Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Apr 30, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #212 of 213
Posting some answers here to questions asked in @average_joe's nice UERM review thread in this post here.

PRM answers (to questions asked in @average_joe's thread):
As for the "default signature" or "standard", I was sure to ask Mike Dias more than once and in more than one way...and he confirmed that the PRM was not related to the Reference Monitors and that 50-50-50 was not flat.  So it should sound great "out of the box" but can then be further modified from the default tuning to taste or to make up for any "hearing conditions".  I have yet to understand how far it can be tuned, so far it is not like hitting the bass/mids/treble on the car stereo (I read that good explanation somewhere).

Along the way, I'll be meeting up with Bay Area folks and sharing the demos/PRM tuning box.  This should also help with thoughts and impressions.  We will have the benefit of spending more time with the tuning box so we'll try to get the most out of it.  There are several things that I will be paying attention to while doing more extended listening:  tonal balance of course, size of presentation, clarity, coherence, imaging, physicality of note, size of headstage, extension, balance.  

Something to note with the PRM demos I have is that the demo earpieces are a little different from the other customs due to the special dual wires in each earpiece to control the crossovers. The angle of the nozzle does not allow for me to insert them and run the wires "normally" over my ears.  The demos are more like "prototypes" and I have to place the priority on nozzle angle placement and good sound. The wires then stick out and I don't bother to "wear" them like normal fitted customs.  

Focus on the nozzles and sound- you'll get the fit when you order them and send your impressions in. I spent the first session with them thinking the left earpiece was cutting out but I was angling the nozzle wrong to make the dual wires fit over my ear.

May 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #213 of 213
Quote:
Posting some answers here to questions asked in @average_joe's nice UERM review thread in this post here.

PRM answers (to questions asked in @average_joe's thread):
As for the "default signature" or "standard", I was sure to ask Mike Dias more than once and in more than one way...and he confirmed that the PRM was not related to the Reference Monitors and that 50-50-50 was not flat.  So it should sound great "out of the box" but can then be further modified from the default tuning to taste or to make up for any "hearing conditions".  I have yet to understand how far it can be tuned, so far it is not like hitting the bass/mids/treble on the car stereo (I read that good explanation somewhere).

Along the way, I'll be meeting up with Bay Area folks and sharing the demos/PRM tuning box.  This should also help with thoughts and impressions.  We will have the benefit of spending more time with the tuning box so we'll try to get the most out of it.  There are several things that I will be paying attention to while doing more extended listening:  tonal balance of course, size of presentation, clarity, coherence, imaging, physicality of note, size of headstage, extension, balance.  

Something to note with the PRM demos I have is that the demo earpieces are a little different from the other customs due to the special dual wires in each earpiece to control the crossovers. The angle of the nozzle does not allow for me to insert them and run the wires "normally" over my ears.  The demos are more like "prototypes" and I have to place the priority on nozzle angle placement and good sound. The wires then stick out and I don't bother to "wear" them like normal fitted customs.  

Focus on the nozzles and sound- you'll get the fit when you order them and send your impressions in. I spent the first session with them thinking the left earpiece was cutting out but I was angling the nozzle wrong to make the dual wires fit over my ear.

Thanks for reposting CEE TEE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back