Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #301 of 461
I have both the ruthies and LEs... the LEs do very much so attenuate the fingerprint issue.  I wipe mine down only once every week or two.  

And the post lexol look is something I do not wish to return from.  I'm totally in love w/ these guys.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #302 of 461
I like the Palladium as well but they were out of stock when i wanted to order and i was offered a deal to take the LE instead, which i actually liked better when i saw them in person.  I think that the photos don't do them justice.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #303 of 461
To yen262:
Yeah, if you bought from an authorized retailer/have your warranty, demand that Ultrasone deliver all parts that were due.

If the customer service from Ultrasone is saying moot, talk to Randy (Ultrasone rep. @ head-fi). It's not a big deal, although it probably is annoying.

Curly: whichever one you pick, good luck!

JB

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #304 of 461

Quote:
I like the Palladium as well but they were out of stock when i wanted to order and i was offered a deal to take the LE instead, which i actually liked better when i saw them in person.  I think that the photos don't do them justice.

But this picture I took is quite justice.

And about the fingerprint issue: If you don't touch the cups, you'll be fine. (Haven't wiped mine since july)

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #306 of 461
Thanks to everyone for weighing in on my potential purchase!  You evil, evil people.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I wish I could actually see these in person before pulling the trigger.  Pictures like Rasmutte's bring the "wow factor" that the Palladiums seemingly can't touch, but there's nothing like getting them in your hands to form a solid opinion.  The Limited certainly conveys the ultra-high end luxury factor better than the other two finishes. (with the Ruthenium not straying far behind, IMO)  However, the Palladium seems the most industrial in design... the most tool-like.  That's what headphones are to me: a means to an end.

...but that doesn't mean it can't look pretty while performing its primary function. :wink:

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #308 of 461
Quote:

cool.gif

Here are some more pictures from my album: http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/35009/user_id/162617
In different lights, yeah.

Thanks for those!

I changed my order today.  I'm not sure when they'll arrive and I'll have to wait a few extra days, but in the end the pros of the Limited Edition were worth it to me.  I did some digging around last night for a stand or case, but there just wasn't anything available in the States that piqued my interest.  Had I found something, I probably would've stuck with the Palladium and pick up something better than my DIY Rubbermaid gardening equipment hook.

...but man do I love the look of that matte ruthenium. (at least in pictures)  I was really taken aback by the standard Ruthenium Edition 8 when it arrived as it was much more classy and far less "blingy" than I anticipated.  That dark color is just superb, but the mirror finish was a turnoff.  It looks great sitting there, but after handling them for even a moment I would obsessively wipe them down with the cloth before placing them back on the stand.  They're just so perfect when they're clean that I couldn't help but keep them smudge-free all the time.  I would even periodically clean them "just because" due to possible dust accumulation from being on their stand when not in use.  With a case, I'll be obsessing less.  I tried to always handle the Rutheniums by the ear pads, but when I took them off I always found a smudge or two and had no idea how I managed to get it there.  With the matte, perhaps I'll even be able to handle them a bit more easily.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in for helping me with my decision!  I awaited the Ruthenium with cautious optimism as I wasn't able to audition them before purchase.  With the Limited, there's a tremendous amount of anticipation.
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #310 of 461
Just ordered these beauts today, and like Curly, I can't wait until they're finally here!

JB

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #311 of 461

Quote:
Just ordered these beauts today, and like Curly, I can't wait until they're finally here!

JB

Congrats!

Looks like I'll be using mine a bit more in September....my in-laws from out of town will be staying with us for a couple of weeks.
wink_face.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #313 of 461
Okay, so I got a brand new Ed8 Palladium.  My out of the box impression is disappointing :frowning2:.  It does not sound that much better than my Ultrasone Pro2500.  Guys, what is your experience, did time and/or burn-in change your impression of this headphone?  I drive it with either the HM801 w/ stock amp, or the Minibox ES so it has enough power. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #314 of 461
Quote:
Okay, so I got a brand new Ed8 Palladium.  My out of the box impression is disappointing :frowning2:.  It does not sound that much better than my Ultrasone Pro2500.  Guys, what is your experience, did time and/or burn-in change your impression of this headphone?  I drive it with either the HM801 w/ stock amp, or the Minibox ES so it has enough power. 

When I auditioned the Ed8s, I had a moment where I was like "that's it?". It turns out the positioning on this thing is very fickle, so try and mess around with it.
What exactly is disappointing you?

JB

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #315 of 461

Quote:

They do need burn in. Both my Ed. 8s did...out of the box they were too bright and the bass was flabby. After 20-30 hours they changed quite a bit....thankfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back