Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #3,376 of 4,383
Nice, so they are saying there is a lot of confusion. confusion??  Really? It's not us who created the confusion. It's THEIR website that made us wonder due to the photos etc... They really need to clear the air. Logitech, seriously... If it looks like the UE 900 and sound like the UE 900 why adding the gel and tips and calling it UE 900s knowing there is a UE 900s in the works. Come on now. No matter what they gonna say now after consulting with all the experts how to spin it in a way that won't make them look horrible on their end. The bottom line is that the UE 900 has a great sound but poorly constructed and the build quality put me off. I have cut offs from day one and I baby them. The pinhole bore got clogged after a couple of weeks and sound had changed. The cable has no stress relief  and for a $400 flagship they should have delivered more and not overlook these issue, but pushing the 900 as the 900s and cutting the warranty to 1 year is simply unacceptable.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #3,377 of 4,383
I had cut ins/cut outs that's what lead me to this forum | complaint #2 but accepted it as being normal as it was reportedly common across many sets..  fast forward several months later the volume in my UE 900 no longer works properly in the right channel but both channels now sound like entry level stock earphones and the manufacturer has not only scrapped off their entire consumer IEM product range but have redesigned, repackaged and relaunched UE 900 with a reduced warranty guaranteeing the product will last no longer than a year.. I suspect the reason for cut ins/cut outs is due to silver plates at connection of IEM and not gold like they've been redesigned as now?

This company is not responding to me or my inquiries of why they've discontinued all but just one consumer IEM UE900s, you can not trust them as soon as your warranty is up they shut you out I bet all my emails have been automatically redirected to no action taken.. I will kick up a social media storm and unofficially inform UE consumers across Amazon, Youtube, Head-Fi, Logitech Forum, and Logitech's Twitter / Facebook that Logitech discontinued their entire product range due to build quality issues.. that backs up why I've experienced failure after failure scrapped them all off.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #3,378 of 4,383
So I left a pretty bad review on Amazon and was contacted because of that. Turns out that my dealings yesterday were with the head of the UE brand so needless to say that's a bridge I don't want to burn in case there are some future problems that we need help with.

What does that even mean? Will he flat out refuse to work with you if you out the information? That seems like a veiled threat to tell you to keep it to yourself.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,379 of 4,383
  What does that even mean? Will he flat out refuse to work with you if you out the information? That seems like a veiled threat to tell you to keep it to yourself.

No, I was never threatened or anything like that, actually quite the opposite. Once I was able to talk to someone above the customer service level, I was able to get more accomplished in 2 emails than I did in 2.5 weeks. I was asked to hold off on sharing some info, and I thought it was a fair request as they said they are going to address it themselves. I was then emailed last night saying that they will be posting on here in the next day or so to address the issues people have with the UE 900s. I was kindly asked to hold off on sharing some of the info I was given as they would like to share it themselves and attach their name to it, that's all.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,381 of 4,383

No, I was never threatened or anything like that, actually quite the opposite. Once I was able to talk to someone above the customer service level, I was able to get more accomplished in 2 emails than I did in 2.5 weeks. I was asked to hold off on sharing some info, and I thought it was a fair request as they said they are going to address it themselves. I was then emailed last night saying that they will be posting on here in the next day or so to address the issues people have with the UE 900s. I was kindly asked to hold off on sharing some of the info I was given as they would like to share it themselves and attach their name to it, that's all.

I think it's fair enough that they want to be able to have a proper response given the kerfuffle. It's funny how one Amazon review is immediately enough to spur them into action! Customer service has seemingly been quite uncoordinated in their response to this issue. I guess everyone is speaking to different people and no CS rep has the inclination / channels to escalate it to where it needs to be. It is quite clearly reaching the right people now though. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,382 of 4,383
That doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't a longer warranty indicate more confidence in the build quality?
I always look at a shorter warenty as there more secure with the build quality. So I expected the new model to be well built. If that was in the box

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3,383 of 4,383

I think it's fair enough that they want to be able to have a proper response given the kerfuffle. It's funny how one Amazon review is immediately enough to spur them into action! Customer service has seemingly been quite uncoordinated in their response to this issue. I guess everyone is speaking to different people and no CS rep has the inclination / channels to escalate it to where it needs to be. It is quite clearly reaching the right people now though. 

It's not one Amazon review.  A "typical" protocol from most of the companies is to respond with a comment to a negative Amazon review or to contact the seller asking to update the rating if it's unfair or due to a defective unit, etc.  I'm telling you, I raised a stink contacting directly Logitech/UE PR rep who asked me to provide all the relevant links from Head-fi, which I did including your excellent YT video.  A few days later they contacted Shakes...  I believe that was the straw that broke the camel's back
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,384 of 4,383
That doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't a longer warranty indicate more confidence in the build quality?

I having worked in at a coupe of different device manufacturing companies, I agree with you Gilly. The companies I worked for put longer warranties on items they were all but certain were unlikely to ever get sent back.

A very good example of this is the Hard drive industry. The less expensive consumer drives tend to have very short warranties.
Look at Western Digital as an example.
A 1 TB Blue drive is about $53 and the same size Green about $58. Both have two year warranties. The higher end Black costs about $80 and has a 5 year warranty. The extra cost isn't because of the warranty, it's due to the additional quality tests performed be for it goes out the door. WD does the tests because when a Black drive passes those tests data has proven they are far less likely to fail within five years. So what that extra $25 is really paying for is piece of mind.

Of course if you look at UE almost all of the customs only have a 1 year warranty, which I honestly think that given the price is kind of short.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #3,385 of 4,383

Absolutely, I never once got the impression that the new UE900s sounds different (though I don't speak Japanese).

@Danz03 reported earlier in the thread that he demoed both the 900 and the 900s at the store. He got the same pair as most people received. 900 in a 900s box. 
My assumption was that his pair was brand new 900/900s and unclogged pinhole bore while the 900 that he demoed at the store were clogged up with earwax (yucks!).
However he also mention that he was told at the store that the sound is different between the 900 and the 900s. Danz03 said he loves the 900s and didn't like the 900 at all..
So I honestly don't know what to think anymore. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,387 of 4,383
  It sure would be nice if someone from UE/Logitech would make a statement to clear up all this confusion...

I was sent an email last night saying that they'd be posting on Head-Fi in the next day or so (presumably today or tomorrow).

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #3,388 of 4,383
Just this week, I received a UE900 in a UE900s box, directly from Logitech (ordered from their web site).
That's in the US.

Besides this huge disappointment, the customer service has been a nightmarish experience, and I am not very optimistic that the story has come to end yet (I am waiting for the shipping label to return the product, and of course for the reimbursement). 

Details in this post.

As much as I'd love to have the UE900s, once I get my money back, I'll order a Weston instead.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #3,389 of 4,383
Depends on how you look at it. You can look at a 2 year warranty as there confident on their build quality or you can look at it as the company expect the products to have some issues with in the 2 year. They are product that have one year warranty or less and have excellent build quality and vice versa

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #3,390 of 4,383
The longer the warranty the better. I offer 5-10 yrs warranty on products that we sell. I am confident it won't break and if it does the manufacture takes care of it. Usually manufactures will cut you a better deal if you opt for a shorter warranty, they are not liable after the warranty expires and as a result will be able to offer you a better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back