Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi Replacement Cable?
Nov 27, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 35
i just bought two UE triple fi 10's for $94 a piece at amazon for the black friday deal.
awesome price right?
one for a christmas present and one for myself.
but i hear a lot of complaints about the cable breaking so I am planning to buy replacement cables for both now as well.
and i'm thinking of getting the westone ones because they're half the price of the null audio ones.
but as mentioned above by soundcraft, is it hard to replace them with the UE's?
becuase he said it takes a bit to fit in.
i dont want to mess up and break everything...haha.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #18 of 35
Do the Whiplash Audio cables fit these?
RC

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #22 of 35
If the Westone custom cables fit, then any custom cable should fit with that standard pin config.  I have the newer Ultimate Ears custom cable and it is really nice.  The weave is tight, and looks really cool.  It doesn't have memory wire and its flexible.  So, if the older style UE standard cables are the same, they are really nice.  Plus it has a small UE logo on it to match your triple.fi.  When my triple.fi units come in, I'll see if the newer style stuff fits.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #25 of 35
The Westone Es cable comes highly recommended by many people here.  I bought it and love it.  Its braided and super soft and flexible.  You just have to clip the pins a little with a regular wire clipper handtool.  Earphones sultions has a 20% off coupon till tomorrow so they are like $28 after shipping.
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-replacement-cables.html with code CYBER2010

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #26 of 35
When you say we need to clip the pins, you mean length wise or from the side because they are spaced too far/close?

I am sure this will be apparent once I have them in my hands, but some more info would be great.

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 35
length wise... they are just a bit too long.  the spacing is fine.  Normal tin snips will work.  Just take a very small amount off both pins... one at a time but do it one right after the other so you can guage with your eyes and your memory on how much you took off.  Then plug them in (they will be tough to get in because the pins are a little thicker than the stock cable pins).  If they are still sticking out too far, take them out and give them another snip.

Be warned, when you use something other than the stock cable, the pins are thicker and you will enlarge the socket.  This is ok but know that you will have to continue to use something other than the stock cable because the hole has been stretched too big.  The stock cable won't fit tight enough anymore.  But trust me, once you switch to the Westone Es (or any other cable) you will not want to go back to the stock UE cable.

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #28 of 35
Thanks shamanstar for the info. I just placed an order for two replacement cables. 

If I don't own any tin snips can i use like a nail file to file down the pins?

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #29 of 35
I am pretty sure you can file them down but definitely do not file the sides of the pins bcz that will just create an uneven surface.  A nail file will take a long time... you would have to use a metal file.  If you go to the hardware store, you can find a cheap tool to snip wire.  I'm sure a neighbor would have one you can borrow or something :)

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #30 of 35
Oh i see you are in california... if you are my neighbor, I can do it for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back