Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
May 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #16 of 213
"I wanna be a billionaire, so freakin' bad" ♫
etysmile.gif

May 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #19 of 213
Quote:
Clever, very clever. Wish I had such money to splash at something like that. Anyway UE is doing pretty good after being acquired by Logitech.

yeh that is what i was thinking! i was also hoping that they may be thinking or about to launch a new flagship universal, the TF10 is now 6 years old!

May 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #20 of 213
Quote:
I do not think it will be that bad. you will 'mess around' with the running knobs until you get the sound that you fond the best!

Yeah probably. They only seem to have 3 knobs for each earphone. I guess you can only tune the bass,mids and highs based on the sound signature of its orginal sound signature. So it's probably not adjusting, say 10 EQ bands with different frequencies range (with different Q values)

really clever way to make an extra $1000 though. same like JH3A

May 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #22 of 213
Quote:
 Yeah probably. They only seem to have 3 knobs for each earphone. I guess you can only tune the bass,mids and highs based on the sound signature of its orginal sound signature. So it's probably not adjusting, say 10 EQ bands with different frequencies range (with different Q values)

+1

May 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #23 of 213
Oh yeh of course but that still more customisation than any other company. Thing is it will sound a lot better than EQ and if not welcome the most expensive EQ. How many people will leave it flat ahah!

May 31, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #24 of 213
Quote:

Am I missing something here?

(If) there's only 3 bands to adjust - i.e. the bass, mid, treble, then how is it possible to adjust for 'more bloom to midband, slightly boosted bass, and extra treble sparkle'?

May 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #25 of 213
Quote:

Am I missing something here?

(If) there's only 3 bands to adjust - i.e. the bass, mid, treble, then how is it possible to adjust for 'more bloom to midband, slightly boosted bass, and extra treble sparkle'?

If it's true, I guess you have to use the term "relative" here. Also the source is iphone 4?

May 31, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #26 of 213
can you order just that cable in the pics? i need a new CIEM cable and want something overmolded like that without buying one of the fancy 3rd party ones...

EDIT: never mind, i found them on the website, it was just kind of hard to locate them :)

May 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #27 of 213
What about for someone whose listening preferences differ from one genre to another? especially in terms of overall presentation

Personally I like a more aggressive and engaging sound for Rock, Hip Hop, and electronic music, while I would want a more mellow and intimate sound for Jazz and Country, and ultra transparent and airy presentation for classical. I'm a geek that would prefer on the fly adjustment rather than initially fixed 'configuration'. For that kind of price, I'd want a portable 'tuning box' with a neutral/balance custom-iem and attachable to my media player 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #28 of 213
Quote:
What about for someone whose listening preferences differ from one genre to another? especially in terms of overall presentation

Personally I like a more aggressive and engaging sound for Rock, Hip Hop, and electronic music, while I would want a more mellow and intimate sound for Jazz and Country, and ultra transparent and airy presentation for classical. I'm a geek that would prefer on the fly adjustment rather than initially fixed 'configuration'. For that kind of price, I'd want a portable 'tuning box' with a neutral/balance custom-iem and attachable to my media player 
smily_headphones1.gif

then just use a portable player with a good EQ

May 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #29 of 213
wow, UE, who'd've thunk it... custom custom! personal reference! exciting stuff.

although my inner cynic sez: yikes, people will tune it to whatever... I have to admit, this is a very cool offering. hope it trickles down somehow too.

well jude, if you'd let us know you're riding through town, we could have egged your car said hello and looked over your shoulder here in the OC...

May 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #30 of 213
What I really appreciate is that their newest product is built on the premise of getting the sound right, deliberately without upping the "more drivers is better" ante.  I mean, to offer a 5-driver 3-way design when their previous top offering used 6 speakers (and other manufacturers use more) is pretty bold because it could in fact alienate the size queens out there.  I do wonder why it's not a 4-way design though, because at least in theory there's more specific tuning that's possible with more parameters.  I do also wonder how sales of the other UE customs will fare.  Maybe this will evolve the market into custom sound versus "off the rack" sound sigs for all the leading CIEM houses.

I'd be very interested in reading some owners' impressions as they come in.  Project86, average joe, Evilcalyptic, other CIEM collectors, I'm looking at you guys specifically.  Though it might be hard to get Evil in front of one of those tuning machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back