Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Aug 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #166 of 213
Weird... UE has removed this UEPRM from their website... :confused_face_2:

Not the only popular product to disappear from the Logitech/UE website this week. It looks like the Squeezebox Touch and Transporter have also been DC'ed. :mad:

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #167 of 213
Quote:
Weird... UE has removed this UEPRM from their website... 
confused_face_2.gif

I've sent an email asking what's up?

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #174 of 213
Technically the PRM is very competent, although I still have more A/Bing to do.  It cleans up the UE IERM presentation and has at least equal soundstage space and imaging with better focus.  I need to spend more time A/Bing the PRM before I want to go on record with any absolutes in terms of performance.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #175 of 213
Quote:
Technically the PRM is very competent, although I still have more A/Bing to do.  It cleans up the UE IERM presentation and has at least equal soundstage space and imaging with better focus.  I need to spend more time A/Bing the PRM before I want to go on record with any absolutes in terms of performance.

waiting for extensive review on this! Also, if possible, can you compare it with AKG K3003i? Thanks b4

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #176 of 213
Quote:

Oh, whenever you can- I'll be very interested to know what you perceive as different!  Thank you...

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #177 of 213
Looking forward for all these review. One question: Can this custom's custom IEM be tune to say Th900 sound signtaure? May not be exactly but similar tonality? similar high and low?

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #178 of 213
I am rethinking my review process for the PRM since it is user tuneable and I want my review to be complete.  Now it is just a matter of doing what I need to do :wink:

I can list the technical differences between the PRM and IERM, but I can't say for sure how this will change with different tunings, at least at this time, so please take this with a grain of salt.  The IERM has a similar presentation to the soundstage space of the PRM, but the IERM midrange is a bit more forward, not quite as spacious, nor as 3D.  Vocals on the IERM are a good deal more forward due to the brightness vs. the tuning on my PRM.  Both image quite well, but the PRM is cleaner and clearer within the soundstage due to a better focus.  Clarity is similar between the two, and the PRM has a bit more instrument detail as well as better recreation of the black space within the presentation.  Note attack and decay is more natural with the PRM, especially in the treble where the IERM can be a bit quick on the attack and decay making notes sharp.  When you combine the little things the PRM does better than the IERM, the resulting sound is more organic, natural, and realistic.

The above comparison was done with the DX100 (1.1.7) and I will be comparing these two more with different sources and have a better feel once I compare with more of my CIEMs.  They may have one driver in common and the single bass driver of the IERM looks about the same size as the dual bass drivers of the PRM.

I am not sure just how much the tonality can be changed as there is a set sound signature, at least in certain ways, but that is part of what I plan on figuring out for my review.  Sorry I can't answer the Th900 question at this time (and haven't hear it so I can't answer that directly anyways).

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #179 of 213
I take it as your tuning of your UEPRM is warmer than the neutral/demo UEPRM? Which would give me a good reference because my sound preference leans to the warmer side :)

Also, can you explain more about the 'set sound signature' of the UEPRM?

Lastly, i just want to reiterate my request to compare UEPRM with AKG K3003i.

Thanks before.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #180 of 213
My PRM is bass = 55, mids = 50, treble = 45, but more to come on that in a few weeks is all I can say right now.  Some of the 'set sound signature' aspects of the PRM are the clarity, soundstage presentation, and note thickness.  I need more time to determine how much things can change, if at all.  

I will see if I can borrow the K3003 again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back