Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Nov 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #3,302 of 9,690
I have had mine for about an hour. Haven't tried foam yet, but with the rubber tips it seems like the medium is too big for my left ear and the small is too small for my right.

I can definitely see what people are talking about with regards to the clarity in these things. You can follow the background instruments as closely as you want. There are a couple of songs which I used to not care much for but really enjoyed with these.

Obviously these are just very rough first impressions, but I think they have more bass than my HD 580s. Overall I am very happy with the sound so far. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #3,304 of 9,690
AFAIK, IEMs generally don't break in the way dynamics do. Then again, there are people who break in AC cables and swear by it, so who knows? I have read a couple of reviews where the review said that the sound changed over time, but this could be placebo or the owner themselves just getting accustomed to the sound.

Quote:
do these IEMs require break in? so far have been excellent (1+ hour)

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #3,305 of 9,690
Is there anything wrong with wearing these upside down (not around the ears cables coming down directly from ear....its the only way i can get them to sound great and not fall out of my ears...? (i made my own post but i figure faster to post here) someone recommended re-shelling....

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #3,306 of 9,690
I think it will change the sound at least a little bit. I think I read someone mention that either way you need to make sure that both ears are the same direction.

Since you only just got them, maybe try wearing them wire up for a while to see if you can make it work.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #3,307 of 9,690
So that "airplane adapter" that comes with them, is that basically a P to S cable? Does it change the sound signature for the better(or worse) or is it really just for when you have no choice but to use a bad source?

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #3,308 of 9,690

AFAIK, IEMs generally don't break in the way dynamics do. Then again, there are people who break in AC cables and swear by it, so who knows? I have read a couple of reviews where the review said that the sound changed over time, but this could be placebo or the owner themselves just getting accustomed to the sound.

I agree; IEMs don't really benefit that much from burn in like dynamic driver and full sized headphones do; most of the change in sound comes from your ears getting accustomed to the sound signature.

A lot of people get mid oriented IEMs like the SE535s or the UM3Xs and say they sound muddy at first then clear up. It's really them just getting accustomed to the sound signature.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #3,309 of 9,690
Hey everyone.  Long-time lurker here.  I was one of the lucky ones to get in on the Amazon TF10 deal.  I received mine an hour ago, and immediately set them upon my audio reference playlist.  There's no question I hear the accuracy and spaciousness that most have written about.  And they couldn't be any more different from my other three other 'phones:  Maximo iM-590, Etymotic ER-4S, and AKG K701s (my favorite).  To me the mids are overwhelming the treble.  Maybe I'll need to play around with the fit, or simply give my ears a couple of weeks to get used to the sound signature.  Even after an hour, I'm appreciating them more and more.  But my initial impressions have not led to the eargasms I was expecting. 

I'll keep at it.  I'm sure it'll eventually snap in.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3,310 of 9,690
I was thinking about purchasing the
Ultimate Ears 600                               http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/600
OR
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi                   http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/superfi-5vi

Which do you recommend and your opinions on the ultimate ears? I'm on a 100 dollar budget ~~~~
Feel Free to suggest other earphones, but can you guys please help me choose?
Haha THANKS!

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #3,312 of 9,690
Really? To me, the TF10 have recessed mid in comparison to the RE-0

Quote:
 To me the mids are overwhelming the treble.  Maybe I'll need to play around with the fit, or simply give my ears a couple of weeks to get used to the sound signature.  Even after an hour, I'm appreciating them more and more.  But my initial impressions have not led to the eargasms I was expecting.   
I'll keep at it.  I'm sure it'll eventually snap in.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #3,313 of 9,690
After listening to a couple of classical pieces:

They definitely have more bass than my HD 580s.
I think the 580s will always have the advantage in terms of soundstage and "fullness" of sound. 
I am able to pick out details that I had never noticed before on my Sennheisers. In many cases the extra detail adds considerably to the listening experience.
Having not used IEMs in a long time, I sometimes find myself being surprised by the ability of something so small to produce such big sound.

Now I am wishing to get headphones that give me the best of both worlds: like the HD 580s but more detailed and with better bass.

I really don't think you can do much better than the Triple Fi's for $95 though, very happy with the purchase. I originally just bought them because I wanted something portable, but they sound quite impressive even compared to bigger, heavier, harder to drive and more expensive over the ear headphones.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #3,314 of 9,690

Quote:
I agree; IEMs don't really benefit that much from burn in like dynamic driver and full sized headphones do; most of the change in sound comes from your ears getting accustomed to the sound signature. A lot of people get mid oriented IEMs like the SE535s or the UM3Xs and say they sound muddy at first then clear up. It's really them just getting accustomed to the sound signature.

Just to be clear on this, "IEM" and "dynamic driver" are not mutually exclusive.  There are plenty of IEMs which use dynamic drivers instead and many others which use balanced armatures.  Many people here changes after burn-in of dynamic drivers, and do not hear much change (if any) after burn-in of BAs.  The TF10s use 3 BAs, and for me the sound hasn't changed noticeably after >200 hours of use.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #3,315 of 9,690
How is the midrange compared to the Meelectronics M6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back