Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Apr 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #6,406 of 9,690

Quote:

Yeah I have a sunricky cable on my TF10s, you get what you pay for but it is a definite improvement on the horrific stock cable. 

My FiiO is a badass cable, its in the same price range as the Furutech cables on ebay. Its in no way a get what you pay for type of cable.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #6,407 of 9,690

Quote:
Anyone here makes replacement cables on orders? My stock cable just broke... again :frowning2:

Need to get a better replacement this time around!

I know this sounds strange, and some might be averse to the idea, but I used Future Sonics' Ear Monitors cables on my TF10, and I'm quite liking the advantages it has over the stock cable. They aren't very pricey from Future Sonics either, and come in a variety of lengths, in clear, brown, beige and black.

These are the pros:
1. No memory effect
It's a braided cable. It literally disappears when I use the TF10s to monitor when I play drums.

2. Microphonics
Again, because it's braided and so light, microphonics are kept to a minimum.

3. Sound signature changes
Now this is an area that is debatable, but I've found that the treble is reduced in sibilance, the mids come forward, and the bass response goes a little lower. In other words, the signature gets a tad bit warmer with these cables. I've actually had the chance to do an A-B test on my TF10s with these cables, versus a pair of TF10s with the stock cable, and I really hear the difference.

4. Build quality
It's a whole lot better than the stock cable that comes with the TF10 in this respect. The memory cable area is well built with heat shrink like most typical CIEM cables are. Strain relief at the Y-junction and L-shaped jack is as you would aspect from such cables too.

Perhaps the one and only con is that it uses a Westone-style connector, which means the pins are slightly larger than the UE pins. I personally don't have a qualm with that, but if you're particular, the caveat to consider is that once you use Westone connector cables on the TF10, you won't be able to go back to UE connectors; your sockets will be loose after that. 

Cheerios, hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #6,408 of 9,690
I had no idea FiiO had TF10 cables until now. Guess thats what I am getting :) 

Where did you order them from?

Quote:
My FiiO is a badass cable, its in the same price range as the Furutech cables on ebay. Its in no way a get what you pay for type of cable.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #6,409 of 9,690
Apr 19, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #6,411 of 9,690
I just received my first pair of TF10's last week and haven't been able to put them down.. I've gone with the flip fitment, my ears have slowly become acoustomed to the fit and I now find them quite comfortable. They have a near perfect sound signiture for me when used with my X-series.. just amazing, worth every penny and then some!

Some observations:

I get a very good a seal with the large tips but it just makes them far too bassy and muddy which is quite strange, the bass increases by about a factor of about 3.. way, way too much!. It seems that they have been acousticly tuned for an incomplete seal probably due to the nature of the universal fit which itself means that a large percentage of the population simply wont be able to get a great seal with the TF10's remaining comfortable.
I get very good results from my home made foam tips which allows them to breath a little keeping them airy, spacious and better balanced, they are also pretty good soundwise with the UE medium silicon tips.
If I was UE I'd make the nozzles a little thinner to make them more comfortable for a larger percentage of users and probably design a slidable tiny V-shaped acoustic bass port which covered a triangular prism shaped void which itself contained layered variable density foam angled/facing in such a direction that sliding the slider back would allow the accoustic damping to be adjusted in a linear fashon to have some control of the bass. Both these modifications would allow more users to get yourself a great tip seal (due to the thinner nozzles) yet still be able to control the sound signiture to some extent.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #6,412 of 9,690
Thanks for the impressions Ari33! I can't wait to get mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #6,413 of 9,690

Quote:
I got mine from Amazon, its lower priced from B&H. It does not have memory wire, just so you know. I use the chin slider, so I am fine with the lack of memory wire.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834123-REG/Fiio_RC_UE1_RC_UE1_Replacement_Cable_for.html

Do you know if thats the new batch of Fiio cables? There was a recall recently and not sure if they got them replaced

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586587/impression-fiio-rc-ue1-replacement-cable-for-ultimate-ear/15#post_8271910

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #6,414 of 9,690
Apr 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #6,415 of 9,690
Quote:

Yeah I have a sunricky cable on my TF10s, you get what you pay for but it is a definite improvement on the horrific stock cable. 

If anyone cares, those Furutech cables are knockoffs and Furutech does not make IEM cords. I have one and theyre good to purchase if you want a cable thats thinner, but just know the brand isnt legit

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #6,416 of 9,690

Quote:
If anyone cares, those Furutech cables are knockoffs and Furutech does not make IEM cords. I have one and theyre good to purchase if you want a cable thats thinner, but just know the brand isnt legit

Of course they're not legit Furutech, but a home-made knock-off cable appears to be superior to a genuine UE stock cable in every way (except maybe the size of the Pailiccs jack making it difficult to plug in with a cover on a smartphone) so I'm completely ok with it. In saying that, I'm sure a wire coat hanger straightened out would be superior to a UE stock cable in every way too so...

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #6,420 of 9,690

Quote:

I'm still using my stock cable, and it's not that bad when in warm weather. It's horrendous once it hits 50 degrees outside though. Stiffness goes up 30-fold.

Wow that sounded really wrong...

Great post, do you know the huge can of worms you just opened up? Now people are only going to recommend certain cables depending on the weather where the person lives.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back