Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Aug 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #289 of 461
Yeah disappointing it isn't made of some precious element or endangered animal hide.
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #291 of 461
Gold-plated maybe? I mean my RadioShack adapter doesn't have that kinda stuff.

JB

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #292 of 461

Quote:
Just ordered a pair of these.  Wondering about its synergy with my current amp.  I have a Burson HA-160D (the DAC/Amp combo) anyone have experience with 8's and burson?

Not sure...please let us know what you think on how they pair when you get them.
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #296 of 461
We didn't call the adapter low-grade or anything. :) Plus there's not much one can do to posh-ify a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, seriously.

Oh and yen262, welcome to Head-Fi!

JB

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #300 of 461
My Rutheniums sold and, after thinking I was set on the Palladiums, I'm now (heavily) considering the Limited for a few reason.  A question for owners: does the matte Ruthenium accumulate fingerprints?  I'm sure it's better at attenuating them than the glossy standard Rutheniums, but the Palladiums were an attractive prospect to me for this reason and am unsure if the Limited would do as well in this regard.

As an aside, reasons I'm considering the Limited:

-The box beats the heck out of keeping them on a stand IMO and, since I won't ever take them around with me, I won't ever use the bag that comes with the Palladium.  I realize that black boxes have surfaced through Ultrasone, but I really dislike the red stitching that they used on it.

-The wood inlay.  I adore the aesthetics of a nice wood-cupped headphone and, although this isn't the same thing, at least I get a taste of that along with my preferred SQ.  I also think the ceramic inlay on the Palladium is the only thing that looks cheap on that particular model. (too much like glossy plastic)

-I prefer darker materials.  I like the brushed look of the Palladium, but have always preferred darker metals and woods to lighter ones.

-While pictures aren't always to be trusted, I must say that the brown leather post-Lexol conditioner looks stunning.  The muted shade definitely compliments the cups nicely and the "pop" it gives the inlay is pretty eye-catching.

In contrast, the two big reasons why I was set on the Palladium:

-The aforementioned assumption that it wouldn't be a fingerprint magnet.

-The fact that it looks like an Apple product and would therefore match my Macbook Pro and Apogee Duet 2 nicely. (with the PPAv2 being housed in two completely black cases)  While the Limited doesn't match my components as well, it certainly matches the aesthetic of my living room (where it would be kept) and that box would look mighty nice sitting on my end table.

Ultimately the decision resides with myself, but opinions are welcomed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back