Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Mar 2, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #9,601 of 9,690
With the death of my last pair of Brainwavz B2's I've been on the hunt for some new good earphones and the TripleFi 10's are still appealing. I can grab a pair for the same price as a Dunu DN-1000 @ about £130.

My RE-400's and RE-00's are great for some things but rather lacklustre in comparison to the B2's that spoiled me with Comply tamed detail.

For the £130 (current equivalent of 160 USD), what are the best choices out there and at that price, is the TF10 still one of those?

£130 new is a fair deal. If used, they're a bit on the expensive side.

I've been watching TF10 sales on eBay for a few years now, but never reached the wallet to get one (yet). I might one day if I find a really good price, according to some it's still a very competitive product.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #9,602 of 9,690
So the plastic bit where the tip goes on finally came off on the left earpiece of my trusty old TF10's. Not sure what happened and can't even find it to glue it back on. As I understand the only way to save those are to get them reshelled into CIEMs, which I'm not totally inclined to do due to the cost associated. They still work just fine so if anyone's interested in having a pair to reshell, they'll go up on the FS forum at some point later today or tmr. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #9,603 of 9,690
And sound impressions after changing the driver?

Nice mod! How does it sound?

Always impressive to see all the components of a multi-driver setting.

This far, compared to stock 530 it sounding more open, and more v shaved.
All normal sounding, and I like it.
Stock 530 has warmer house sound

So the plastic bit where the tip goes on finally came off on the left earpiece of my trusty old TF10's. Not sure what happened and can't even find it to glue it back on. As I understand the only way to save those are to get them reshelled into CIEMs, which I'm not totally inclined to do due to the cost associated. They still work just fine so if anyone's interested in having a pair to reshell, they'll go up on the FS forum at some point later today or tmr. 

Well I now always use touchscreen glue for all my modded iem/earbuds.
Easy to apply, clear glue, and easy to clean up the residue.
Just make sure you clamp the glued parts for one night until it perfectly sticking.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #9,604 of 9,690

I've been watching TF10 sales on eBay for a few years now, but never reached the wallet to get one (yet). I might one day if I find a really good price, according to some it's still a very competitive product.

Thanks for the info.

£130 is a manufacturer refurb, full retail package. Tempting... Especially as I loved the BA speed and I'm a mostly rock/metal man with some violin-heavy stuff, pop and not bass heavy electronic type music.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #9,605 of 9,690
Part of the casing of my TF10s cracked so I'm thinking about reshelling. Are these IEMs still worth reshelling?

Also where are some good places to do it. I'm in the US.

I'm looking at InEarz and UM, but anywhere else? And what's with the discerning price difference in the services. I'm seeing a range of $125 to $300 usd.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #9,606 of 9,690
  Part of the casing of my TF10s cracked so I'm thinking about reshelling. Are these IEMs still worth reshelling?

Also where are some good places to do it. I'm in the US.

I'm looking at InEarz and UM, but anywhere else? And what's with the discerning price difference in the services. I'm seeing a range of $125 to $300 usd.

I went to InEarz to do mine about 3 years ago.  Still enjoying it till today.  It's my profile picture!  At the time InEarz was the cheapest so I went with them.  I don't really see a difference where you get your TF10s reshelled.  No matter who you go with, it's not like they're changing the drivers so they'll likely sound the same.  If you were worried about Inearz because they're one of the cheaper ones, don't be.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #9,607 of 9,690
Need some advice,l'm looking to ebay my TF10 in the near future because l have not used them in years.I tried them on just to check they are working okay,found out the the stock cable can distort the sound if twist it and needs changing.

My dilemma is should l sell 'as is' and let the buyer change the cable ?

Or 

Buy chepest replacement cable,replace it and pass on the cost to the buyer ?

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #9,608 of 9,690

new and unused for less money:
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/ultimate-ears-10-197930328/

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #9,610 of 9,690
am i missing something? I have had these for years now, i use comply tips with a fiio cable, and i just never got good quality off these. i hardly use them, but then again, i don't use many iems, all mine are crap. (s4i, and some other random UE) is there some EQ tuning i can do? i upped the 6-8k since they seemed muted, but other than that, i just never got along with these iems. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #9,611 of 9,690
  am i missing something? I have had these for years now, i use comply tips with a fiio cable, and i just never got good quality off these. i hardly use them, but then again, i don't use many iems, all mine are crap. (s4i, and some other random UE) is there some EQ tuning i can do? i upped the 6-8k since they seemed muted, but other than that, i just never got along with these iems. 

What source are you using? The Triple.Fi 10 is a diva when it comes to output impedance and will sound dark if the source doesn't have a low output impedance.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #9,613 of 9,690
@jfettlol

What exactly don't you like about the Triple.Fi 10 (other than that the 6-8 kHz range seems muted to you)?

Have you tried using the Triple.Fi 10 with silicone tips instead of the foamies?

By the way, your description of the upper middle/lower upper treble appearing muted doesn't really fit to what the Triple.Fi 10 should sound like - and the Mojo isn't responsible for that for sure (it isn't measuring 100% linearly with the UE, however the way you described the sound you get in the upper range isn't related to that).
I suspect two things to be the reason for that - either the FiiO cable's resistance is higher than the cable the Triple.Fi 10 originally came with, or the foam tips are muffling this range somewhat (which is also something I have experienced). Or a combination of both.

It could well be that a part of what you don't like about this in-ear is that its midrange is quite recessed and a bit hollow, as well as that its soundstage doesn't have any real depth despite being rather wide.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #9,614 of 9,690
i tried them again with the little screen poked out of a pair of comply tips, definite improvement in treble, but alas, like you alluded to, the mids are too recessed/hollow for me. i can't even find the silicone tips, none ever fit me, they always popped out of my ear. they work well for some music (I found edm/dnb/etc very fitting), but I might just be seeking more from IEM's at this point, as I've gotten very accustom to headphones. i love the intimate sound (again, these are really my best pair of iems, i have alot to learn on this side), but perhaps someone else can appreciate these more, maybe i'll just put em up for sale, i never really used them much.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #9,615 of 9,690
So what's a good cable to get for about 50-60usd/ Might extend a bit more if it's worth it. My Fiio cable is now busted and I don't want to get the Fiio cable again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back