Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Oct 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #136 of 2,110
E/I?

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #137 of 2,110
All those naysayers and detractors must be awfully full.

You know, from eating all their words and all. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #138 of 2,110
Well this does happen every time a new flagship gets released into the wild. I'm not saying that the Edition 10 isn't the "best headphone ever", just saying that they ALL are at first 
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #139 of 2,110
Yup - some pass the test of time, and some don't, although I am not aware of any of the last 18 month's worth of statement headphones that have really fallen out of favor.  HD800, T1, LCD-2 - these headphones have been around a while, now, and all still have pretty devoted followings.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #141 of 2,110

Quote:
Oh, I know they'll be somewhere in the middle most likely. I was just referring to those who were so sure these would be a complete joke.

I don't think anyone though they would be a complete joke so much as the price point is very polarizing in its own right, especially considering the lack of exotic technologies (save maybe s-logic, but I meant more like electrostatic etc), and some very purdie aesthetics. Will be neat if it truly is all these people say. Nice to read the positive impressions, definitely some high praise indeed.

I wonder if anyone will ever get a pair in Montreal. If so feel free to invite me over any time XD

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #142 of 2,110

Quote:
Oh, I know they'll be somewhere in the middle most likely. I was just referring to those who were so sure these would be a complete joke.

Let us know if you hear anything about thier arrival date to the USA. My source is telling me his distributor has no information yet and said that normally Ultrasone is very difficult on getting commitments on dates and/or quantities.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #143 of 2,110

Quote:
I don't think anyone though they would be a complete joke so much as the price point is very polarizing in its own right, especially considering the lack of exotic technologies (save maybe s-logic, but I meant more like electrostatic etc), and some very purdie aesthetics. Will be neat if it truly is all these people say. Nice to read the positive impressions, definitely some high praise indeed.

I wonder if anyone will ever get a pair in Montreal. If so feel free to invite me over any time XD

Oh, there were plenty of posts from people saying they'd be a complete joke. Mostly in those threads about what you could buy for the same price, or the "what kind of car would these be" threads. I've noticed a very strong anti-Ultrasone bias on this forum.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #144 of 2,110
I'm waiting for the newest breakthrough limited edition flagship cans that feature orthodynamic drivers, ring-radiated tweeters, and electrostatic power consumption with advanced ambient noise management and the latest S Logic III EMF radiation negation plus plenty of bling and rare earth minerals and of course an ATA-approved carrying case and matching custom Congolese Mahogany Heartwood stand FTW 
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #145 of 2,110

Quote:
Let us know if you hear anything about thier arrival date to the USA. My source is telling me his distributor has no information yet and said that normally Ultrasone is very difficult on getting commitments on dates and/or quantities.

Yeah, the store I pre-ordered from says the same thing. They have no clue. I'm kind of miffed at Ultrasone to be honest. You'd think they'd be a little more with-it when it comes to selling their flagship $3000+ headphone.

While I'm on the subject, I just wanted to reiterate how annoying the whole process has been. First, trying to find out any info on how to buy the headphones in the first place. When I e-mailed Ultrasone USA I got dismissed basically. The rep. told me I could buy them on the German website when there wasn't even a single mention of them there. Furthermore, the German website clearly states they don't ship outside of Germany. How would that help me? When I pointed this out, the rep. said "oh you're right." Then she said she'd take my name down for her pre-order list but never got back to me. So I went to Sound Earphones where they treated me with a more respect.

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #146 of 2,110
Well now you can just call Randy on his cell phone, so all is good right?

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #148 of 2,110

Quote:

Oh, there were plenty of posts from people saying they'd be a complete joke. Mostly in those threads about what you could buy for the same price, or the "what kind of car would these be" threads. I've noticed a very strong anti-Ultrasone bias on this forum.

Who knows, could be. Some people just don't take to the s-logic approach. I really liked the ultrasones I owned.

But to be fair, the price IS something to get pissy about, at least in principal. I know a lot of people are willing to spend this kind of money -and that is fine and their business. But for a dynamic headphone all it really does is set a precedent that in the end screws everyone over. I'll openly admit I can't afford them at it obviously is a bias, but most head-fiers cannot afford them. Not that I really want a new pair of headphones at this point in time though.

Yes, stax are expensive, but the supply is low and so is the demand. The exotic technology and extensive amps needed also factor into the price, so high $$ are easier to swallow.

Dynamics... are well dynamics and they are "easy" to make. Not saying the E10 isn't a work of art - because it truly is. But the soaring costs of these headphones does not bode well any head-fier. Paying a huge premium so you and a company can have a penis envy status is not productive. 

Just 1-2 years ago people were mad/worried (and excited) about flagships shooting up to 1000$. Since then we have seem several at 1300-1600, now these at 2700... its real bad news. In order for a company to compete in the eyes of the un adulterated audiophile (read too far gone from common sense with tons of money to burn) is to be more expensive. As a result everyone loses so that a few people can have bragging rights.

HD 1000 to compete with the E10 at 3000$... Then obviously for the HD 2000 to be better it would have to be more, so 4000$. 

oh well /end rant.

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #150 of 2,110
Edition headphones have always been expensive. The Edition 7 was around 3,000. That's part of Ultrasone's image. I don't foresee the Edition 10 making other companies think they can charge more.

Now if Sennheiser starts charging $3,000 for dynamic headphones, then that's something to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back