Ultrasone Edition 9 Owners' Amp Registry
Jun 12, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 174
I Am using my ED9s to listen to either a Naim CD5i or a redwine modded iPod through a Single Power MPX Slam SE. With this amp my tube choice has changed considerably compared to those used for my Senn 650s, and the ED9s are spectacular with the Naim CDP. The iPod overall is very nice, but sounds muffled compared to the Naim with the ED9s.

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #17 of 174
My friend from Warsaw (I am from Cracow), my E9 and my other toys

forum_wpisy.html

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #18 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend from Warsaw (I am from Cracow), my E9 and my other toys

forum_wpisy.html

I don’t see any picture, so I write: ASL Twin-Head amplifier and Cairn Soft V2 CD.

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #19 of 174
There has been quite a few UE9s purchase recently it appears.

The last two days the UE9 has been my portable at work via my iMod 5.5g with Super Cotton Dock powered by my amp from Headamp the AE-1. I have to say that the UE9 in combination with the iMod makes this a fine portable setup.

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #20 of 174
saint sovkilla of sonia, you know i love you for spreading the good word on the edition 9's, but i gotta say man, you start more debates about things you dont want to debate about than anybody i ever heard of!
blink.gif
grados and vinyl and tubes...can't wait to see what you don't like next...
wink.gif

but anyhow, regarding the solid better than tube for ed9 thang, my findings are completely different. my ed 9's love my tube amp, especially with ole telefunkins driving them. every bit as solid in every way as my ss amp. then again i am using rsa amps, and rays tube gear is well known for having all the prat, punch and control of the best solid states, just as his ss gear is known for somehow delivering a bit of the warmth of tube gear.

my rigs, which will not appeal to sovkiller but sound pretty decent nonetheless :
evil_smiley.gif

home -
naim cd5 w/ flatcap, and vpi aries w/benz micro ruby 2 h and pass labs aleph ono phonostage > harmonic technology silway II interconnects > marantz model 7 preamp (passive for the naim) > harmonic technology magic link 2 ic to RSA RAPTOR > ed 9
(and grado ps1)

work -

cayin cdt 17a tube output cd player > anti-ic > RSA HR-2 > ed 9 (and shure e500)

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #21 of 174
Nice of you to make this thread. Interesting read for anyone wanting to buy an ed9 and looking for a suitable amp. Though all these different thingys...there is just so much....

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #22 of 174
I just got a notice that my Extreme shipped. Woo-hoo! However, up till now, I had a choice between my RSA Hornet and the Xin SM-III. I definately prefer the Xin with the Ed. 9.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #23 of 174
Using the Ray Samuels B-52 with terrific results. I also have used the Cary Audio SLI-80 F1 to very good effect (a little more "tubey" sounding, but great nonetheless).

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 174
So how good is the Hornet with the UE9s? Worth an upgrade, or will it still be impressive?

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 174
ED9 works great on the RPX-33 MKII and PS Audio GCHA, on the latter when I plugged in Gregg Straley's power cord, it is fabulous: very enjoyable, musical, open, dimensional with details, transparent with a touch of cream... (other power cords on GCHA made the ED9 sounded dry)

Will report back when my Yamamoto HA-02 arrived...
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #26 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ED9 works great on the RPX-33 MKII and PS Audio GCHA, on the latter when I plugged in Gregg Straley's power cord, it is fabulous: very enjoyable, musical, open, dimensional with details, transparent with a touch of cream... (other power cords on GCHA made the ED9 sounded dry)

Will report back when my Yamamoto HA-02 arrived...
biggrin.gif

Yamamoto...YES...one I have been waiting to here from...

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #28 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice of you to make this thread. Interesting read for anyone wanting to buy an ed9 and looking for a suitable amp. Though all these different thingys...there is just so much....

I think we can just all learn that you can grab the amp that fits you best price/look-wise and be set =]

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #29 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how good is the Hornet with the UE9s? Worth an upgrade, or will it still be impressive?

It's still impressive of course, but not nearly as impressive as with the SP Extreme or MPX3. The sound and soundstage is so much bigger, natural, and exciting with the SinglePowers (with the right tubes of course).

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #30 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still impressive of course, but not nearly as impressive as with the SP Extreme or MPX3. The sound and soundstage is so much bigger, natural, and exciting with the SinglePowers (with the right tubes of course).

Or with a high current Class A, dualmono solid state amp...
evil_smiley.gif
....IMO the E9 pais far better wit hSS amps, it needs high current, and the clean and clear sound that only a good SS amps can offer it...But do not trust me just try it yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back