Tube Amps - Can someone explain to me what to appreciate?
May 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fallingreason

500+ Head-Fier
I've recently been able to try some tube amplifiers both for my stereo system and my D2000.

Of the hours I've spent listening so far, I've made a general observation that tube amps seem to sound less focused and everything is more blended together.  I've also noticed a less precise soundstage, though stereo separation is just as good.  

I even asked my girlfriend who has a nice portable setup but isn't as into speakers and headphones, and she said the tube sounds not as hi-fi, and is a little more blurry, less detailed.

Keep in mind these are simple tube amps (1 or 2 tubes) but I believe they are quite good quality.  The one I am using for headphones is the Mistral HP-509.

I'm just wondering if some members could shed some light on WHY tube is appreciated so much in the hi-fi community.  Yes, I can tell they are very warm and have a very cohesive sound, but as of now I can't say they are more musical or sound better than comparably priced (or even cheaper) solid state amplifiers.

Cheers!

May 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Generally, tube amps are appreciated for the wide soundstage they cast and the richness of their midrange, and can sometimes (depending on implementation) have the effect of rolling off highs slightly (making for a less harsh sound) as well as loosening bass slightly or dampening extension. The overall effect is usually described as sounding more "musical" relative to the more "clinical" approach of solid state equipmet.

What you're describing actually sounds to me like a symptom of an underpowered low-impedance headphone - this can happen when an OTL tube amp (as I assume the Mistral is) is combined with a low-impedance 'phone like the D2000. If I had to guess, if you listened to that amp with something like a high-ohm Beyer or a Sennheiser HD580 or HD6x0, you would appreciate that tube sound a little more (or, alternatively, if you paired the D2000 with a transformer-coupled tube amp or hybrid).

May 10, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Do not assume that all tube amps sound the same. It doesn't surprise me that a cheap OTL sounds warm and fuzzy. Solid state is much better than the cheapies.

If you run a transformer-coupled amp with DC on the filaments, you might be surprised at the increased focus and control over the bass. There are lots of other factors, too. The wonderful thing about tubes is that you can get a wide variety of experiences with them.

Eating a Big Mac doesn't tell you what a nice NY strip should taste like.

May 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Sounds like you've heard a couple of crappy tube amps. OR they've got an especially bad and/or failing tube complement. OR they're a terrible match to your system due to impedance issues. Tube amps can just as easily sound bright and lean when they fall on the other side of "bad". I've also heard bad solid-state sound warm and soupy. 

Tube amps are going to sound pleasantly mushy, at best, when falling below a certain price-point that precludes quality engineering and parts. Sometimes you can cut corners, if you're aware of the tradeoffs given a specific target system. 

Try to hit up a well stocked head-fi meet or find a good hifi shop - that will better indicate whether you find quality tubes worth the pursuit.

A Zana Deux is a wonderful amp - feasible to find at meets - that can show off the superb transparency, neutrality, and musicality of tubes. 

May 10, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 7
+1 for trying other amps. 

The overwhelmingly underwhelming trend in tube amps is to deliberately make them sound fubar'd. Tube amps designed for a clean sound sound nothing like what you described. 

In other amps, I quite like how the sound has a range of sounds and tones depending on the amp. Some amps sound slightly soft, others very hard. Most SS amps just sound extremely hard & rigid, and wheres the fun in that?

May 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Tube amps can sound solid state or they can sound tubey. They can be clear or mushy. They can be all these things on the same amp. By rolling tubes you can get different qualities out of the amp. That is the draw. The d2000 typically IMOH dont do good with most tube amps. They like a lot of current to sound there best. Unfortunately the tube amps that do supply a lot of current, are usually quite expensive. The d2000 really need at least 1w of power at 32 ohms from a tube amp which not alot of them do. A cheap one, relatively speaking to try is the schiit lyr. Plenty of power and you can do a little tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back