Ultrasone 2500 specific thread
Mar 19, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #286 of 409
I think it's fun having such an interesting headphone. It gives us something different to debate.

I am curious about my next source b/c I recently sold my MD10 dac to fund the purchase of a new flavor. I liked the synergy with the md10 though so I know I can always return to it.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #287 of 409
Sorry to bump this thread. It's has some very ugly defensive posturing going on.

I received my 2500s last night and listened to some classical, and Bill Withers (mainly for reference), and some Keb Mo. I have more burn in to go, but I would say I wasn't impressed. I really wasn't unimpressed either.

The S-logic even on the right recordings does go outside of the head for ambience and back up singers, but the GS-1000 and K701 also do this to a larger degree. The treble reminds me of the DT880. Kind of strong but keeping it from being a dark sounding headphone. The midrange is grainy but break in probably has something to do with that.

The bass is the highlight. It goes deep and has impact but interferes with the midrange and highs making for a congested sound. These sound like closed headphones even though they are open. The bass also sounds a bit wooly even though they are being fed plenty of current.

These are rough impressions as I DO believe in burn in and will wait to see how they improve. I really don't have a use for this headphone since it is open - (looking for a closed headphone), but if it changes for the better then the 750 or Ed 9 might be in my sites. However, the Ed 9 had better sound 3-4X better to justify its price
very_evil_smiley.gif
I know Superman's ears said the 2500s are 90% of the Ed 9. If that's the case, then...
mad.gif

I'll report back later.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #288 of 409
Oh one more thing that I did like about the 2500s was the fact that at reasonable volumes (74-76dbs), they sounded loud and impactful. I tried my db meter and thought something was wrong since it sounded pretty loud. -- I then read the Ultrasone website which stated that this was part of the design.

This is something that I like and wish other headphone designers would consider. I know this is the downside to the RS and GS series Grados. You have to listen at lower volumes becuase the high frequency spikes can top out at 80dbs while the rest of the frequencies are hovering in the mid to low 70s if that makes any sense
blink.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #289 of 409
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, the Ed 9 had better sound 3-4X better to justify its price
very_evil_smiley.gif
I know Superman's ears said the 2500s are 90% of the Ed 9. If that's the case, then...
mad.gif

Whomever believes that listening the PROLines will give you an idea of how the Edition sounds, and see that I'm not saying any %, I'm just saying: an idea, could not be more wrong...

I will just add that I recently sold the PROlines 2500, honestly after receiving the RPX33 MKII I had absolutelly no use for them in my home, not any excuse to keep them, nor two pairs of CD3K...And I did love them...

Till now IMO there is huge difference in perfomance between the PROLines and the Edtion 9, and everyday it is bigger to my ears...to what extend it is worth the difference in price? Well that is the real question. To me it is, for others it will not be, but there is a very noticeable difference in sound quality between those two...

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #290 of 409
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whomever believes that listening the PROLines will give you an idea of how the Edition sounds, and see that I'm not saying any %, I'm just saying: an idea, could not be more wrong...

I will just add that I recently sold the PROlines 2500, honestly after receiving the RPX33 MKII ...

That was superman'sears that compared the 2. I assume a big difference unless Ultrasone has made a huge marketing error. I'm glad to hear the sound is different. Nothing against the 2500 but its not really my taste, at least not so far. But to be fair, they do compete with the HD650/880/K701.

BTW, nice amp. At almost $2K US. I won't be getting it, but it looks like a top SS headphone amp.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #291 of 409
Just to quote myself from yesterday:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh... I came soooooo close to returning my Proline 750's for days during that burn-in, and it wasn't till the 200th finally rolled around that major problems I had with the sound finally smoothed away like magic. And they did improve further with time, becoming silkier and more liquid-like. Bumps in the upper bass and 2-4k regions, and very metallic, followed by overload bass, followed by bumps in the lower mids, followed by still-cranky "weird" highs as the low end finally began to mellow, and then at last the highs smoothed out, and the mega-bass effect disappeared entirely, as did the lower-midrange bump, and suddenly they sounded very even-handed, fun, and accurate. I mean, these headphones are a very strange ride indeed!!!!

I hope your ride is a smooth one and fun - quite an adventure these cans!

Also, do give yourself time after the burn-in to get used to the S-Logic presentation. It requires a bit of a head-shift to "get it" where you really appreciate it. Also, be aware that you sometimes have to move the cups forwards or back to find the "sweet spot" - this seems to change with different recordings.

I hope you are one for whom these headphones will be an enjoyable experience. However, if you find them not to be to your taste for whatever reason, please post about that as well, encouraging further discourse about these interesting headphones.

(A lot of the disruption earlier in this thread was caused by my "thinking aloud" on some things, without knowing how to actually put such ideas into action. I'm sorry for how that annoyed some people due to my lack of clarity. Now to get on to personally applying an open mind to all responses in the interest of understanding and deeper insights, and enhanced camaraderie amongst all of us here.)

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #292 of 409
Good information Terry. I will give them a fair shot. I know how unfair it is to dismiss a headphone after short impressions and before adequite run in, and like you said - simply getting used to the sound.

I want them to work out. If they do, I'll probably trade them for the 750s because I want the isolation. I already am set as far as open cans are concerned.

Then down the road the Ed. 9s ...

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #293 of 409
Quote:

Good information Terry. I will give them a fair shot. I know how unfair it is to dismiss a headphone after short impressions and before adequite run in, and like you said - simply getting used to the sound.

I want them to work out. If they do, I'll probably trade them for the 750s because I want the isolation. I already am set as far as open cans are concerned.

Then down the road the Ed. 9s ...

rob

you have no idea how crasy ultrasones are! i have always been able to tell a lot about a headphone pre breakin. but these are very very hard to figure before having a lot of hours on them. i have the hrs on mine now and I am loving the pl 750's so much that i have kept my order for the Ed 9 in.

i will not be at all surprised if these babies grow on you .

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #294 of 409
Quote:

That was superman'sears that compared the 2. I assume a big difference unless Ultrasone has made a huge marketing error. I'm glad to hear the sound is different. Nothing against the 2500 but its not really my taste, at least not so far. But to be fair, they do compete with the HD650/880/K701.

BTW, nice amp. At almost $2K US. I won't be getting it, but it looks like a top SS headphone amp.

Well if you consider that the PROLines are at the same level than those you mentioned, and the fact that I sold mine in favor of the Edition without hesitation/remorse at all, and even one CD3K, just try to figure out what I'm hearing here right now ...
very_evil_smiley.gif
... Man that is insane!!!!

BTW and as a curious note using this new amp (which was optimized exclusively for them) the sound is completelly smooth, it has smooth-out big time, not sure if it is becasue of the amp, as I boxed the old one (but on the PPA the sound is relaxed as well) or becasue of the extended burn in, but the sound now is even more natural and relaxed than before...

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #295 of 409
Make no mistake. I will buy the Ed. 9s
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I just can't bite yet because of the long lead time. I can't see having $1,000 + being tied up for months without return.

I wasn't aware that the amp was made for those headphones. That's something to consider.

In the mean time, I am now more curious than ever about how the 2500s will evolve. Thanks analog'd for the info

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #296 of 409
Are we still positive that the waiting time for sub $1500 Edition 9's is until May? Maybe there is some other merchant besides NS&L that might have them for a reasonable price?

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #298 of 409
Quote:

I wasn't aware that the amp was made for those headphones.

The amp was not made for those heapdhones, mine was ...
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #300 of 409
I think the "2500 is 90% of Edition 9" comment might be interpreted or misunderstood in many ways.

As an example, suppose I say the A950LTD is 90% of the L3000. I think there are similarities but also significant differences. The difference that I'm placing the 10% number on might be very different from someone else who has heard both headphones who might say the difference is 30%.

Someone who has only heard the A950LTD might have a very different idea of the L3000 than what I intended to convey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back