Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Dec 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #616 of 2,110
My waiting comes to an end. Now I know how these headphones sound like.

Today we had a chance to try these headphones,regretably my T1 is by a friend of mine, so no T1 here.

Still like I said before I and all the 3 people, who sat around trying these headphones were agreed that the ED10 are the most impressive here. (Exclude O2MKI because of lacking a proper amp,we can not judge them)
I myself own the HE6,T1,Stax O2 MKI ,which I just recieved today from yahoo japan.
I have the HE6 for 2 weeks now ,T1 for almost 2 months. I used to own the HD800 but already sold them to my friend. I have a chance to purchase the LCD2 in the pic ,because a freind of mine lent me for a week,I decided not to keep them. The ED10, PS1000, Twaged ED8,HD800 belong to business JJ  .

Short words about these phones.

LCD2: very dark ,very thick ,very strange in positive way. They just lack the openness of the HE6 and ED10.Still LCD2 are something ,you got to have if you yourself plan to own more than one headphones.

HE6 : the system ,we used to test the HE6 is not suitable for them( I didn't bring my amp with),but I've been living with them for two weeks,so I can say a little word about them. If you ask which headphones are to my ear sound like (similar to) the ED10 the most from this bunch ,I will say the HE6. They both sound open,great sometime sibilance high for some records or some set up ( like I said before the Ed10 sound really great,when pair with weiss202,that's the reason I sold my meier stage Dac and stello cdt200 to find a better source). The ED10s Bass is heavier then the HE6's Bass. I like the mid of these two ,because of it's naturalness

HD800 is somehow  different,because of their soundstage,we felt relax ,when listening to the HD800. I think I will buy the HD800 again,because for some music I like HD800 the most,esspeially when I don't want to concentrate to the music too much.

Twagged ED8 sound like the ed8 ,but the edges smooth out a bit and more listenable,that's all.

PS1000 I don't know how to say I just don't like the PS1000,They're like mixed bag of things, so no comment here.

O2MKI no proper amp here so no words to say,but this saturday I think I will have a chance to amp them properly ,I will  try to compare them with the HE6 (with proper amp too)

Finally The ED10 . Hear them with your own ears ,but please play them with a proper system and give them time to burn in, then judge them.
I hope the people ,who pay for them will like them,because of the price and a very long waiting for some. 

conclusion

The set Up here is not properly for some headphones like the HE6 and O2mkI or maybe the HD800 ,but I think it's decent enough to give us here some clues about the LCD2,ED10,recabled ED8,PS1000 and maybe HD800. We just used  Meier StageDac with Meier Concerto here.
Our Memory, though not  100% accurate, tell us ,how different the sound of ED10  when paired with Weiss202 comepared to the meier combo (By the way I used to hear them side by side).

My setup at home,which I use to evaluate the HE6,T1 and HD800 is the Following:

Wall Plug:  WattGate381 AG from main power switch
 AC :  Pangea ,IEGO power cord
Amp:  Minute Tube DIY Headphone Amp ( 12 watt per chanel for speaker driving ) with EL34 Mullard XF1 OO getters (for vocal)  and EL34 Telefunken OO
getter (for something else ) ,we've buit them because ,we felt the EF5 couldn't drive the HE5 to their best and now we use them with the HE6.

CDP:  Ayre CX 7e
 Interconnect : Xindak  FA Gold RCA

If I am forced to live with just one headphones,I would choose the ED10,then the HE6,Then T1 (I didn't write anything here,but I know how they sound like cuz I thing I own them long enough)
If I have just 2000 $ to pay ,I may choose the HE6 and HD800.

If I have 3000$ then HE6,HD800,LCD2.

P.s I really like the sound of Stax .I tried the Stax Sigma today and They enjoyed me so much.The stax sounded so different. Short words bout them "The music is flowing" . So I now know,why many people keep on saying that the O2 MKI or MKII are the best sounding headphones.I am very excited to hear the O2 mkI   

P.S2 I tried the ES5 demo today. Compared to my JH13 pro,I would say the high and mid of the ES5 are really great and superior to the JH13,The bass of the es5 is less presence than the JH13pro bass but the both have great bass in their own way, Even though I've found the ES5 really great ,still I don't want to invest more for my portable gear.

P.S3 to my surprise.I imagined that the Stax O2 MkI lacks Bass,but wow I've been always wrong. But I don't want to say much about them,I have to wait for many months till my freind's Blue Hawaii is coming in order to have a words about the O2.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #620 of 2,110
Sadly I just want to be a bit richer,so that I could buy them all :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #621 of 2,110
Nice to hear your T1 is up and running again coolcat. Do you have any experience with the Ultrasone Pro 750/900?

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #622 of 2,110
Jan sent me a new pair Obqivist,thank you again to help me find the recieved :p

Bout the Pro900. I like the Pro900 ,because of their bass,I wish the Ultrasone will keep on improoving  their pro line till the SQ is  near or better than the ED9 and somehow selling us with a reasonable price. For me I like the Pro900 for rock more than the Grados .(Sorry for Gardos Fan here I just don't like Grados sound),but for something else I prefer for example ATH AD2000,MS Pro more than the Pro900 .

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #623 of 2,110
Dec 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #624 of 2,110
They all look good to me. Great fun! I wasn't crazy about the looks of the Ed. 10 but it has grown on me. I wonder, and think they will, produce an Ed. 10 or the same thing for much less. 

So what makes the drivers of the Ed. 10 any different? I realize that they have a fancy housing etc but the drivers are what I am curious about. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #626 of 2,110
Just got mine yesterday #0252 so 1,758 more available. 

They sound like STAX more than orthos or dynamic.  Very fast and natural :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #628 of 2,110
Looking at all those top headphones whetted my appetite. I noticed that among all those headphones, only the E8 and E10 are the only ones that are relatively easy to drive. Some of the other headphones needed quite solid amplification to even sound ok. The E10 works out of my iPhone 3GS headphone out quite fine and dandy, although you really need amplification to make them sound their best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #630 of 2,110
I don't know, I find the LCD-2 very easy to drive. The better everything upstream, of course the better they sound but still, they are easy to drive. I am on the waiting list for the 10.   Waiting. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back