Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #137 of 213
Quote:
  Well, TI owns Burr-Brown.  

Yes, precisely. I guess I didn't word it clearly; I meant that Burr-Brown has their parent company TI to depend on for lithography facilities. They can easily do laser trimming, whereas UE must contract with another company, and for low volumes as well. After all, customs aren't made by the wafer. I think the main issue is volume. It's just a lot more annoying to tell someone to make exactly one resistor J-cut to 4.5678 ohms and another one to 8.7654 ohms.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about:

I can't imagine UE actually bought one of these machines for themselves (though it's possible probable Logitech has one, or several)​

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #138 of 213
Just tried out this setup at the UE HQ. Wow... very interesting.

I blew out my right eardrum scuba diving a couple of years ago. I've never been able to get the sound to be balanced quite right before. Even using equalization and DACs didn't make it sound right. The UE box did though. I can't wait for my PRM to come now!

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #139 of 213

I blew out my right eardrum scuba diving a couple of years ago. I've never been able to get the sound to be balanced quite right before. Even using equalization and DACs didn't make it sound right. The UE box did though. I can't wait for my PRM to come now!

Been waiting for Jude's impressions and comments on these. Now eagerly awaiting your feedback as well.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #140 of 213
Quote:

How much did you pay for it?

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #141 of 213
Quote:
Been waiting for Jude's impressions and comments on these. Now eagerly awaiting your feedback as well.

I'll give a counterpoint and here it is: I did not find the UEPRM to be a "wow". Don't get me wrong, I thought the 5-driver custom was great when I listened and I thought and still think that it's an improvement over the UE IERM. And I already liked the UE IERM. However, it's a nice custom with some minor, seriously minor scope for making small adjustments to the sound. So, you can see how that might not be some extraordinary thing.

People who have some one-sided deafness, etc., it could be very nice, but again, THE ADJUSTMENTS YOU CAN MAKE ARE MINOR. It is not eq, rather, you get to adjust the impedance curve (iirc) a bit via over-simplified controls.

Did I mention the adjustments to the sound are relatively minor? Just making sure that's clear! And I did like the new 5-driver a lot, but it's not extraordinary. It was fun to play with the impedance curve, just not really a huge effect on the sound. Some effect, yes, but minor.

So, if you think that what I've described is worth $2000 to you, then go for it. Otherwise, don't get caught up in it without thinking it through.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #142 of 213
Meow meow meow~

Why UE doesn't update their current UERM to 5 drivers and co-operate again with Capitol Studo? 

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #143 of 213
Quote:
Meow meow meow~

Why UE doesn't update their current UERM to 5 drivers and co-operate again with Capitol Studo? 

tongue.gif

That is pretty much exactly the question I asked them!

I think they should have an option to buy the 5-driver custom without the user impedance adjustment.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #144 of 213
Ya, with cheaper price and easy selling as second hand CIEM to new owner. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #145 of 213
Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but is there a way to "reset" the EQ settings to factory defaults? The problem I can imagine is that people may fiddle with the EQ settings but completely wreck the sound, but be unable to get it back to before they fiddled with it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #146 of 213
Quote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but is there a way to "reset" the EQ settings to factory defaults? The problem I can imagine is that people may fiddle with the EQ settings but completely wreck the sound, but be unable to get it back to before they fiddled with it.

The "EQ" selection is done before you get your customized version.  You listen to the demo and adjust it.  You can at any time compare it with the baseline sound.  The methodology allows for people with different hearing conditions to get what they think sounds best.  I would advise bringing headphones/IEMs you think sound they way you want the PRM to sound and also compare with that as a standard.

Once you decide, they will make your CIEM, and if you decide you don't like the final tuning, UE will work with you to get it right.  They want satisfied customers.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #147 of 213
Quote:

Average_Joe answered well, but let me say it's not EQ. You'll have the wrong idea if you think of it as EQ.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #148 of 213
Quote:

The "EQ" selection is done before you get your customized version.  You listen to the demo and adjust it.  You can at any time compare it with the baseline sound.  The methodology allows for people with different hearing conditions to get what they think sounds best.  I would advise bringing headphones/IEMs you think sound they way you want the PRM to sound and also compare with that as a standard.

Once you decide, they will make your CIEM, and if you decide you don't like the final tuning, UE will work with you to get it right.  They want satisfied customers.

That's pretty much what I thought how it would work. but the thing is the sound will still based on the baseline sound of UERM.  So you have to firstly like the original sound of UERM first and then modify it. because they can't simply make the IEMs sound like any headphones in the world.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #149 of 213
Quote:
tongue.gif

That is pretty much exactly the question I asked them!

I think they should have an option to buy the 5-driver custom without the user impedance adjustment.

Kunlun,

How they answered your question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back