Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi Replacement Cable?
Feb 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

LostChild1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I love my Triple.Fi's, but recently when I bend with my iPod in my pocket or the cable gets shifted even just a little bit I'll lose sound in my RIGHT monitor.

I don't exactly feel comfortable cutting open the cable myself to try and fix it, but if I had the proper instructions I might be able to give it a shot.

My more viable solution however, is getting a replacement cable. I know that UE makes a cable but I've also heard that OTHER manufacturers make replacement cables too. Which ones are they? And do they fit the UE Triple.Fi 10's?

Or am I just best to stick to ordering Ultimate Ears proprietary cable?

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 35
Yeah there are a couple of replacement cables on the net just google/yahoo around.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 35
I bought a cable from null audio when I killed my stock cables on my TripFi's.

I like the sound out of them (to my ears, a little clearer), and they're more comfortable over the ears than the horrible hard plastic of the UE cables.

I can also attest to great service. I popped the headphones fully in my pocket (I'd been drinking
frown.gif
) and a connector broke. A quick email is all it took, and I popped them in the post for them to be repaired on warranty. The connector came back beefier, with the setup that is now the standard (I got mine a while back, so the design was still being refined).

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 35
I also bought the Null Audio cable and I think it is a great upgrade, IMHO the TripleFi's potential exceeds the performance of the stock cable. And their customer service sounds impressive.

I bought an upgrade cable from another manufacturer and when I had to remove it from the IEMs in order to return the cable to manufacturer because of a defective plug, the connector for the right earphone got bent. The defective plug was covered by the warranty, but I was charged $40 for the repair of the connector. I willingly paid the $40, but I can't help thinking that if the plug had not been defective, I would not have damaged the connector removing the cable in order to send it back.

Null Audio's response to PWilson's situation make me optimistic about future dealings with them. I am currently contemplating getting my ESW10's rewired.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhnhyouh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you guys get the memory wire on the Null Audio cables?

The cable I received has a single layer for just around the ears. I heard they used to have sleeving and it can add if requested. IIRC, the sleeving was removed because of microphonics.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you buy a new cable, make sure to treat it nicely. bending, twisting and pulling spells doom to the life of any cable and headphone. be nice and they will treat you nice!

Trust me, I've been as nice as I can be.
biggrin.gif
As a college student, buying a pair of 400 dollar headphones is no small feat or investment. The headphones are very literally either in my ears or in their case. But alas, it's the connector between the plug to the iPod and right to the cable that is proving the be the problem (I keep the ipod in my pocket, or jacket pocket)

But Null Audio sounds good, and you've all had good experiences with em. So I may as well do that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it hard to replace the cable yourself?

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 35
Null Audio cable is soo expensive.
Not really that difficult just unplug both cables and plug in the new cable!

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Null Audio cable is soo expensive.
Not really that difficult just unplug both cables and plug in the new cable!

Meh, I figure it's either a solid 30 bucks for the regular UE cable (which seems to be sold out in a lot of places.) or I can just spend 69 and get a "superior" cable that should hopefully last for a long while.
biggrin.gif
And heck, I have a birthday coming up :p
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 35
I just broke my wire the same way you described it, and after looking up for a better cable that UE's i found and purchased
http://www.westone.com/catalog/elite-series-monitor-replacement-cables

it takes a bit to fit in, but not only the cable is way better (it comes in three colors)  it also provide better brights (due to higher quality os cable material and connector)

try it

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 35
I'm looking for a replacement cable for my Triple.Fi 10 that has the iPod Shuffle/iPhone controls along with a mic on the cord. Any company selling something like that?

And I don't mean a cord from the Triple.Fi 10vi but more like a cord from Klipsch X10i.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
I'm looking for a replacement cable for my Triple.Fi 10 that has the iPod Shuffle/iPhone controls along with a mic on the cord. Any company selling something like that?

And I don't mean a cord from the Triple.Fi 10vi but more like a cord from Klipsch X10i.

I had a quick look around and it doesn't look like any where sells any thing like that which would be compatible with the triples. I think people are diy'ing them lol

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 35
I second the Westone ES cable suggestion. Been using it for almost a month already. It's very much worth your money since it's far more flexible than the stock UE cable for the TF10s. Also, it opens up a lil' bit the mids without necessarily degrading the TF10s' high-frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back