Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Apr 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #3,706 of 9,690
But... clear ones change color over time... some turn green, others yellow...

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #3,707 of 9,690
I have a pure copper LOD, but have a pure silver one being delivered. Currently using the very portable ibasso, so don't mind carrying a slim amp, looking at the Arrow next. Going to A/B copper and silver LODs and see if it makes sense going copper to silver for the actual cable, I do realise that the LODs are much shorter in length to the cables but, I think it might still make a meaningful comparison.

Although part of me thinks that we are trying to change the signature TF10 sound through various upgrades and accessories, which is why I've also ordered SM3s, to use for more vocal and some of the treble intense tracks I listen to. I will definitely not be leaving my TF10s though, I've got custom eartips on them that make them a delight to wear which don't really work with the SM3s.

You make a very interesting point on braided wire Mad Max, I've always heard the opposite to what you said. Isn't braided wire supposed to reduce the skin effect of conductors? Why do you think braided cable should be avoided?

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #3,708 of 9,690
In my experience, braiding kills soundstage, clarity, and detail.  It's like adding crappy, passive crossfeed or something.  I've read about people throwing around this "skin effect", personally I think it's hogwash.
It may be true, but it seems to be the only reason to go with Litz-like braiding, at the cost of a number of other factors as far as sound.  I will need many reasons not to go with twisted pair like pros do.  In fact, the head-fiers who have recommended braiding recommend it for when you go four conductors per channel.  You do two four-conductor braids (one per channel) then twist the two braids together.  Otherwise, I say twisted pair for a four-wire stereo cable.  You don't want to bottleneck unnecessarily the already small difference cables make... well, in my opinion.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3,709 of 9,690
I see, just out of curiosity, is there a reason why it kills soundstage etc? Litz braiding is proven to reduce the skin effect in certain applications, this is not to imply that the actual braiding we get is "litz", but I've never heard any scientific reasons why it would be detrimental so far, as I have opted for some braiding on my new LOD (which may have been a mistake)

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #3,710 of 9,690
It increases crosstalk.  Bad for the soundstage.  Bad for other aspects of the sound, it seems to me.  I'm not saying that is all there is to it, I've told you my observations.  With twisted pair done correctly, the ground wires separate the signal wires from each other slightly throughout the entire length of the cable, which seems to make all the difference.

May 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #3,712 of 9,690
UPDATE: Just got my replacement cable from UE in the mail today (free replacement under warranty). It was slightly delayed due to the fact that the cables were on back order, and they must have been out of the standard cables because they sent me a TF10vi cable! (That's the one with the mic and remote for the iPhone/other smartphone). It works with my enV touch as well, but the music player on it is terrible so I never use it (and the high noise-floor creates background hiss that is often louder than the music itself). Now I understand why everyone raves about UE's customer service 
etysmile.gif

Also, the vi cable is much nicer than the original TF10 cable, notably the rubber on the outside is softer and the memory wire isn't as rigid (makes it easier to adjust).

May 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #3,713 of 9,690
Same here... Still quite impressed whenever i go back to them, but my still minty Ed8s are THE phones now :)

Quote:
Loved my TF10s when i first got them, but its time to move on. Going full headphones.

May 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #3,714 of 9,690
Just joined the 10pro party ~

So sad to hear from post #1 has moved to Westone ><

May 8, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #3,715 of 9,690

Quote:
Just joined the 10pro party ~

So sad to hear from post #1 has moved to Westone ><

Welcome and enjoy them! Well, at least we have the ease of simply replacing any broken cables unlike the Westone 3 that he has switched to~ Silver cables and a suitable amp that matches your player would help bring out the mids should you need more of them :)

May 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #3,716 of 9,690
I've had mine for almost 3 years now and they're awesome and I've always loved their sound. Also got some great customer service, the original cable broke and since I'm in Canada and you can't order off of their site, they sent me not one but two new cables. They've always been great except for the crackling in the left earphone at certain frequencies over the past month or so 
frown.gif

May 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #3,717 of 9,690
I bought them from some other owner who has recabled them, yet due to convenience i might buy the stock cable for the mic. hmm

May 17, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #3,720 of 9,690

Quote:
Guys, is getting a better cable for them worth it?

the short answer - YES to my ears atleast. i have NullAudio Lune cable & i could discern better everything but the main thing that hit me are the better & more forward mids. all in all, a worthwhile endeavor if u can get one used for <$40.

Quote:
Its not if you can get an amp with the same money. It should really be the last thing you upgrade, unless you just want something that looks better, because that's at least guaranteed.

agreed. to my ears, my Lune cabled TF10 doesnt require an amp to sound good either of a sansa fuze or a sony s616. whats more important is getting the 'correct' tip. for me, its a reverse medium black olive. removed the bottom blub & tighten up the bass (of a comply tip) & also significantly reduces the treble sharpness (of a silicon tip) - basically i got the best of both worlds. 

try it & be amazed! i was
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back