Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,861 of 2,099
These are fake for sure. The Edition phones are handmade in Germany, so why should you get such quantities from China?  And why should these cans be waterproofed and noise cancelling?????

deadhorse.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,864 of 2,099
~~If anyone is interested I am selling my Ultrasone edition 8 Ruthenium in For Sale/ Trade forum Serial # 2941
PM if inerested

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #1,865 of 2,099
I wouldn't trust purchasing those ED8s from Alibaba. I am in general skeptical of any high end item coming from there given the proliferation of knockoffs or of "out the back door' supply chain problems.

As for the ED8s themselves. They have a unique sound, one that does a good job between isolation and sound quality. Funny thing is I am not as critical a headphone listener as I am a full stereo listener so some people may and do have more pointed opinions on this subject.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,866 of 2,099
  There seems to be a trend in the headphone discussions that what some people see as detail and layering others see as harsh treble.  I guess it depends where you are coming from or what your looking for.  For me some headphones feel muddled and ultra warm and bassy and i feel like it is covering up their shortcoming in detail.  Others consider that an attribute maybe because they may consider themselves bassheads or can not tolerate the info coming in.  I don't consider the treble on the Ed8  anywhere near my other HP's like the HD800 or the W3000anv. In fact i considered them very forgiving and actually even warm when i first bought them.  They do have incredible detail for a closed phone and where considered the top closed headphone by many for a couple of years even though they were but a portable. 

Of course, I have always considered myself susceptible to ear fatigue though and have tailored my source to limit those issues so maybe that helps tone down the upper ends and others may not have approached their sources in the same manner.

Actually, an less than 500 hour ED8 sounds very hot in treble. I have all the hot cans, HD800, T1, Sony EX700, WA5000. By far, ED8 gives me the most sibilance. For the first 100 hours, I almost through it away due to the harshness.  I think It is still very hot in treble now, but it is something I can handle.

I think the sound is highly depended on what music you  are hearing and what quality they are recorded. I never have any problems with classic and jazz on my HD800 and T1 because they are coming either from SACD or 24/192 FLACs. However, when I listen so pops and some mp3s, it is just hurting my ears with even normal volume. The same goes to ED8, I found they to be detailed with bit boots on mid bass, but never harsh, until I put some pop in it..............

I guess if you want hifi, the best thing to do is to get hifi-standarded recordings, otherwise, all the good phones will give you the flaws in the recordings and made them sounds like crap. If you are bass head and do not want those mid details (I  personally cannot get use to phones like the M100 from Vmoda because the mid information is just not there, and I think mid will be the most important range of the music since human ear itself have amplification on mids) , you might as well get the much cheaper momentum and V100, and even cheaper ATH M50. Those are just "better" phones for general musics.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,867 of 2,099
Just gonna chime in with my 2 cents here, regarding Ultrasone’s truly AWFUL AWFUL customer support.

I’ve had an Edition 8 (limited) for a little less than two years, and ever since arrival, it’s had a few issues with the left ear cup (I think, it’s been a while), dropping sound out every now and then as I move the left side cable around. I think the cheap cable/connector that Ultrasone attaches onto the Edition 8s were at fault. Ultrasone repairs told me to expect about a month at most, and told me to ship it over.

I sent my headphones in about the beginning of October, and I left Ultrasone alone for a whole month. During that month, I got radio silence. No diagnostic reports, emails confirming that my headphones had arrived (I knew they had gone there safely from shipping tracking), nothing.

I was very disappointed, considering I had purchased a luxury product, and expected customer service commensurate of the Edition 8’s $1K+ price-tag.

So this past week and a half, I’ve pestered Ultrasone incessantly, and so far the only information I’ve got out of them is that that it’s in the backlog for repairs. A technician was supposed to have seen my headphones yesterday, and Ultrasone stated that a diagnostics report (several weeks late) would be sent ASAP. I’m still waiting.

Not only this, but to receive one email from Ultrasone, I’ve had to send three, if not four, to their system. I’ve repeatedly asked for phone contact information, yet the people responding (if you could call what they do “responding" - they only reconfirm that they have my headphones……..) consistently ignore my requests. 

Ultrasone, I don’t care about your manufacturing flaws - I’ve been a happy camper despite the scratches on the “new” unit that I received AND the ugly scuff marks all over the Limited Edition hard case. I don’t care that the Edition 8 is grossly overpriced - I like the sound of the Edition 8 phones, and think that they’re greatest portable phones still. I don’t care if I have to wait a month to re-wire get Ultrasone to re-wire my left earpiece (something I could’ve technically DIY-ed for less than 20 bucks and for only 30 mins of my time).

But considering the service and treatment I’ve gotten, I can confidently say that this is THE WORST EXPERIENCE I have ever had with Customer Reps, EVER. 

EVEN WORSE than the sort of treatment I got after I complained to a low-rated seller about the quality of some cheap audio extension cable I got off of eBay.

Ultrasone, I hope you’re listening (I don’t think you even care about us head-fi’ers) and make this right, but at this point, I just want my phones back. I’ll send them off to ALO or Moon Audio to get them recabled where they won’t take A NEAR ******* TWO MONTHS to repair my product.

If anyone in this forum knows anyone at Ultrasone and could send my displeasure along to them, it would be very much appreciated.

For anyone that is considering buying new Edition 8s (like the Romeos and such), I would advise that you STAY AWAY from this product line as long as their longstanding customer service issues continue (this is not my first negative experience w/ Ultrasone). The good sound is not worth how much the customer service department SCREWS with your temper and headphones.

I'll update this thread if anything new happens. (not too hopeful)

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,868 of 2,099
I hope pressure in this very public forum helps you. Some mfr are very good at addressing these kinds of threads. I know I'll be watching.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,869 of 2,099
My dealings with Ultrasone Germany and US--to get an extended warranty and to get replacement earpads--were very pleasant.  They were responsive and friendly.  But then again, I never had to send my headphones back to them, and when I was dealing with them Randy was still there.  

Sad to hear that their service seems to have dipped, I hope they get your headphones back soon.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,870 of 2,099
Well, good luck~~~
For these kind of phones, I was expecting excellent service~~~
I use to have problem with my T1, and it took about 1 week to get them back, and they fix it within 1 day, most of the time in the week is just shipping~~~

P.S.
I do not expect the limited edition is build for portable~~~~ They are just way too expensive and woody to bring out. I think the normal edition 8 has better portability~~~

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,871 of 2,099
Just gonna chime in with my 2 cents here, regarding Ultrasone’s truly AWFUL AWFUL customer support.

I’ve had an Edition 8 (limited) for a little less than two years, and ever since arrival, it’s had a few issues with the left ear cup (I think, it’s been a while), dropping sound out every now and then as I move the left side cable around. I think the cheap cable/connector that Ultrasone attaches onto the Edition 8s were at fault. Ultrasone repairs told me to expect about a month at most, and told me to ship it over.

I sent my headphones in about the beginning of October, and I left Ultrasone alone for a whole month. During that month, I got radio silence. No diagnostic reports, emails confirming that my headphones had arrived (I knew they had gone there safely from shipping tracking), nothing.

I was very disappointed, considering I had purchased a luxury product, and expected customer service commensurate of the Edition 8’s $1K+ price-tag.

So this past week and a half, I’ve pestered Ultrasone incessantly, and so far the only information I’ve got out of them is that that it’s in the backlog for repairs. A technician was supposed to have seen my headphones yesterday, and Ultrasone stated that a diagnostics report (several weeks late) would be sent ASAP. I’m still waiting.

Not only this, but to receive one email from Ultrasone, I’ve had to send three, if not four, to their system. I’ve repeatedly asked for phone contact information, yet the people responding (if you could call what they do “responding" - they only reconfirm that they have my headphones……..) consistently ignore my requests. 

Ultrasone, I don’t care about your manufacturing flaws - I’ve been a happy camper despite the scratches on the “new” unit that I received AND the ugly scuff marks all over the Limited Edition hard case. I don’t care that the Edition 8 is grossly overpriced - I like the sound of the Edition 8 phones, and think that they’re greatest portable phones still. I don’t care if I have to wait a month to re-wire get Ultrasone to re-wire my left earpiece (something I could’ve technically DIY-ed for less than 20 bucks and for only 30 mins of my time).

But considering the service and treatment I’ve gotten, I can confidently say that this is THE WORST EXPERIENCE I have ever had with Customer Reps, EVER. 

EVEN WORSE than the sort of treatment I got after I complained to a low-rated seller about the quality of some cheap audio extension cable I got off of eBay.

Ultrasone, I hope you’re listening (I don’t think you even care about us head-fi’ers) and make this right, but at this point, I just want my phones back. I’ll send them off to ALO or Moon Audio to get them recabled where they won’t take A NEAR ******* TWO MONTHS to repair my product.

If anyone in this forum knows anyone at Ultrasone and could send my displeasure along to them, it would be very much appreciated.

For anyone that is considering buying new Edition 8s (like the Romeos and such), I would advise that you STAY AWAY from this product line as long as their longstanding customer service issues continue (this is not my first negative experience w/ Ultrasone). The good sound is not worth how much the customer service department SCREWS with your temper and headphones.

I'll update this thread if anything new happens. (not too hopeful)

I had to deal with them recently too. I'll have to go back to my email box to verify the events and timing but I certainly recall that the service did not meet my expectations... and I don't think I have very high expectations at all.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,872 of 2,099
  Well, good luck~~~
For these kind of phones, I was expecting excellent service~~~
I use to have problem with my T1, and it took about 1 week to get them back, and they fix it within 1 day, most of the time in the week is just shipping~~~

P.S.
I do not expect the limited edition is build for portable~~~~ They are just way too expensive and woody to bring out. I think the normal edition 8 has better portability~~~

I have used my Limited portable ever since they were released with no problem.  The little wood inlay is covered with thickish lacquer.  I would say that between the sound and the ease of use, i.e. being able to lay down with these on, and being portable and use in home, these are my most used headphones.  May be the best value of any of my audio purchases due to the sheer amount of use it gets, and i have gone through a lot of audio purchases over the last five or six years.  I agree that the price is insane but if something is so well suited to so many different uses it ends up being worth it over time.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #1,873 of 2,099
I remember over a year ago having to send in my Pro 900s because of the sound degrading. They replaced both drivers and get this my Pro 900 warranty had already expired but did not have to pay anything except for shipping. My experience with Ultrasone customer service has been pleasant but will let you know they are not always answering the phone. Remember calling one afternoon and could not get thru to them and had to call back the next morning.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,874 of 2,099
Hey guys I am now an owner of an ed8 and have some questions. .
When I herd them on display at store they were not sibilance just sweet with less bass than my esw11 and had a pretty soundstage. .
So now that I have a used set I bought in the "for sale forums" here,
I am noticing it does not sound the same..
I am totally caught off guard by the realistic and palpable imaging with some of the most impressive textured large realistic bass I herd on a portable.
The cans sound more clean and clear than the store model which seemed sweeter and smaller...

My model has the silver cable upgrade feom "Whiplash"..

I am now wondering how different these are from the average ed8 and how they compare to a sig DJ..
:wink:

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,875 of 2,099
I am gladI did not let my bad experience from the pro900 to turn me away from ultrasone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back