Toonie
  58. Headroom Microamp: Hardwired
  59. Qables iQube: wfranklin, kidult
  60. K.I.C.A.S. (non-caliente);Heatfan12
  61. Graham Slee Solo; Sceptre
  62. ALO Amphora; HeadphoneAddict
Last Post updated is 168

Here is a link to a neat mini-meet in Singapore: Mini Meet Impressions - SGHeadphones
where several of the amps below were used with the Ultrasone Edition 9 headphone.

1. Yamamoto HA-02
2. MAD Ear+ HD
3. MAD Ear+ HD2
4. PS Audio GCHA
5. Rudistor RPX-33

Here is another link comparing two amps and the UE9 was in the mix some; Yamamoto HA-02 and Zana Duex. EddieCurrent Zana Duex - impressions - SGHeadphones

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 174
Not an E9 owner anymore, but while I had them, I think the Rudistor RP7b was a very good match while using the Stello DA100 as the source. Great bass and the highs were never really sibilant.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 174
I do hope this gets some answers. I've got the phones, and now I'm looking for the right amp to go with is, so all ideas are REALLY appreciated.

That said, so far the answer to the question for me is iPod>ALO silver>Govibe V5> and Thinkpad or DVD player>Govibe (yes, I know this is all wrong, but I'm working on it). Since I'd like to be able to choose to go from Thinkpad USB or iPod line out or DVD digital out and I have a bit of hearing loss on my left ear, the only thing I can see so far that will take all those sources AND allows me to adjust the L/R balance is the Grace M902, so that's first in line unless someone in this thread comes up with something better.

That choice is more a matter of function than sound, of course. I'd be willing to take some detours if some reasonable alternative showed up that maximized the audio issues and met my other needs.

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 174
I can report that my Heed Audio CanAmp works splendidly well with the Edition 9s, demonstrating genuine authority and control with plenty of power to spare.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can report that my Heed Audio CanAmp works splendidly well with the Edition 9s, demonstrating genuine authority and control with plenty of power to spare.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope to take my HA5000 to a meet next month and compare this with several other amps. I hope this will prove useful since meet conditions rarely are best for these comparisons. But quick deltas can be revealing as first impressions I hope.

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 174
I am crrently using the Zana Duex with excellant results with My ED9s,I have to give some of my other amps a try.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 174
(I'm just noting the things that seem to be especially noticable as due to the amp. All the other great qualities of the Edition 9s still apply, clarity, detail, great highs, smooth, great PRAT, etc.)

Single-ended: The Extreme Platinum is killer. The Extreme is noted for its bass, combine this with the bass of the Edtion 9 and something really special happens. It's not that the combination gets over bassy. It's more that there is the visceral bass impact similar to speakers, except the visceral bass punch is in the head (but not unpleasant) instead of the chest as with speakers. Also a very large soundstage.

Balanced (my Edition 9s go both ways): RudiStor NX-33 balanced. I love the balanced mode with Edition 9s. The fullness of the sound takes the killer Edition 9 bass and extends it into the chest as well as giving it even more texture. Less intense "kick in the head" bass punch of the Extreme, but with the larger soundstage of the balance version it somehow extends that bass into the upper chest--at least that's how it feels to me.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 174
Of the ones I have tried and heard, nothing beats till now my RPX-33 "Alberto Edition" specially tuned for them by Rudi...Nothing special inside, just tuned a little bit more specially for them...

I think that ED9 likes SS better than tubes, specially high current amps, preferible all discrete, that will give it the cleaner sound and the current they need to shine. I have done extensive comparisons with my maxed out PPA, and other IC based amps, and still I preffer the sound of the all discrete amps with it, instead of IC + buffers...The sound is like less congested, and the soundstage opens considerably...

As I'm not a tube lover, I preffer not to begin this debate now again, but I ahve ehard that the Zana Deux, using those insane Russian military 6C33C-B, seems to pair with it very well too...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 174
My ED9 works very well - actually great - with my Woo Audio 6 with Philips GZ34 metal base. Actually it sounds quite like the L3000 except that it is more "balanced" and the way it conveys the spatial dimensions of the music is different. When I say balanced I mean the Edition 9 does not emphasis a particular frequency range, and therefore producing a well proportioned music. Resolution is there, but never analytical with the WA6.

And it works great with my trusted PRII too. (AD744 modd).

When my RPX-100 arrives, will report how it sounds.

F. Lo

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 174
Though there is undoubtedly a special synergy with Rudistor amps, my '9s get along very well with my RSA B-52.
eggosmile.gif
The bass outta this combo is pretty incredible.

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 174
RPX-33 MKII and Earmax AE.

they're both pretty damn good with E 9.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow!! congrats man.

do not forget to take some sexy pics and post here
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

F. Lo

I am awaiting delivery of my RPX-100 although I do not own E9s I will compare notes with you using my senn HD600s I am considering buying the Editions but have not found a UK source.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #15 of 174
Also loving the RPX-33 Mk II for the Edition 9. Simply stated, best overall rig I've owned and up there with some the best I've heard.

Rig: Resolution Audio Opus 21 - RPX-33 - Edition 9

I am also moving up to the RPX-100 (s/b here in ~1 week), for the option to balance, as well as the additional preamp capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back