Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #4,187 of 4,383
I wouldn't recommend it as the filters are there for a reason. You might get better volume and overall sound but there is the danger of there being debris getting in the armature. If I were you I'd order etymotic white filters from etymotic customer support for free and try those out instead of plain not having anything to protect the armatures.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #4,188 of 4,383
I wouldn't recommend it as the filters are there for a reason. You might get better volume and overall sound but there is the danger of there being debris getting in the armature. If I were you I'd order etymotic white filters from etymotic customer support for free and try those out instead of plain not having anything to protect the armatures.

Yeah, I was cleaning them out and pierced one of the filters so I removed them both. I can get them free? I don't have any filters in my Shure SE215 or Momentum IEMs and haven't had a problem, so in a sense I'm not so worried. Although, those are both dynamic so....

Thanks for the advice!

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #4,189 of 4,383
No problem mate. You could try the etymotic green filters which are the most neutral and the etymotic white filters which have less acoustic impedance which translates to better mid-range and treble and volume Imo. And yes both are free if ordered through etymotic customer support. ☺

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #4,190 of 4,383
No problem mate. You could try the etymotic green filters which are the most neutral and the etymotic white filters which have less acoustic impedance which translates to better mid-range and treble and volume Imo. And yes both are free if ordered through etymotic customer support. ☺

Excellent! Say some debris DID make it into the drivers.. what is the worst that could happen?

I like the overall sound without filters, except for the ear-piercing highs. I will get some green and white filters then.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,191 of 4,383
That's a good question. It's just an assumption, but if debris does get into the armature then I'll predict that sonic imperfections could be present maybe like distortion or other artifacts. The worst that could happen is shorter life span of the affected driver. Again I am not an expert on balanced armatures so these are just guesses. ☺

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #4,193 of 4,383
So I may be able to get a pair of these (UE900S) for a decent price. Have all the issues been sorted and current owners would you buy these again??

Cheers.

There are better iems for a similar price such as the noble 4. That's is subjective however. If you prefer clarity and detail then the noble 4 would be a better pick than the ue900. The ue900 has a warmer tone to it. Also, the ue900 lacks any warranty support anymore.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #4,194 of 4,383
Well take a look at rin chois Blog. Stock ue900 is nothing special, exceptional $100 to normal $200 IEMs compete with it, as you can read in this thread.
But if you add a 100 ohm resistor and block the pinhole, you get a nearly perfect neutral IEM.
Looks like the ue900 was designed to be high impedance but they lowered the impedance at the end to appeal to a greater audience.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #4,197 of 4,383
  Hey guys, I've just hit a major roadblock in my RMA.

I have a pair of UE900 (1245 series) that have the connector issue (audio intermittently cuts off). The black paint also peels off. I contacted Logitech support and they offered me an RMA.

But here's the issue:

The senior service support staff whom I spoke with said that UE900/UE900S are no longer in production and hence the RMA team is unable to offer that as a replacement.
They said they can offer the UE9000 headphones or UE MEGABOOM as a replacement instead.

I'm quite deeply disappointed because the UE900S is still listed on their website for sale, whereas the UE9000 (year 2012?) which they're offering instead, is no longer being produced.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Just in case you guys needed to know - I live and reside in Singapore, and my UE900 were purchased from the US.

Thanks.

Hi there, 

I too reside in Singapore (but bought from a local retail store) and experienced the same issues as you have. With the help of @Got the Shakes, I got in contact with them (Mar 2015) via http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/support and managed to get my UE 900 replaced.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #4,198 of 4,383

Hi there, 

I too reside in Singapore (but bought from a local retail store) and experienced the same issues as you have. With the help of @Got the Shakes, I got in contact with them (Mar 2015) via http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/support and managed to get my UE 900 replaced.

Thanks for replying. They did approve an RMA - but the issue now is that they no longer offer UE900/UE900S as replacements because they state that they are out of production. Henceforth they are offering Megaboom bluetooth speakers and UE9000 as substitutions. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #4,199 of 4,383
My re-400 haven't arrived yet so i had some time fooling around with the UE900. 
If you take a look at rin chois blog http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/2012/10/ultimate-ears-part3-in-depth-analysis.html
The UE900 have emphasised upper bass and veiled lower mids, which for example if you listen to Metal makes the Bass Drum and Bass Guitar a little bit bloated and decreases detail in the mids (e.g. there is a guitar solo but the low frequencies bleed over it). By blocking the Pinhole and adding resistance to the signal path, the Bass decreases and the mids increase and you end up with a nearly perfectly flat IEM.

after modification it looks like this:

I can confirm the effect, although it is not as much of a difference as it looks on the graphs, and i look forward to comparing the modded UE900 to the re-400!

I took the graphs from rin chois blog which is dead but if i should remove them, please tell me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back