Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #4,171 of 4,383
It really depends on what you're using your audio equipment for, the UE900 is portable and sounds great right off the bat, but has connector issues, and the stock cable isn't great, I replaced it with an aftermarket cable which vastly improved it's sound (greater sound stage depth and width, clearer mids and more textured bass). The UE9000 is wireless but seems kind of bulky, but it'll likely last longer since you can use it wired/wirelessly. I can't comment on sound since I haven't listened to them before. IMO, I'll stick with the UE900 because it's portable, and cables can always be used on another IEM (e.g. Shure) or re terminated for another connector (2-pin for sennheiser)

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #4,172 of 4,383

You can fix connector issue (audio intermittently cuts off) with this tube: http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITLiquid-squeeze-tube-100%25-solution/dp/B0015A5AAY. I had same problem before.
I believe that is true about they are no longer in production. UE900 was released in 2012, updated to S in 2014, now we are in 2016, they maybe will release a new earphone in this year or maybe they will leave this year UIEM market. However, what they are offering to you, it is unclear strategy if UE9000 is still in production.

Deoxit did not fix the connection issue on any of my pairs I had

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4,173 of 4,383
I am currently wondering if the connectors on the IEMs themselves are wearing out. Black cable already has temporary signal loss, blue cable hasn't but takes less and less force to disconnect from the Monitors. I have non-s 1243 btw

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #4,174 of 4,383
I am currently wondering if the connectors on the IEMs themselves are wearing out. Black cable already has temporary signal loss, blue cable hasn't but takes less and less force to disconnect from the Monitors. I have non-s 1243 btw

I had a 1243 as well, similar issues to yours. Wasn't able to get get it to work. Replacement cable didn't fix the problem completely.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #4,175 of 4,383
**HOW TO CLEAN PINHOLE BORE**

I have just come up with a great idea that works wonders for me! I noticed that a while back my pinhole bore on my left IEM had become somewhat clogged. I attempted to clean it with a copper wire, but pushed it much further in. I may have just come up with the best solution...

I took three individual copper wires, twisted them together and used them as an auger. Carefully turning the wire, the grooves act like an auger and pull the wax up the tube. Sometimes the wax will also stick to the grooves and come out that way.

Let me know if this helps anyone else?

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #4,178 of 4,383
Yeah, I personally moved on. Too bad because the 900/ 900s offer some great sound signature but I couldn't be bothered with all the issues.
I moved on to Denon AH-C120MA and I'm very happy with my decision. Sound quality isn't a downgrade, in fact they do some things better than the 900.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #4,179 of 4,383
Yeah, I personally moved on. Too bad because the 900/ 900s offer some great sound signature but I couldn't be bothered with all the issues.
I moved on to Denon AH-C120MA and I'm very happy with my decision. Sound quality isn't a downgrade, in fact they do some things better than the 900.

Whaaaaaaaat? I could get two pairs of these for the money i would get if i sold my half-broken UE900 right now 
eek.gif

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #4,180 of 4,383
Considering the trouble, you're just better off with the UE9000, the UE Boom is only when you need a portable, hardy speaker

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #4,181 of 4,383
Whaaaaaaaat? I could get two pairs of these for the money i would get if i sold my half-broken UE900 right now :eek:

Yeah I wasn't expecting much when I first got them but did some listening and found they have better soundstage, and very balanced sound. They are not colored at all but bass is good too. I like good punchy bass that isn't boomy. Build quality is excellent the mic is something I needed as well and it's superb. Denon did poorly when it comes to marketing. The package is cheesy and flat out ugly. Almost didn't get them because of this! Very happy overall and I got mine dirt cheap. They are different than the 900. It's the kind of earphones you can listen all day and never get tired. Overall I enjoy them a bit more, I really like the 900 but reliability was a big issue despite me baby them. Always in the carry case, never at the gym, used them just at work while sitting at my desk.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,184 of 4,383
So is it true that a really good single dynamic IEM will outperform the UE900 even if it costs much less?

Don't know if I can answer that from a technical stand point but dynamic IEMs are cheaper and generally speaking more reliable. When I put the 900 for the first time I liked the sound but there wasn't a wow factor. I have used good earphones and headphones prior to the 900 so maybe was a bit biased. The 900 offered me clear mids but after that pinbore hole got clogged up the sound had changed quite a bit. I think listening to music is all about fun, and yes I believe a good dynamic IEM can offer you just that.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #4,185 of 4,383
So is it true that a really good single dynamic IEM will outperform the UE900 even if it costs much less?

Well, dynamic driver have its own advantages and disadvantages. It can outperform UE900 in bass and soundstage, but none of any earphone with dynamic driver at UE900 price point can outperform it in instrument separation and speed. Especially if you upgrade UE900s cable at least for something like FiiO RC-SE1, but you need a good source device to get all of the UE900 sound.
If you use your earphones only with phones, I would recommend you to check out Audio-Technica ATH-IM70, it's dual dynamic earphone. It have a very big soundstage and very good bass. It also a little darker and vocal forward sounding earphone. I would say, it's like UE900, but have a better bass and soundstage and cost half of it price.
Check this topics: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698932/audio-technica-im50-im70-discussion-thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70, http://www.head-fi.org/t/751147/dual-dynamic-comparison-havi-ttpod-jvc-brainwavz
If you buy IM70, I would suggest you then change stock eartips for something like JVC Spiral Dots, it's really helps you improve the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back