Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #3,361 of 4,383
I'm just wait till they releases an official statement and you should too. This is only adding to the confusion. It's best if we let them explain them self. I do believe them when they said they was making changes with the 900. And that what everyone got is a better 900. A few of my replacement were slightly different

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3,362 of 4,383

They didn't tell me that, I was trying to remember off the top of my head and that's what I thought it was. What they actually told me was that the specs of the UE 900 and 900s are exactly the same if looking at tech specs, so they aren't sure how it is that everyone thought that it was going to be a vastly different or improved sound when they never came out and said that the UE 900s was an upgrade soundwise over the original 900.

support center told me that 
sorry it's in french but just check the link

"je vous invite à consulter les deux liens suivants concernant les spécificités techniques des UE 900 et des UE 900s:
UE 900 http://logitech-fr-emea.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34400/section/troubleshoot/crid/1419/lt_product_id/10149/tabs/1,3,2,5/cl/fr,fr
UE 900s http://www.ultimateears.com/fr-fr/900s et cliquer sur caractéristiques techniques

Vous pourrez alors constater que les produits sont identiques à l'exception de la réponse en fréquence qui est moins étalé de 5hz à 20Khz pour les UE 900 à 20hz à 20Khz pour les UE 900s."

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #3,363 of 4,383
Could be just a typo and the rep look it up and repeated what he or she saw. I never seen a headphone with that type of frequency and the bass would be crazy till the point it muddy everything if that was true

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #3,364 of 4,383
Okay, I think I will wait for the official statement. But to summarise this is how things sound like to me:

1. Logitech is shipping UE900s with UE900 parts.
2. Logitech has designed a revised UE900s and plans to introduce this into full production at some point.
3. E-Earphone in Japan somehow managed to get their hands on a pre-production, revised UE900s.
4. Logitech's website and packaging depicts the new revision.

Why are they making a new revision at all? Most of the changes seem to revolve around improving the construction quality.

Why hasn't the new revision been introduced? Is it not ready? Or is it because they want to clear existing inventory of the old parts?

Logitech can assure us that manufacturing has improved on the old version, but it obviously hasn't improved to the point where they a) don't need a revised design b) feel confident enough to offer a 2 year warranty.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #3,365 of 4,383
Okay, I think I will wait for the official statement. But to summarise this is how things sound like to me:

1. Logitech is shipping UE900s with UE900 parts.
2. Logitech has designed a revised UE900s and plans to introduce this into full production at some point.
3. E-Earphone in Japan somehow managed to get their hands on a pre-production, revised UE900s.
4. Logitech's website and packaging depicts the new revision.

Why are they making a new revision at all? Most of the changes seem to revolve around improving the construction quality.

Why hasn't the new revision been introduced? Is it not ready? Or is it because they want to clear existing inventory of the old parts?

Logitech can assure us that manufacturing has improved on the old version, but it obviously hasn't improved to the point where they a) don't need a revised design b) feel confident enough to offer a 2 year warranty.

Maybe they're just starting to grasp the seriousness of this and are trying to come up with a coherent story to explain the issue.

But then again, UE never once market the UE900s to sound different so they aren't making any false representation as well.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #3,366 of 4,383
Maybe they're just starting to grasp the seriousness of this and are trying to come up with a coherent story to explain the issue.

But then again, UE never once market the UE900s to sound different so they aren't making any false representation as well.

Absolutely, I never once got the impression that the new UE900s sounds different (though I don't speak Japanese).

I think basically what's happened is that E-Earphone showed something that wasn't in retail yet, but it doesn't help that Logitech's website and packaging depict this new version.

Obviously Logitech when they launch the product can't say "a few months down the line we will have a new revision", but then why didn't they just delay the release until everything that comes in the box is new? It's tremendously confusing when you release a product with old parts when you already have new versions of those parts waiting in the wings.

The only reason I can think of for doing things this way is so they could have cleared inventory of the old parts, which they are perfectly entitled to do. But they could have just sold these parts in the original UE900 box as clearance products and waited till everything was ready for the UE900s release. Especially considering they are selling the UE900s at a shiny new new price.

Now I'm really curious as to how E-Earphone got their unit in the first place.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #3,369 of 4,383

If only someone in Japan could grab a unit from E-Earphone to see if they are indeed as per the video.

That is a good idea. DARNIT I knew someone who was in Japan before that could have done that. Grr.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #3,370 of 4,383

Absolutely, I never once got the impression that the new UE900s sounds different (though I don't speak Japanese).

I think basically what's happened is that E-Earphone showed something that wasn't in retail yet, but it doesn't help that Logitech's website and packaging depict this new version.

Obviously Logitech when they launch the product can't say "a few months down the line we will have a new revision", but then why didn't they just delay the release until everything that comes in the box is new? It's tremendously confusing when you release a product with old parts when you already have new versions of those parts waiting in the wings.

The only reason I can think of for doing things this way is so they could have cleared inventory of the old parts, which they are perfectly entitled to do. But they could have just sold these parts in the original UE900 box as clearance products and waited till everything was ready for the UE900s release. Especially considering they are selling the UE900s at a shiny new new price.

Now I'm really curious as to how E-Earphone got their unit in the first place.

E-Earphone seems to be the only people on the planet that got their hands on the revised model at least that I've seen. I was told that if I exchanged mine now I'd get the exact same model back since that's all they have stocked which leads me to believe that they aren't clearing inventory since it sounds like they are still building the current model. 

Yesterday I was told they were working on words to put out to the community and that they'd be clearing things up by today, since I haven't seen anything more about that I'm guessing that it isn't happening today so who knows when we'll hear something. I can try and email them again tomorrow.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #3,371 of 4,383

Yesterday I was told they were working on words to put out to the community and that they'd be clearing things up by today, since I haven't seen anything more about that I'm guessing that it isn't happening today so who knows when we'll hear something. I can try and email them again tomorrow.

I think you should just wait, there's no question that they are trying to decide what to do now.

If you can imagine what it would have been like if e-earphone never released those videos, everything would actually be pretty simple for them.

1) Sell UE900 part in UE900s box.
2) Wait for new revision UE900s to be ready.
3) When ready, swap out the part during production.
4) Everyone is surprised and happy to discover a nice new revision mid way through 2014/2015?

The thing is I still don't understand why they didn't just delay releasing the UE900s until they had EVERYTHING in order, so that they could have avoided any possible confusion like this. I mean isn't that the entire point of releasing a new product with new packaging?

They could have simply continued selling the UE900. Maybe they could have thrown in updated accessories in the old UE900 box because hey that would be cool.

All this wouldn't really be an issue except that
1) The new UE900s costs more.
2) It has a shorter warranty period
3) The old earpieces have known weaknesses

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,372 of 4,383
  I was told that if I exchanged mine now I'd get the exact same model back since that's all they have stocked which leads me to believe that they aren't clearing inventory since it sounds like they are still building the current model. 

I think you should think about this objectively, especially considering that Logitech is now going to formulate a response that covers them in the best light.

Just because that is all they have stocked does not mean they aren't clearing inventory. They could have boxes and boxes of new versions of UE900s just sitting in a warehouse waiting for the old parts to clear the channel for all we know. Or they could just be ironing out issues with the new version. Who knows? I just don't understand why they didn't wait! I mean they already have the photos of the new version on their website and the packaging!

What Logitech does not want now is people leaving Amazon reviews which will make clearing the old stock impossible - because who on earth would buy an old version of something if the new version (which costs the same) is just around the corner? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

From that perspective, it will be very interesting to see Logitech's response.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #3,373 of 4,383

I think you should just wait, there's no question that they are trying to decide what to do now.

If you can imagine what it would have been like if e-earphone never released those videos, everything would actually be pretty simple for them.

1) Sell UE900 part in UE900s box.
2) Wait for new revision UE900s to be ready.
3) When ready, swap out the part during production.
4) Everyone is surprised and happy to discover a nice new revision mid way through 2014/2015?

The thing is I still don't understand why they didn't just delay releasing the UE900s until they had EVERYTHING in order, so that they could have avoided any possible confusion like this. I mean isn't that the entire point of releasing a new product with new packaging?

They could have simply continued selling the UE900. Maybe they could have thrown in updated accessories in the old UE900 box because hey that would be cool.

All this wouldn't really be an issue except that
1) The new UE900s costs more.
2) It has a shorter warranty period
3) The old earpieces have known weaknesses

I think you should think about this objectively, especially considering that Logitech is now going to formulate a response that covers them in the best light.

Just because that is all they have stocked does not mean they aren't clearing inventory. They could have boxes and boxes of new versions of UE900s just sitting in a warehouse waiting for the old parts to clear the channel for all we know. Or they could just be ironing out issues with the new version. Who knows? I just don't understand why they didn't wait! I mean they already have the photos of the new version on their website and the packaging!

What Logitech does not want now is people leaving Amazon reviews which will make clearing the old stock impossible - because who on earth would buy an old version of something if the new version (which costs the same) is just around the corner? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

From that perspective, it will be very interesting to see Logitech's response.

I spoke too soon. I have been told they will be posting their response in the next day or so (they said on the Head-Fi thread so I assume that means here) and also @a_recording I have been told they are going to do some outreach to you regarding your YouTube video.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,374 of 4,383

I spoke too soon. I have been told they will be posting their response in the next day or so (they said on the Head-Fi thread so I assume that means here) and also @a_recording I have been told they are going to do some outreach to you regarding your YouTube video.

That sounds good. I think they are still working out what they can do at this point, since they can do a number of different things. I'll certainly be receptive if they reach out. I emailed Mike Dias about this at the beginning of May wanting to know more about the new UE900s.

The only reason I was interested in the first place was that I liked the sound of the old UE900 but the QC issues really put me off. When I heard that there was a new version I was naturally pretty excited. This has turned out to be quite a saga though.

I think the most important thing is that people have to know what is up. It's obvious that people would think differently about purchasing the UE900s if they know that there is a new version just around the corner. The only way people can be informed is through things like Amazon reviews and social media, though honestly I think Logitech would be more concerned about the Amazon reviews than my little video.

To be completely honest I think Logitech should just take the hit and recall all the existing UE900s units in the channel. This is just confusing for people. You could say that's naive and it will cost a lot of money, but again, they could have avoided this entire confusion in the first place.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,375 of 4,383

The only wrong move by UE is to rename UE900 as UE900s at this point in time and have two different models and packaging floating around the market.

Selling ue900 in the old packaging at a discounted price is easy.

However, it is not possible to differentiate the old UE900 from the supposingly yet-to-be-released-UE900s in the new packaging.

Unless they were to change the packaging yet again but that may result in a third model number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back