Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #151 of 771
I absolutely adore my Edition 8s, and I'd probably have to sell them to afford these right now. Though if the sound is similar to the Ed. 8s but with a more expansive soundstage, I don't think I could resist.

Kind of embarrassed to say that, as it sounds like I'm not satisfied with what I already have. The Edition 8s are the best cans I own, and I am very fortunate to have them.

Quote:
Welcome to Head-fi, a good introductions for your wallet, or purse
wink_face.gif

Thanks! I've been lurking for a while now, so this place has already done a LOT of damage. It's kind of frightening that the first place I post now that I'm "officially" a member is a thread for a $3200 pair of cans. I hope this isn't an indicator of things to come.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #152 of 771
Quote:
Headphones like this really start to piss me off and give a bad precedent for headphone hobby in general.   To me, Ultrasone is acting a lot like the cell phone manufacturer Vertu, where the cell phones are utter crap Nokias that are embellished in leather, wood, and crystals only for the sake of exclusivity.

#1, how do you know how they will sound? They could be the one. IC's can cost more (not that I'd buy them).
#2, Vertu sells a lot of cell phones at that price. Just ask any Tourneau employee.

We don't have to buy them.

Also, Bonnie Raitt has turned me on for years. I'd have to get her Nicoderm patches, though, if we got serious.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #153 of 771
Give me Aliante monitors, a Martin Logan sub woofer and a dedicated listening room! : )

Quote:
Head over to Audiogon and run a search for speakers in the $1,000-$3,500 range.  It's full of classic, excellent speakers.

For $1,800, you can buy Steve Hoffman's old Magnepans.

Klipschorns for $2,200.

B&W Matrix 801s around $2,000.

Quad ESLs from $2,000-$3,000.

Vandersteen 3As around $1,200.

I could go on, but these speakers will throw any pair of headphones on the floor and stomp them.  As for powering these speakers, a used integrated NAD ($300-$1,000) or similar would be fine.

Headphones are turning into a poor value.  Everyone is throwing out "prestige" models that often end up costing you more than an excellent pair of used speakers.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #155 of 771

Quote:
Paid the phones,price 1999 euros.According to German forum posts these are far the best Ultrasones ever.
Cheers 

That means they might have finally made a pair of headphones that sound as good as something around the $700-1000 mark. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #156 of 771
So they are in the hands of the public in Germany? Or is this the Ultrasone Germans?
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #157 of 771

Quote:
That means they might have finally made a pair of headphones that sound as good as something around the $700-1000 mark. 
wink_face.gif

Come on now, they aren't that bad, just have their own sound and often overpriced.  Just another one of their expensive options like the $1499. portable phones-Edition 8.  I guess if they charge that for a portable then 3200. for a home phone is with in their thinking.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #160 of 771

Quote:
Come on now, they aren't that bad, just have their own sound and often overpriced.  Just another one of their expensive options like the $1499. portable phones-Edition 8.  I guess if they charge that for a portable then 3200. for a home phone is with in their thinking.

They are that overpriced.  ED8s though, granted, are the ultimate portable, if you don't mind paying two-thirds the price for the bling look.
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #162 of 771

Quote:
They are that overpriced.  ED8s though, granted, are the ultimate portable, if you don't mind paying two-thirds the price for the bling look.
wink_face.gif

I did1 year ago a comparison between HD-800 and ED-8, i have owned both and the conclusion was that the ED-8 outperform the HD-800, it was an easy job to do that.But anyway the HD-800 was the most unmusical performer and the ED-8 rocks.There was something in my wish list or dream list, if i could have the soundstage of HD-800 and the soundquality of ED-8 both together in one headphone............ looking forward to hear the dream in the ED-10.
Ultrasones are not overpriced check out the competition, nice looks but almost all plastic toys.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #163 of 771
I must say despite finally finding a good amp for the T1 the ED 8 is still outperforming it. So in comparison to another overpriced headphone it performs very well indeed :)...

Now please by my Auditor/T1 after this amazing sell pitch.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #164 of 771
I absolutely adore my Edition 8s. I'd have to sell them to afford these right now, which makes me a bit sad, but if these have the sound of the Ed. 8s plus a more expansive soundstage it would probably be worth it to me.

It's kind of embarrassing to say that, as it makes it sound like I'm ungrateful for what I already have. The Ed. 8s are amazing cans, by far the best dynamic headphones I own, and I am very fortunate to own a pair. If I do end up selling them, I hope they find a nice home with someone here.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #165 of 771
yeah i never thought i was going to like any ultrasones, but the Ed 8's at canjam really did impress me, one of the few fullsize cans that i could see myself owning. not that they were as good as my jh-13's but i still liked them quite a bit. the LCD-2's were the only ones i found yet that were as good as my 13's. but alas 3200 bucks is a bit too rich for my blood...maybe the used market??? ill go put up my WTB thread right now 

WTB: ED 10 < $1400   
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back