greenmac

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Would be interested to learn if anyone has any opinions on these 2

Would be using a Ipod Classic and TTVJ Slim to listen to Apple Lossless

Cheers

jon

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 24
I have used both (although I had the vi version of the UE's) and returned them.

Good sound from the TF10's (better mids than the IE8's) but the highs were too shrill for my liking and made my ears hurt after prolonged use. Also the cable broke (as most people's do).

The IE8's are what I would compare to full size cans and have phenomenal bass for the size especially if listening to and dance, D&B, hip-hop etc (although sometimes I feel they become a bit muddied in the mids when listening to alt rock and indie music).

Hope that helps.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 24
I have the triple.fi pro's as well and had to get new cables within the first month.  They have amazing highs and decent mids with crisp fast bass, but it sounds a bit dry compared to the IE8.  The IE8 is definitely warmer sounding with the typical sennheiser sound and has more punch in the lower frequencies than the triple.fi.  I would say triple.fi is better if you listen to rock but IE8 is better all rounder. 

However, personally, I love my MTPC because I feel it's really well balanced with vibrant lush mids, punchy quick bass that extends with great highs (though not as sparkly as the triple.fi).  Also take a look at the SM3, because those sound delicious as well.  Sounds like the UE Super.Fi 5 Pros but just better all around, which is amazing.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Hi all

Would be interested to learn if anyone has any opinions on these 2

Would be using a Ipod Classic and TTVJ Slim to listen to Apple Lossless

Cheers

jon

Hi Jon:

I've owned both and would seriously say neither. For a balanced/neutral IEM I would recommend the SE535s and for a more fun IEM, the Westone 3s.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 24
The Earsonics SM3's beat both the IE8 and TF10, hands down. They have a nice neutral sound (give it a chance if you don't like it at first), good fit, and a great cable (similar to what Westone uses, which receives high accolades). I was borrowing them from a friend, and I was very sad when I had to return them 
frown.gif
 Maybe one of these days I'll have $350 to blow on a pair of IEMs...

However, the Triple.fi 10's are great IEMs. They just don't get enough credit (because of the fit issues). The fit issue can easily be resolved with the flip mod and Comply tips (you just gotta make sure the foam doesn't cover the nozzle, or you'll lose all the treble response).

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 24
Triple.fi 10's are less than half the price of SE535's, Westone 3's, and SM3's.  They're also a decent bit less than the IE8's.  For the price I would say that they are the best value.  However, comparing only their sound, I would say that TF10's are about on par with IE8's and maybe a little tiny bit under the SE535's and Westone 3's, provided that you can get a good seal which is difficult for some people because of the awkward shape.  Each one of those 4 headphones has a unique sound signature though, so depending on your preference you could easily find any of the 4 to be superior to the others.
In my opinion the SM3's are better than all 4 of those headphones, but that's just what I think.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 24
I have the UE Triple.fi 10 Pro's right now, and I was just thinking about switching to the IE8 since I never got fond of the BA sound.
I never liked the Westone 3's and Shure SE535's because they just sound too neutral to me.

But overall, the Triple.fi's are so cheap compared to the other top-tier earphones, so I think it's a good deal. (I got mine for $145 whereas the IE8 costs around $190.)

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 24
I have both the IE8 and TF10. IE8 have around 100 hours on them right now, still far from the 300-400 hours where must of the headfiers say they improve. I inititally bought the IE8 and then the TF10, and I honestly say that the IE8 beat hands down the TF10. Every kind of music including rock seems more natural and realistic. The difference is more obvious on classical instruments. The soundstage is clearly wider in the IE8 and the mid bass is not actually that bad because it helps to make the sounds fuller. The TF10 are clearer and sometimes offer more detail but it seems that there is a lot more coloration to the sound and sometimes seem artificial. That's why they seem good for electro/house music because of the nature of the music (computerized). On the other hand the TF10, if feet is not a problem, isolate better.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 24
I owned both and ended up keeping the ie8's.  I do admit that they have a bit too much midbass but you can always fix that with EQ (subtractive eq is much better than boosting a frequency).  The tf10's are a bit more detailed and it left me wanting more highs in my ie8's so I bought a custom cable on ebay for them.  I can say that while it made the highs more pronounced on the ie8's that it still isn't piercing to my ears like the tf10's (that's a good thing).  Not only that but it got rid of that veil like sound and gave the ie8's a more 3d like presentation. 

I chose the ie8's because of these reasons:

-They are easier to put in and take out of your ears.  With the sony hybrid medium green tips I get a pretty good seal almost instantly.

-The sound stage is bigger.  Don't get me wrong though as the sound stage on the tf10's is pretty wide too. 

-The ie8's, although aren't the sexiest things, look better than the tf10 and can actually be worn in public without looking dumb.

-The ie8 stock cable is way better than the tf10 stock cable.  You can always upgrade the tf10 cable for less than $50 though. 

-The tf10 uses different drivers (balanced armature) than the ie8's (dynamic).  I honestly just like how a dynamic driver produces the bass frequencies.  It's been a few months since I've had my tf10's but balanced armatures are a bit more detailed.

On the other hand the tf10 was attainable for $100 and for that price you really can't go wrong with it.  If you got it at that price then you could get it custom shelled for a total cost around the ie8.  I've never owned a custom tf10 but it would definitely fix their fit issues that everyone, including myself, talks about.  I'm not exactly sure how the custom route would effect the sound the sound of the tf10 but it seems to have gotten a lot of mixed results on here.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 24
TF10 hands down for its bang4bucks
IMO IE8 is over priced for its performance
But I personally enjoy turbine pro copper more than both of that, and even a bit more than westone 3

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 24
Initially, I felt the same way about the IE8's; but the burn-in myth is definitely real with the IE8's. They went from sounding like crappy bose IEM's, to full set of expensive cans. I can confidently say this because my friend let me sample his pair from the day he got them, and gave them back to me when he burned them in for a few hundred hrs (I never had a chance to mentally accomodate myself to its SS). between my headphones, I currently find them more appealing than my Coppers and MD's; however, I may still be in my "honeymoon" phase, and my preference may change over time
wink.gif

Quote:
TF10 hands down for its bang4bucks
IMO IE8 is over priced for its performance
But I personally enjoy turbine pro copper more than both of that, and even a bit more than westone 3

I mostly agree with all of you on between the IE8 and TF10's, but I personally nudge the table closer(virtually 50/50 with my preference) to the TF10's because they isolate better and can sound rediculously sweet when the armatures are fully saturated (low volume seems to starve the dual lows). Although a lot of people have issues with the TF10's fit and the sound you get from a poor seal will make them sound like cheap headphones. The IE8's are far more forgiving when it comes to seal and sound. You can order refurb IE8's from Dakmart for ~170. If you dont mind a quality second hand, they are an excellent buy. I think the IE8's are great for every-day listening and offer, what I would consider, a full-size headphone experience. I would likely reccomend them over the TF10's to someone who doesnt plan to own several high-end headphones; like some of us around here
biggrin.gif

If you want fit and comfort, I'd give the card to the IE8's
If you want Isolation and vibrant highs, get the TF10's; also can be re-shelled into customs, which is a huge bonus for me

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 24
IE8 > TF10 by a long shot. Mids, bass & soundstage are much better on the IE8's. They're also more durable, have double the warranty period, are more comfortable & physically appealing than the TF10s. Plus, with the way UE/Logitech has been gutting its universal line, I wouldnt be surprised if they just ditch the TF10 in the near future all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back