Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Oct 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #151 of 2,110
I just wish they'd stop making all these super limited editions.  "Hey that sound sig sounds perfect for me! Oh never mind, there are only 2000 of them in whole world and I can't afford it..."

Its not just Ultrasone either.  AT has a whole slew of them too.  Keep all the bling an option so the rest of us can get the sound.  The (partially) did that with the Edition 8 at least.

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #152 of 2,110

Quote:
Ohm's Law.

tongue.gif

HA!  I get it...LOL...I thought it was some new internet/texting acronym I didn't know...

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #153 of 2,110

Quote:

I don't mind limited edition headphones. In fact, I think they're exciting and fun as a collector. There's a certain thrill that comes with hunting for and tracking down rare headphones. That's probably petty of me, but given how many other nice, non-limted headphones there are out there, I don't feel so bad. Besides, they're for my personal enjoyment only. I'm not trying to horde them to gouge people on the price later.

ALSO! Consider the fact that limited editions allow the headphone makers to put out MORE products. Audio-Technica is the perfect example. Do you honestly think they would have released all those woodies if each one was an unlimited production? Instead they were kept limited and a new one was released every year for a while, leading to a nice variety of different headphones with unique qualities to enjoy. It wouldn't be cost effective for companies like Audio-Technica to make unlimited quantities of all those different headphones.

That's excellent news. I love my Concerto.

Its not petty of you at all... its like that with any collection, be it headphones or otherwise. And you are absolutely right that other companies have done this before.

But ultrasone lowered the prices a lot with the E8 and I am better a lot more people got those than the E9 or E7. Now that they finally have a following as a true hi-fi company from a lot of prior skeptics, they went back to the 3000$ pricing.

It is what it is, and you are right to point out the AT line... damn are they ever gorgeous, just like the edition line - so they definitely have their niche appeal. To be fair, the L3000 was the only one that was ever SUPER expensive though IIRC.

As long as people reference the price as the E10 "experience" as in gorgeous headphone, matching stand, great sound etc then we should be good. If the price is directly related to the sound quality, well then we are going to have an issue :p.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #154 of 2,110
I talked to an Ultrasone dealer today...asked him what his cost would be on the Edition 10. He looked it up and said "I can't get that headphone, but if I could, my price would probably be $1900." I said holy crap, their markups must be huge! He said yes, their markups are usually that big.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #155 of 2,110

Quote:
I talked to an Ultrasone dealer today...asked him what his cost would be on the Edition 10. He looked it up and said "I can't get that headphone, but if I could, my price would probably be $1900." I said holy crap, their markups must be huge! He said yes, their markups are usually that big.

scary stuff.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #156 of 2,110
The markup is usually x2 at least. So it´s not abnormal in that sense
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #157 of 2,110

Quote:

Wow what a joke if that's true 
confused_face.gif
 Though with that said, he said he can't get it so he may have been working on limited information. 

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #158 of 2,110

Quote:
Yup - some pass the test of time, and some don't, although I am not aware of any of the last 18 month's worth of statement headphones that have really fallen out of favor.  HD800, T1, LCD-2 - these headphones have been around a while, now, and all still have pretty devoted followings.

PS1000 was just a blip on the radar. Never hear about them much anymore.

--

Also, aren't business_jj's comments a bit of a conflict of interest as he represents (apparently) a headphone audio store who just happens to have stock on these?

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #160 of 2,110
Although I did say that ED10 sounds SO GOOD, I still think a big chunk of its price tag is for decorative blings.

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #161 of 2,110
It's a shame about the PS1000s lack of a following because I think they're much better than the T1s now that I've had them both for a while. I always turn to my PS1000s first, and just listened for a couple of hours tonight...
And the PS1000s sound fine with solid state, but, to my ears, the T1s only sound great with my tube amp. The PS1000s just sound so profound with a really awesomely satisfying bass.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #162 of 2,110
listened to the ED10 (even not burnt in yet) today. They sound so gorgeous.The very best Mid I've ever heard so natural, so real,so sweet. Great soundstage wide and deep,Great bass extension and deep even not the most impressive like the bass of the moded ED9 (i REALLY LOVE their Bass so deep, tight,impactful and with the right quantity ) I heard today,but their Bass is realy realy nice. If you ask me about the Price-tag,I will say it's a little bit too expensive. The price around 2200usd would be perfect,on the other hand if you consider  the price of Stax007 system or the O2+ good amps from WOO or blue Hawaii or KGSS .I  think the ED10 is not much overpriced ( 2 guys at business_jj 's shop have found that the ED10 are even superior to the O2?????,they've heard at the meetings.Another guy will sell his HD800 next week)
I will sell my HD800 tomorrow and maybe(prob around 50%) ED8 next week  to fund the ED10(or maybe HE6 or JH3A).But like I said I have to make up my mind first because of their price.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #164 of 2,110

Quote:
It's a shame about the PS1000s lack of a following because I think they're much better than the T1s now that I've had them both for a while. I always turn to my PS1000s first, and just listened for a couple of hours tonight...
And the PS1000s sound fine with solid state, but, to my ears, the T1s only sound great with my tube amp. The PS1000s just sound so profound with a really awesomely satisfying bass.

I have no problem believing you.  We miss some serious gear and cans while going along with the majority as sheep.  If not for the concern with weight and ergo I'd have definitely had a PS1000.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #165 of 2,110
Crap.  I caved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back