Ultrasone Edition 9 Owners' Amp Registry
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #31 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or with a high current Class A, dualmono solid state amp...
evil_smiley.gif
....IMO the E9 pais far better wit hSS amps, it needs high current, and the clean and clear sound that only a good SS amps can offer it...But do not trust me just try it yourself...

Great! Just send me the amp, and I'll try it out!

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! Just send me the amp, and I'll try it out!

My Paypal account is hungry...baby...!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #33 of 174
Only in researching these Rudistor amps have I come to discover this "dual mono" design of amp. While I've been able to understand that it means that we essentially have two discrete amps in the single enclosure, I'm still wondering what that means for the Edition 9's.

Do they need recabling to work with these amps? I thought I just wanted to stick with the stock cable...

I'm not sure I want to spend another $1000 on the amp, either...

The PS Audio GCHA looks appealing. How does the DAC compare to the Stello DA100? It might surprise me to hear that it could be a very capable amp+dac solution for the Editions.

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #34 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only in researching these Rudistor amps have I come to discover this "dual mono" design of amp. While I've been able to understand that it means that we essentially have two discrete amps in the single enclosure, I'm still wondering what that means for the Edition 9's.

Do they need recabling to work with these amps? I thought I just wanted to stick with the stock cable...

I'm not sure I want to spend another $1000 on the amp, either...

The PS Audio GCHA looks appealing. How does the DAC compare to the Stello DA100? It might surprise me to hear that it could be a very capable amp+dac solution for the Editions.

The dualmono design is not new in the market...it is basically like having two monoblocks, with two PSUs, all seprate inside the same case....You can still use the stock cable...though tne ideal solution would be to separate both completelly...

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #35 of 174
Quote:

The dualmono design is not new in the market...it is basically like having two monoblocks, with two PSUs, all seprate inside the same case....You can still use the stock cable...though tne ideal solution would be to separate both completelly...

Separate what? Am I to believe from what you're saying that I could stick the stock 1/4" E9 termination into the "left" channel of a dual mono amp?

...and that ideally, you'd reterminate the E9's cable to two, 1/4" mono connectors?

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #36 of 174
No. Dual-mono design implies separating the amplification and power supply stages into 2 identical amplifiers, which can be even housed within the same chassis. Best example to look at is Darkvoice 337, using even 2 power cables. Separating the output jack is absolutely unnecessary, and hence the recable is not necessary either, but there probably can be some benefits from using dual-1/4 inch termination on the headphone (which is one step away from going balanced so might as well just go all the way at that point).

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. Dual-mono design implies separating the amplification and power supply stages into 2 identical amplifiers, which can be even housed within the same chassis. Best example to look at is Darkvoice 337, using even 2 power cables. Separating the output jack is absolutely unnecessary, and hence the recable is not necessary either, but there probably can be some benefits from using dual-1/4 inch termination on the headphone (which is one step away from going balanced so might as well just go all the way at that point).

Right but that does not mean that they require two separate transformers just proper wiring leads of one transformer will do the trick and can be in the same chassis. If you have the right power transformer.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #38 of 174
Sorry, but it's still not quite clear. There are two mono 1/4" jacks... so you plug the stereo 1/4" the headphones are terminated with into the left jack?

Or am I still missing something...

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #39 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but it's still not quite clear. There are two mono 1/4" jacks... so you plug the stereo 1/4" the headphones are terminated with into the left jack?

Or am I still missing something...

Where did you get the idea that those are two mono 1/4" jacks? Those are two stereo jacks. For two different headphones, one for low sensitivity (high gain, marked as H) and another for high sensitivity headphones (low gain, marked as L)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right but that does not mean that they require two separate transformers just proper wiring leads of one transformer will do the trick and can be in the same chassis. If you have the right power transformer.

Real dual mono, if you are going to be exquisite wit the implementation should have separate power supplies for both channels from the transformer on...

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #40 of 174
Quote:

Where did you get the idea that those two mono 1/4" jacks? Those are two stereo jacks. For two different headphones, one for low sensitivity (high gain, marked as H) and another for high sensitivity headphones (low gain, marked as L)...

Ah! Perfect. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #41 of 174
Quote:

Real dual mono, if you are going to be exquisite wit the implementation should have separate power supplies for both channels from the transformer on...

Sov,of course the most perfect dual mono is with two transformers and you can make each of them in a different case if you wanted and each power train in its own case as well for an extreme version, but the design for dual mono does not actually require it as shown here:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_pho5.html?200710

and here as examples:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...gc.html?200710

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #42 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sov,of course the most perfect dual mono is with two transformers and you can make each of them in a different case if you wanted and each power train in its own case as well for an extreme version, but the design for dual mono does not actually require it as shown here:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_pho5.html?200710

and here as examples:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...gc.html?200710

You can use one transformer, and even use one single PSU for both, there is no problems with that, but make sure that the PSU is very well implemented...

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #43 of 174
Quote:

You can use one transformer, and even use one single PSU for both, there is no problems with that, but make sure that the PSU is very well implemented...

This is an absolute necessity with a single transformer.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #45 of 174
/me chimes in on his first day as an Edition 9 owner.

I'm using the Hornet w/ my MicroDAC for now. I'm pretty pleased with the performance... but that's just how this hobby goes, I guess. (Ignorance is bliss.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back