Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 3, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #183 of 771
The economic divide is growing into a real chasm
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #185 of 771

Certainly a valid opinion.  But it's important to keep in mind what value means to every person.  If someone gave me 3200 dollars and I had a choice to spend it on the Edition 10 or a car.....I'd take the headphone every single time.  10 years from now my 3200 spent on headphones will still be delivering great sound (provided they were well cared for).  The 3200 for the car may not make it 5 of those 10 years and that's also if it were well taken care of.   I saw a truck today that probably had 2000 dollars worth of rims on it.  Certainly a great value to that guy who bought them.

I won't personally be able to buy these cans, but they are going to be of great value to the 2010 people that do.  I am already happy for those that have pre ordered.  Jealous too!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I hope to be able to at least hear them one day. 
Quote:
Headphones like this really start to piss me off and give a bad precedent for headphone hobby in general.....  No matter how you look at the $3200 price, these are super poor value no matter how you cut it, since all they are is 2 headphone drivers attached to a metal frame and with leather earpads! 

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #186 of 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am already happy for those that have pre ordered.  Jealous too!!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'd be one of those people too, if I could actually FIND such a means of pre-ordering them. My efforts to discover the slightest mention of it online have been fruitless. The one authorized Ultrasone dealer I spoke with hasn't even heard of the Edition 10 yet, and I've gotten no reply from Ultrasone themselves, either. Those few people who claim to have pre-ordered: please, bestow thy secret unto me!

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #191 of 771

Quote:
I could go on, but these speakers will throw any pair of headphones on the floor and stomp them.  As for powering these speakers, a used integrated NAD ($300-$1,000) or similar would be fine.  
Headphones are turning into a poor value.  Everyone is throwing out "prestige" models that often end up costing you more than an excellent pair of used speakers.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Do you really think Vandersteen 3As or some old obsolete B&Ws sound better than Omega 2s on a BHSE? It's not even close. The O2s can beat up $10,000 speakers.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #192 of 771
Speakers are just a different animal compared to headphones....not that one is better in relation to another, it is a matter of preference.  

However, headphones will never be able to put you in the live performance like a high end speaker rig can in my opinion.

But anyway --> back to the Ultrasone.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #193 of 771

Quote:
nonetheless.  it's interesting to see a company other than sony break the 2000 barrier with dynamic headphones.
i use the word "interesting" because i'm not sure yet if that excites me (about the possibilities of sound) or disgusts me (about profiteering and consumerism).

Um, Ultrasone has done $2K+ dynamics before.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #194 of 771

Quote:
Quote:

Is this a joke post?  You list these things as if they are confirmed fact when all they really are is speculation at best.

German craftsmanship can't be topped?  Uhhh...yeah.

Soundstage of HD800?  Yet to be determined.

Order confirmation numbers equates to nothing.

Best headphone ever?  Seriously?!  Comedic gold.

Price will definitely drop despite "collectors item" status and there is no way these things will be selling out quickly.  Look how long it took for both the Edition 7 and 9 to sell out.  At this absurd price the 10 will easily be on the market for more than a full year.

speculation or maybe a joke,   you can order them at Ultrasones webside ,ultrasone.de, fill in on the contact field and say that you like to buy them or make a reservation

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #195 of 771

Quote:
Speakers are just a different animal compared to headphones....not that one is better in relation to another, it is a matter of preference.  

However, headphones will never be able to put you in the live performance like a high end speaker rig can in my opinion.

Speakers and headphones present music in different ways. But the idea that you can spend less than $2000 on speakers and get sound that will crush the best headphones ever made is just false. In my opinion, you don't hit the true reference level with speakers until you've spent over $20K. There are speakers below that level that truly excel in one area or another, but they can't do everything. After you've dropped that $20K, you need to spend at least the price of the Edition 10s just on room treatments. Suddenly those "overpriced" headphones don't seem like such a bad value anymore.

In the best speaker systems I've heard, yes you can get the impression that you're in the audience watching a real band on stage, and you don't really get that with headphones. Those systems were comprised of $30-50K worth of equipment though. If the ED10 can keep up with the O2 or the R10, I think it's easily a better value than an old B&W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back